Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
We'll have a lap child on a OW150C RTW trip we're planning for Q1 2012, and that's something I've been wondering about. An EXP agent I mentioned it to said that 10% of the regular fare wouldn't be much, but since they'll be business class tickets, I really wonder. I don't mind getting an extra seat, but would rather only do 4 instead of 5 if necessary. I have a feeling we would need to split into two groups for more flights with 5, which would be more inconvenient than having a child in our lap.

Tentative itinerary: HNL-NAN-AKL-SYD-PER-JNB-SCL-RIO-MIA (DFW-HNL and MIA-DFW staging flights will be on another carrier or ticket.)

We're only in the very preliminary stages of research at this point, so we may have other issues that I don't know about yet.
Your itinerary does not work because several segments are not served by OneWorld Member Airlines.

You need to use the Interactive route map on OneWorld site - it is a very good one - to find what routes you need to fly in order to visit those places you have on your original itinerary. Only look at the Blue routes and ignore the Red routes which are codeshare flights and not eligible for OneWorld award.

You do not get a seat for the infant. It is a lap child. The child sits on your lap. But you still have to pay for it on international flights.

There are people eventually opted to redeem full fledged awards to travel in coach so the infant also had a seat, and having the whole row for the family actually made things easier than a lap child in premium cabin.

You may want to do a search on lap child fee on award tickets - there are at least 2 or 3 such lengthy threads started by people who were caught by surprise. In one of these threads, a poster detailed out how he learned about the fee and how the fee is calculated, especially if there is an upgrade involved.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Can anyone help with rules for open jaws and stopovers for a OW award?

I am planning to fly the following as an award:
PVG-HKG / LHR-AGP-MAD-LHR-PVG

My question is, can I stopover the second time in LHR (before flying LHR-PVG) or does using LHR as one end of an open jaw prevent this?

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:58 pm

How early should I book ? – OW award with AA miles.

I have a question for those of you with more experience with OW awards. Let’s say I want to make a trip in the fall of 2011. Let’s also assume I want to make another OW trip in the spring of 2012. The first trip would be an OW130 (20K miles in biz). Same thing for the second trip.

It goes like this. Sept-Oct of 2011 ORD-PEK-KIX-HEL-LED-LHR-ORD (about 18K MILES).
Feb-Mar 2012 ORD-NRT-BKK-HKG-HAN-NRT-ORD (19,XXX miles) connection only in NRT both ways.

Total cost for both trips is 520,000 miles for two, in biz.

I have read about people combining trips like this by not returning to the originating city (ORD) in the middle of the itinerary. In this particular case, I could do something like :

ORD-NRT-KIX-PEK-HEL-LED-LHR-BOS, LAX-HKG-HAN-HKG-BKK-DEL-ORD (34,645 miles). First half of the trip (ORD thru BOS) in September 2011, second half (LAX thru ORD) in February 2012. I would buy a cheap one way ticket from BOS-ORD and another one-way ticket from ORD-SFO 5 months later.

Total cost is 380,000 miles for two in biz (a "saving" of 140,000 miles), or 560,000 miles for two in first . I would really love to do all this in first.

The big concern now becomes waiting until march 2011 to schedule the first part of the trip, since tickets are only valid for 1 year from the date they are issued.

So, in your opinion, is it reasonable to assume I will be able to find good seats on the right dates for the first portion of this itinerary if I call in March 2011 for travel in September 2011???

Is there any other way I could combine the trip without jeopardizing seat availability for the first portion of the itinerary?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by justin1123
Can anyone help with rules for open jaws and stopovers for a OW award?

I am planning to fly the following as an award:
PVG-HKG / LHR-AGP-MAD-LHR-PVG

My question is, can I stopover the second time in LHR (before flying LHR-PVG) or does using LHR as one end of an open jaw prevent this?

Thanks!
the open jaw counts as a stopover point so the 6-hour rule would apply the second time.

this is an interesting test case, though, of "open jaw". oneworld awards are technically (deep in the rules) the only AAdvantage awards that are still round-trip, hence the need to return to the origin if the trip includes an open jaw. If PVG is the "origin", and AGP or MAD the "destination", can the bulk of the distance between the two, HKG-LHR, be an open jaw? Please let us know if this is ticketable!

Originally Posted by Scooby3597
I could do something like :

ORD-NRT-KIX-PEK-HEL-LED-LHR-BOS, LAX-HKG-HAN-HKG-BKK-DEL-ORD (34,645 miles). First half of the trip (ORD thru BOS) in September 2011, second half (LAX thru ORD) in February 2012. I would buy a cheap one way ticket from BOS-ORD and another one-way ticket from ORD-SFO 5 months later.

Total cost is 380,000 miles for two in biz (a "saving" of 140,000 miles), or 560,000 miles for two in first . I would really love to do all this in first.

The big concern now becomes waiting until march 2011 to schedule the first part of the trip, since tickets are only valid for 1 year from the date they are issued.
It seems like issues with routing could arise since your proposed trip crosses both oceans twice in the westerly direction. Even a single "round-the-world" type oneworld award still has an origin and destination, with (possibly many) stopovers. Wrapping around the globe twice, as your trip would, doesn't seem compatible with that. It would be pleasant to learn that that is definitely possible, though!

