Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
No, you cannot get them extended. And didn't we determine that the VIPs are good only through Feb. 07, and not Feb. 08?[/QUOTE]

I Know...I am counting on AA extending this program after next year...so, I will buy the EXP card next year, so I will get a full year's worht...and I will gift the VIP to family or FT freinds...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:16 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anaggie

I Know...I am counting on AA extending this program after next year...so, I will buy the EXP card next year, so I will get a full year's worht...and I will gift the VIP to family or FT freinds...

That's a big assumption on your part. I would not plan on this offer being available on January 1 2007. Later in 2007 - seems likely. I would not expect it to be there.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:20 pm

well..if it is there, it is there...if not, not...I have been flying Y for years...no big deal...

just trying to ge ta cheaper way to the front...just like everybody else on this forum..

Also, the automatic upgrades do help on doemstic tickets...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have been flying Y for years...no big deal...
Did they teach you anything at that "school" of yours?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Did they teach you anything at that "school" of yours?

learned a lot...but the President of my company is my dad until he retires and he will not let us fly above Y...

so...gotta wait it out...or find other creative avenues...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
If we see this again next year IMO it'll be the same sort of deal, a midyear revenue boost for AA that expires in Feb of '07. I think it's genius. It's not a huge dilution in benefits (how many people will do this anyway?) but for people like me who lost EXP and won't requal this year I will now be flying AA exclusively whereas previously I was splitting travel between CO and AA if CO had an -UP fare within $200 of AA coach.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I am counting on AA extending this program after next year...so, I will buy the EXP card next year, so I will get a full year's worht...
I join HNL... The chances of AA making this an ongoing, predictable program is so very tiny... PLEASE do not count on it, dream for it, anticipate it, or even consider it. If it was ongoing, and lasted a year, it would be terribly destructive to their otherwise strong loyalty program. It MIGHT come back as a around-seven month program again. But I doubt even that will be predictable.

They can't make EXP be generally purchaseable. It would tick off the EXP earners. This only slipped under the radar due to the short-term nature of the program. The EXP flyer base is too valuable to AA to screw up. They know it. We know it. And that is also why there isn't a generally available EXP challenge!

FOr a small subset of people, this is a good benefit at the right time. And doesn't offend most EXPs, because they see the very real limitations. 7 months. No benefit past 2/28/07 (or stretched slightly at a cost). It is a great teaser, and may give them a few more EXP earners next year due to the "trial membership" this year.

The question I have to ask is "Why did AA even bother?". I mean it is cool and all that, but could this POSSIBLY have a material affect on their loyalty program? Maybe 1000 people? Maybe 5000 people? I hardly think so. A no-brainer for any frequent international J or F person. Very rich people to sway if you can... but will this program really do it?

And worse... how does AA measure "success" of this program?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:29 pm

yeah...but if they do it starting in March of next year...it would probably get a bunch of people on board since it would be a full year..
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
yeah...but if they do it starting in March of next year...it would probably get a bunch of people on board since it would be a full year..
But the point is, they WON'T. They CAN'T. They can't change the universe that much without catastrophic downsides.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL MM, NH, UA, IHG Plat
I purchased the $10k prepaid card and obtained EXP status. I received the card about 12 days ago. Today I received two items:

1) by mail my EXP card and a brochure which states " . . . you have received eight systemwide upgrades . . . being sure to complete travel by February 29, 2008".

2) by email an update on my eVIP balance which shows 8 eVIPS expiring February 2007.

At first I thought these contradicted each other, but on second thought I suspect it means I can redeem the eVIPS through Feb 2007 for travel to be completed by Feb 2008. Can anyone confirm that interpretation. Many thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ny flyer
At first I thought these contradicted each other, but on second thought I suspect it means I can redeem the eVIPS through Feb 2007 for travel to be completed by Feb 2008. Can anyone confirm that interpretation. Many thanks.
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. VIPs expire when the status expires. Here's a quote from my now-monthly upgrade bank update, which is probably the same as you got: "You can travel using your upgrades through their expiration date."

I think the brochure you got is a "mistake" -- anyone qualifying today for EXP "for real" would get that same brochure, which is for 2007 EXP. Those VIPs would, in fact, be valid through 2/29/08. Your EXP-lite status is for the 2006 year.

You could try calling AA and see if they'll do anything, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by 925
I join HNL... The chances of AA making this an ongoing, predictable program is so very tiny... PLEASE do not count on it, dream for it, anticipate it, or even consider it. If it was ongoing, and lasted a year, it would be terribly destructive to their otherwise strong loyalty program. It MIGHT come back as a around-seven month program again. But I doubt even that will be predictable.

They can't make EXP be generally purchaseable. It would tick off the EXP earners. This only slipped under the radar due to the short-term nature of the program. The EXP flyer base is too valuable to AA to screw up. They know it. We know it. And that is also why there isn't a generally available EXP challenge!

FOr a small subset of people, this is a good benefit at the right time. And doesn't offend most EXPs, because they see the very real limitations. 7 months. No benefit past 2/28/07 (or stretched slightly at a cost). It is a great teaser, and may give them a few more EXP earners next year due to the "trial membership" this year.

The question I have to ask is "Why did AA even bother?". I mean it is cool and all that, but could this POSSIBLY have a material affect on their loyalty program? Maybe 1000 people? Maybe 5000 people? I hardly think so. A no-brainer for any frequent international J or F person. Very rich people to sway if you can... but will this program really do it?

And worse... how does AA measure "success" of this program?
Part of the reason is to match UA's offering I'm sure. Another reason is that it helps them capture revenue they might not otherwise receive. I'm case in point of this. Also, for some once they get a 'taste' of EXP they'll want to keep earning it to keep the benefits. If AA gains 1,000 excellent customers because of this, it's a win, no? After all, what has this program cost them??? In marketing terms, nothing.

As for my experience, I haven't received the UATP card yet but my status was upgraded just about instantaneously. I ordered online Monday night, they had it in the system Tuesday and it's showing on the website today. Not sure about the VIP expiration date but I'm sure it'll be identical to ny flyer's.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ny flyer
I purchased the $10k prepaid card and obtained EXP status. I received the card about 12 days ago. Today I received two items:

1) by mail my EXP card and a brochure which states " . . . you have received eight systemwide upgrades . . . being sure to complete travel by February 29, 2008".

2) by email an update on my eVIP balance which shows 8 eVIPS expiring February 2007.

Thats been the subject of endless discussion around here. In my own experience, I have been able to use them as long as they are pinned to a purchased ticket, booked and paid for before the end of February. I dont remember the details but my travel was after February, but waayy less than a year after.

I know there are different opinions out there, just telling you what has actually happened to me 3 or 4 times.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Keep in mind that if they do it early next year, in response to United or whatever, the price is $20,000 for top tier, not $10,000.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by bbkenney
Keep in mind that if they do it early next year, in response to United or whatever, the price is $20,000 for top tier, not $10,000.

where did the 20,000 come from? Is this AA literature?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.