Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by girlsmom4
Long Long time lurker (as in years!) and finally posting!!!

Hoping to take a family of 6 on the following itinerary June/July 2011 with a few days in each location:
IAD-MAD (AA)
MAD-AMS (IB)
AMS-LGW (BA)
LHR-IAD (BA)

I think (if I calculated correctly), mileage on this trip is less than 9,000 so I can use a OW award (coach) for 60,000 AA miles/each total trip. Is that correct?

And does this itinerary abide by all the rules (aa plus 2 other carriers)? I'm also a little confused about the BA rule to north america... can we return on BA from LHR to IAD?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks so much.
This is a good use of OneWorld award because for the same cost of a peak coach award you can have stopovers in Europe. Europe is a perfect destination to use OneWorld award from East Coast versus the regular award. Just keep in mind OW awards cannot be change in any way other than date / time / flight number of the same carrier/same routing after ticketing, not even with a fee. You cannot even change from LGW to LHR for example. All partner award is much more flexible in this regard.

As of now, you cannot cross the pond on BA. However after the approval of ATI (coming very soon), you may.

Even in coach, 6 award seats on same flight TATL may not be achievable. You may have to break up your party in 2 groups and take different flights.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 12, 2010 at 11:43 am
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:36 am

As a side note, if you really want BA on the transatlantic, you're permitted to fly London to Canada or Mexico for example, and then connect to an AA flight to IAD.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:43 am

"Even in coach, 6 award seats on same flight TATL may not be achievable. You may have to break up your party in 2 groups and take different flights."

Even if 4 of those 6 are children?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: A few
fact that they are kids won't help you at all. a seat is a seat

however ba does have very good availability for larger groups. For example looking at 7 Jun 2011 (today + 330 - the earliest you can book this) then there are 6 flights between NYC and LHR that BA has 6 Y seats available (as well 4 in biz and 2 in first)

once aa/ba have the anti-trust they will open up but when exactly it will be implemented is not yet addressed.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Even in coach, 6 award seats on same flight TATL may not be achievable. You may have to break up your party in 2 groups and take different flights."

Well, dont they require seats for their own?

You cannot possibly have 2 adults and 4 lapchildren, can you?

BTW, dont think children would cost you less miles. And for infants (lapchildren), you actually pay 10% of the REGULAR fare in Money when flying them on award tickets.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 12, 2010 at 11:58 am
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Award availability does not vary by age of the passenger, so you may have no choice but to split up if you want the trip to be entirely on miles.

Also, keep in mind that IB offers nonstop service from IAD to MAD on certain days of the week.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]

Also, keep in mind that IB offers nonstop service from IAD to MAD on certain days of the week.
Actually the flight I was looking at is a AA/IB codeshare -- so it's nonstop.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:09 pm

IB and AA both offer non-stop service from IAD to MAD

BA offer non stop service to LHR from IAD

You know BA may be a better choice for you than AA one world given number of kids. BA allow stopovers (I think unlimited?) on their round-trip awards, you can use the same OW partners, and best of all kids can redeem at 50% of the mileage of adults. I only found this out by accident trying to do some dummy booking on the website for my family and the miles looked very low, but managed to work out it was the kids rate. That said their taxes and surcharges are high, though you may be able to get round this if you do the transatlantic section to MAD both ways, then just intra-Europe flights to LHR. (The high taxes kick in when you go TATL to London)
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Are you sure about this?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:20 pm

BA offer non stop service to LHR from IAD

You know BA may be a better choice for you than AA one world given number of kids. BA allow stopovers (I think unlimited?) on their round-trip awards, you can use the same OW partners, and best of all kids can redeem at 50% of the mileage of adults. I only found this out by accident trying to do some dummy booking on the website for my family and the miles looked very low, but managed to work out it was the kids rate. That said their taxes and surcharges are high, though you may be able to get round this if you do the transatlantic section to MAD both ways, then just intra-Europe flights to LHR. (The high taxes kick in when you go TATL to London)
I can book a BA award using my AA miles?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Are you sure about this?
sorry you are right... ib offer mad-iad. aa is mad-jfk. i've been looking at so many routings my head is in a spin!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:27 pm

I can book a BA award using my AA miles?
no, sorry.

if you had ba miles, this would be a good way to redeem.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:31 pm

no, sorry.

if you had ba miles, this would be a good way to redeem.
Yes, that's what I thought. That's why I was confused by what ma91pmh posted above... that BA requires fewer award miles for children. Not sure how I'd be able to capitalize on that if I'm only dealing with AA miles.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
And for infants (lapchildren), you actually pay 10% of the REGULAR fare in Money when flying them on award tickets.
We'll have a lap child on a OW150C RTW trip we're planning for Q1 2012, and that's something I've been wondering about. An EXP agent I mentioned it to said that 10% of the regular fare wouldn't be much, but since they'll be business class tickets, I really wonder. I don't mind getting an extra seat, but would rather only do 4 instead of 5 if necessary. I have a feeling we would need to split into two groups for more flights with 5, which would be more inconvenient than having a child in our lap.

Tentative itinerary: HNL-NAN-AKL-SYD-PER-JNB-SCL-RIO-MIA (DFW-HNL and MIA-DFW staging flights will be on another carrier or ticket.)

We're only in the very preliminary stages of research at this point, so we may have other issues that I don't know about yet.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
...Tentative itinerary: HNL-NAN-AKL-SYD-PER-JNB-SCL-RIO-MIA...

We're only in the very preliminary stages of research at this point, so we may have other issues that I don't know about yet.
Yep - you have issues

According to AA OW Award rules you can only use OW carriers, so:
HNL-NAN-AKL is out - this would be on FJ, which is not a OW carrier
PER-JNB is out - QF only codeshares, on SA, and such codeshares are not allowed
JNB-SCL - which carrier flies this? AFAIK no OW carrier flies between Africa and Sth America

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.