Suppose it's all fine. Can you book half in October, and half next April? Even if you squeezed in every segment with placeholder dates in September 2011, you'd still not be able to delay ticketing past, say, November 2010. It's hard to see an alternative to waiting for April and taking one's chances for September 2011.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Yep - you have issues

According to AA OW Award rules you can only use OW carriers, so:
HNL-NAN-AKL is out - this would be on FJ, which is not a OW carrier
PER-JNB is out - QF only codeshares, on SA, and such codeshares are not allowed
JNB-SCL - which carrier flies this? AFAIK no OW carrier flies between Africa and Sth America
Originally Posted by Happy
Your itinerary does not work because several segments are not served by OneWorld Member Airlines.

You need to use the Interactive route map on OneWorld site - it is a very good one - to find what routes you need to fly in order to visit those places you have on your original itinerary. Only look at the Blue routes and ignore the Red routes which are codeshare flights and not eligible for OneWorld award.
Thanks, guys! I did use the Interactive route map on OneWorld.com, but those must have been Red routes. Back to the drawing board, but with a little more knowledge this time around.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:19 pm

How do I check the remaining sectors on my OW award are alright? I have used part of the ticket already and I actually got miles when I shouldn't have. I would liek to check the remaining flights but don't want to let AA know about the miles. I have logged on to AA.com and pulled up the itinerary.

Do I call AA and just ask for the itinerary to be emailed? But that won't show anything different from when I logged on will it? When I logged on only the non flown flights showed up.

Or, should I call each individual airline directly?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Here's what I have reserved

LAX-JFK-LHR-LIS-MAD-VCE- ORY (via MAD); CDG-LAX

My concern is the Venice to Paris Orly via Madrid is not shown as a valid route on Iberia's website. The agent forced it through, but now I'm worried it won't ticket because it's going to be considered a stopover or some other tripwire.

Anyone know the reason that VCE-ORY is not shown as a valid route on IB? Anyone knows if this will stop the ticketing (or give me problems if I need to change it down the road)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by beachfan
Here's what I have reserved

LAX-JFK-LHR-LIS-MAD-VCE- ORY (via MAD); CDG-LAX

My concern is the Venice to Paris Orly via Madrid is not shown as a valid route on Iberia's website. The agent forced it through, but now I'm worried it won't ticket because it's going to be considered a stopover or some other tripwire.

Anyone know the reason that VCE-ORY is not shown as a valid route on IB? Anyone knows if this will stop the ticketing (or give me problems if I need to change it down the road)?

Thanks in advance!
I do not think it matters that IB does not show VCE-MAD-ORY as a valid routing. You are flying on a oneworld award, which has its own routing rules. And as to changing the routing after it is ticketed, that's not an option on oneworld awards, unless there is a significant schedule change, flight cancellation, etc.

On an unrelated note, if you are willing to begin and end your trip in another (non-co-terminal) airport, like SAN or LAS, you could add on a separate side trip (weeks or months later) from LAX to another destination (like Hawaii) and back to your origin airport at no additional mileage cost. (Your proposed itinerary is a little over 14,000 miles, and that puts it into the 14,000-20,000 miles oneworld award band.) Just something else to consider.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

beachfan, one other thought: Did you ask AA to check availability for VCE-LHR-CDG via BA, rather than VCE-MAD-ORY via IB? The routing via LHR would save some mileage, just in case you decide to add on an additional trip to the award.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

beachfan, one other thought: Did you ask AA to check availability for VCE-LHR-CDG via BA, rather than VCE-MAD-ORY via IB? The routing via LHR would save some mileage, just in case you decide to add on an additional trip to the award.
I believe BA flies between VCE and LGW, instead of LHR. If you need it as a connection, allow at least 3 hours between LGW and LHR.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy

I believe BA flies between VCE and LGW, instead of LHR. If you need it as a connection, allow at least 3 hours between LGW and LHR.
According to the oneworld timetable, BA operates a morning flight from VCE to LHR. And by the way, a connection from VCE to CDG through BUD on MA would also be somewhat less mileage than VCE-MAD-ORY. But it's all moot, unless beachfan wants to extend the itinerary.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, make that an afternoon departure from VCE to LHR on BA. BA also operates a few VCE-LGW flights.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the oneworld timetable, BA operates a morning flight from VCE to LHR. And by the way, a connection from VCE to CDG through BUD on MA would also be somewhat less mileage than VCE-MAD-ORY. But it's all moot, unless beachfan wants to extend the itinerary.
Or find a way to bring it below 14.000 for a lower level award.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

I've been checking using the BA website while I'm on hold. You are right, it's quite appealing. Might save me 15k each.

But I'm advancing the dates of these tickets (they are a week front to back, without restricting intended stopovers are more than 24 hours), and that means the day I want isn't the day I'm going to ticket (outbound won't be available when return is open for booking). So I want to make sure it's on a fairly available route, IB. BA LHR-VCE is closed more months next May/June but VCE-LHR is available. Should I be suspicious that it won't be there when I need it? IB seems wide open.

Makes me worried about BA VCE-LHR-CDG when I need it.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:11 pm

On an unrelated note, if you are willing to begin and end your trip in another (non-co-terminal) airport, like SAN or LAS, you could add on a separate side trip (weeks or months later) from LAX to another destination (like Hawaii) and back to your origin airport at no additional mileage cost. (Your proposed itinerary is a little over 14,000 miles, and that puts it into the 14,000-20,000 miles oneworld award band.) Just something else to consider.
Excellent idea! For the cost of a RT to Vegas, I get Vegas and Hawaii!

Does this work? Start with a weekend in Vegas, go LGA/LAX/LIH and come back over Thanksgiving, and then start my regular trip?

I'll have to check how long an open jaw can be.

Thanks for the tip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.