Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratnamg
There will be quite a few who'd be happy just becuase they no longer have to get BIS Miles or Points to reach EXP..
Huh?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:21 pm

Location: DFW - AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt - PLT, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I really have no concerns about this personally.
Let folks get a few months at EXP (securing 10K worth of their travel in the process) and then when they drop to Plat-- if the experience of people here is any indication-- they will sorely miss EXP level and, assuming they have it in them in the first place-- will try to qualify for same next year. I'd certainly rather see them accomplish this is this way rather than starting to offer EXP comps and/or EXP challenge, etc.
Jon,
I would agree with you if this were a onetime program. If this program is continued and/or offered again next year it would dilute the EXP level during the second half of the year.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Jon,
I would agree with you if this were a onetime program. If this program is continued and/or offered again next year it would dilute the EXP level during the second half of the year.
Fair 'nuff, before getting too upset, consider the following:

(not really written by me, BTW...)

If we're gonna' talk -only- in hyperbolics and extremes (as opposed to the actual profile of 90% of the people who are most likely to use this offer)-- consider this extreme example:

One can send the $10,000 and get 7 months (a little less even-- and that's if one does it immediately, we haven't really announced this thing even (if it wasn't for you!)) at EP and have to spend the money on AA.

One can take the same $10,000 and easily make EP in early 2007-- either in a week, or a month, or several months, etc. Maybe a nice DONE6 or something. That 10 grand will then yield up to 26 months at EP-- plus flying all over the world in comfort and not having to spend the $$ by the prescribed date. That's more than 3 times as long at EP for the same $$, and a far "better" use of the $$. If you're gonna' look at this from a "mileage runner's" p.o.v.

Not to mention that the VIPs in this offer are extremely "short-dated" compared to earned ones. Many of them will surely go unused (and some will even not use the full 10K, needless to say.)
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
This a breach of the EXP sanctity(if one existed)!!!
Um, the EXP "Sanctity" went away years ago, when they switched from points-only qualification to points or miles.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Jon - has anyone ever gotten final and offical confirmation on

1- are the 8 eVIPs part of this package
2- can existing EXPs purchase the 10k program to get the additional eVIPs

AA never called me back, and I figure you seem to be on the ball on fact vs. fiction
I can't believe that after everything that's been posted here you even considered that #2 was still a possibility. What dark space has your head been in?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
I just want to know if the $10,000 EXP cards are going to be in the Gift Card sections of Safeways, Randalls, Tom Thumbs, and Dominicks locations next to the $100 AA Gift Cards. That would be really sweet!!!

Even the $5,000 Platinum cards and $2,500 Gold cards would grab many looks.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade

Not to mention that the VIPs in this offer are extremely "short-dated" compared to earned ones. Many of them will surely go unused (and some will even not use the full 10K, needless to say.)

Agree with the rest of it, but doesn't the above just mean that the value of Feb 07 eVIPs on CC has dropped? or can we assume that all these new EXPs would not know of CC (I have only seen one or two here who have signed up).
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alect
Agree with the rest of it, but doesn't the above just mean that the value of Feb 07 eVIPs on CC has dropped? or can we assume that all these new EXPs would not know of CC (I have only seen one or two here who have signed up).
Personally, I see that as a complete and total non-issue.

And, in any case, AA most certainly is not concerning themselves with the value of VIPs on the black(ish) market when they make their decisions.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Personally, I see that as a complete and total non-issue.

And, in any case, AA most certainly is not concerning themselves with the value of VIPs on the black(ish) market when they make their decisions.
No doubt !! A purely selfish question.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CO FF
The timing of this really sucks. My travel spend on AA from March 28-June 10 was way north of $10k...including 3 $1800 o/w J transcons.

A serious question: I read the T&C, and it doesn't mention anything about eVIPs. Does anyone know if these "bought" EXPs come with eVIPs?
Now, if it came with Evips, I would see more people buying it.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Now, if it came with Evips..
It does.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:50 pm

One can send the $10,000 and get 7 months (a little less even-- and that's if one does it immediately, we haven't really announced this thing even (if it wasn't for you!)) at EP and have to spend the money on AA.

One can take the same $10,000 and easily make EP in early 2007-- either in a week, or a month, or several months, etc. Maybe a nice DONE6 or something. That 10 grand will then yield up to 26 months at EP-- plus flying all over the world in comfort and not having to spend the $$ by the prescribed date. That's more than 3 times as long at EP for the same $$, and a far "better" use of the $$. If you're gonna' look at this from a "mileage runner's" p.o.v.
Amen!

We have unimpeachable evidence that AA is not targeting "typical" FT'ers with this offer. They are targeting our colleagues at work who have always pooh-poohed mileage and status as "too much trouble" to bother with the programs. First of all, I doubt many of the 10K card buyers will hear of, figure out, and be able to use 8 evips's by 2/28/07 [much less put them up for grabs on CC]. These are the sort of people who won't realize EXP even has serious benefits until they see themselves pop to the top of an upgrade/standby list, or get directed to the BA FIRST lounge.

If even a few of the 10K cardholders end up in the First section of the Wing in HKG and choose to make 2007 a serious requal year, fine by me.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin33
Amen!

We have unimpeachable evidence that AA is not targeting "typical" FT'ers with this offer. They are targeting our colleagues at work who have always pooh-poohed mileage and status as "too much trouble" to bother with the programs. First of all, I doubt many of the 10K card buyers will hear of, figure out, and be able to use 8 evips's by 2/28/07 [much less put them up for grabs on CC]. These are the sort of people who won't realize EXP even has serious benefits until they see themselves pop to the top of an upgrade/standby list, or get directed to the BA FIRST lounge.

If even a few of the 10K cardholders end up in the First section of the Wing in HKG and choose to make 2007 a serious requal year, fine by me.
Nicely put. Also, having access to the EP desk-- and then having it unceremoniously yanked away-- has been proven to induce withdrawal symptoms in folks who like to deal with competent, friendly and efficient agents. AA is very, very proud of it's EP desk (and rightly so) and I think this really might help some non-status-obsessed AAdvantage members (read: most heavy duty spenders who fly AA) understand why they "need" to direct all/most/much of their travel to one program/alliance.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:18 am

Fair 'nuff, before getting too upset, consider the following:

(not really written by me, BTW...)

Not to mention that the VIPs in this offer are extremely "short-dated" compared to earned ones. Many of them will surely go unused

And many of the many "unused" will be extended due to compliants.
The squeeky wheel gets the oil.
Domestic flyers wont be the chief complainers.
Purchasers who fly Int. and don't clear WILL complain.

(and some will even not use the full 10K, needless to say.)
i agree with you on this. any prepaid card or certificate is likely to have a certain "shrinkage". Think the previously available AA Incentive certs in J to deep couth america for $2400,
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:04 am

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
Is it possible to buy this card - with a European address?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.