Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
Oh, you mean it is a waste to buy a RTW with the pre-paid card. I thought you meant the posted routing was a waste for a RTW.
Both, really, because the prepaid card only can be used on AA marked flights. The routing posted was an attempt to get as far around the world as possible, leaving an open jaw in Asia. It was a response to this post:

Originally Posted by bbkenney
What XONE3 can be done on all AA marked flights? Tell me quick because I need to do one. Everything I try breaks down on that ASIA-EUROPE or AUST-EUROPE part.
So, while we think you could use the card to buy a RTW with the prepaid card, you have this little problem of how to transit Asia on an AA flight. This routing, which is as close as you could come, isn't a very good usage of a RTW, because it is only 3 segments, includes no travel within Europe, very little within Asia, and no travel in North America. Other routings, which might be better usage of a RTW, would leave you with a longer open jaw.

Basically, having to use the RTW only on AA marked flights is very restrictive, and removes most of the value of the RTW for most people.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:38 pm

To make it a bit more useful, one can add the 6 North American segments to either the begining or end of the RTW, so that one has 9 segments of the 20 maximum segments allowed on a xONEx ticket. However starting a RTW in the USA is one of the most expensive places to do so. To recap, generally a waste of the RTW and money.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by headinclouds
However starting a RTW in the USA is one of the most expensive places to do so.
For someone living in the U.S., would it be cheaper to by a separate RT to somewhere else, and have the RTW start and end there? Would Canada work?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:38 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by anabolism
For someone living in the U.S., would it be cheaper to by a separate RT to somewhere else, and have the RTW start and end there? Would Canada work?
In some cases most definitely. Canada no since there is a North American price which covers US and Canada.

Check out the OW Forum. Lots of info there.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:41 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
How about this: buy the RTW with only AA flights on it, fly a segment or two, then reissue it with, say, CX to make it a "proper" RTW with a full 20 segments, pay the $150 change fee and the extra taxes. Any reason why that couldn't work?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
How about this: buy the RTW with only AA flights on it, fly a segment or two, then reissue it with, say, CX to make it a "proper" RTW with a full 20 segments, pay the $150 change fee and the extra taxes. Any reason why that couldn't work?
The problem with this scheme is that in order to have a valid RTW with only AA and AA codeshares for the original ticket requires the use of the ORD-DEL flight and a surface segment in Asia. Can't get the ticket ex-India since there are no AA codeshares into India from an Asian country. Any other Asian country to start which does have AA codeshare flights(HKG-KUL/SIN/DPS/CGK/NRT) is only slightly less than the US price, which is $7800 for a DONE3 or $9600 for an AONE3. And since you fly over Europe (but still pay for it on xONE3), you can't buy the ticket there.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL Gld, AA MM
Originally Posted by gemac
Concur. Certainly not as informative. But we are not supposed to discuss you-know-who.
Lord Voldemort?

Sorry - spent the weekend reading Harry Potter to my nephew...
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Only a matter of time until AA copied UA on this one.
Is UA still offering a similar type of program? I haven't been able to find anything on the UA web site.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stx00820
Lord Voldemort?

We dare not speak his name.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Originally Posted by headinclouds
And since you fly over Europe (but still pay for it on xONE3), you can't buy the ticket there.
Hm. Dang. How about this: issue the ticket from the cheapest originating country in Europe that has AA codeshares, do some bouncing around within Europe, then include a surface segment to India, and continue from there. Intercontinental surface segments are allowed IIRC. It also depends on how extensive the AA codeshares (on oneworld metal) in Europe are.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Since this isn't Brave New World's "1984", he has not become a non-person.
Actually, I'm shocked that I didn't catch this the first time I read it. You are referring to two books, Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley, and 1984, by George Orwell. Brave New World did not take place in 1984.

I'm slippin'.
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stx00820
Lord Voldemort?

Hehe...beat you by a couple hours in another thread

Cheers.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Hehe...beat you by a couple hours in another thread
Aha we now have Those we don't speak of, do we?

... is going on?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wannabe_plat
Aha we now have Those we don't speak of, do we?

... is going on?
See post 232.

As for ... is going on?, I can't say.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
Intercontinental surface segments are allowed IIRC.
Actually, I think they aren't. Best to check over on the OW forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.