Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by ny flyer
I've reserved:

IAD-DFW-NRT-HKG-MEL-xHKG-LHR-JFK-DCA

This puts me in the 25k-35k award category (F award 280k miles), but just over 25k, so I have the possibility to add flights to my trip without having to spend more miles. As far as I can tell from reading this thread, I can revise the end of my trip to add 2 more transatlantic crossings without spending more miles, e.g.:

IAD-DFW-NRT-HKG-MEL-xHKG-LHR-BOS-CDG-JFK

Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
Yes. Since the OW awards are mileage based now.

Where you able to reserve most of this in F?

Somebody correct me if Im wrong, but there seems to be NO F SERVICE on most of your routings:

NRT-HKG-MEL-HKG. CX doesnt offer F to MEL. QF is downgrading F on most routes, don't know if you can still get it. LHR-BOS (I think this is on a 763) BOS-CDG (I think this is on a 757). CDG-JFK (I think this is on a 763).

Maybe you can save miles and go J award instead and or revise your routing.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL MM, NH, UA, IHG Plat
Thanks for your reply and confirmation. In answer to your question, yes I have been able to book all the segments as far as JFK in F:

IAD-DFW AA F (domestic)
DFW-NRT AA F
NRT-HKG JL F (the morning JL flight offers F on this route on my travel date)
HKG-MEL-HKG QF F (day flight to MEL, overnight flight on return both F)
HKG-LHR CX F
LHR-JFK AA F

For the transatlantic legs I am going to add, I will relook at the routes and either find AA routes with F or use BA to Canada. Then I need to call AA.
Thanks again!
Old May 27, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL MM, NH, UA, IHG Plat
Well just to complete the story, I called AA and added JFK-MAD-MIA as the final legs (business as first not offered). So for no additional miles I was able to add another transatlantic round trip. This is a great award.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Hey everybody,

First time booking a one world award on AA~

Looking to get in business: per-hkg-icn-ngo-kix-fuk-cts-hnd-kkj-nrt-hnl-syd-per

Been trying to look for availability, for CX flights on Asia miles and for JL flights on JLMB, but i'm not sure if these are accurate if I was to redeem on AA. Any advice on availability? I'd be booking this around 3 months out. And is KVS the best tool to look for availability?

Thanks all!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by peachy3
Hey everybody,

First time booking a one world award on AA~

Looking to get in business: per-hkg-icn-ngo-kix-fuk-cts-hnd-kkj-nrt-hnl-syd-per

Been trying to look for availability, for CX flights on Asia miles and for JL flights on JLMB, but i'm not sure if these are accurate if I was to redeem on AA. Any advice on availability? I'd be booking this around 3 months out. And is KVS the best tool to look for availability?

Thanks all!
the inventory's the same whatever tool you like for searching.

the trip would not be doable, however, with 2 stopovers at Tokyo. One pass through the city would have to be a connection instead, under the 6-hour rule.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Thanks a lot for that! Yup, one of the tokyo is for connection only.

JAL only seems to be able to see domestic flights that are 2 months ahead... is there another free tool which can give availability?

What do you think the likelyhood of that route in business being bookable?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:59 am
AHO

JAL only seems to be able to see domestic flights that are 2 months ahead... is there another free tool which can give availability?
You can check JAL domestic routes through BA Executive Club.
However, as long as you use AA miles, you cannot book domestic Japan sector which occurs further than 2 months from the date of booking.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AHO
You can check JAL domestic routes through BA Executive Club.
However, as long as you use AA miles, you cannot book domestic Japan sector which occurs further than 2 months from the date of booking.
Not the case in the past. No idea what the current rules are.

I had booked JL domestic segment 5 months out. You would not get seat assignment until 2 months out, but they were bookable when I did it in Dec 2008 for June 2009.

OTOH, is there flight between ICN and NGO?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks a lot for that! Yup, one of the tokyo is for connection only.

What do you think the likelyhood of that route in business being bookable?

Thanks again!
For OW business class award, all JL domestic segment will be booked in Y.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:49 am
AHO

Originally Posted by Happy
Not the case in the past. No idea what the current rules are.

I had booked JL domestic segment 5 months out. You would not get seat assignment until 2 months out, but they were bookable when I did it in Dec 2008 for June 2009.
I'm talking about domestic Japan sector only award.

According to AAdvantage website,

Legal:
All awards are for round-trip travel. Standard MileSAAverSM capacity controls and embargo dates apply. Award travel is not valid on codeshare flights and is not valid on British Airways nonstop transatlantic flights to/from the U.S. Awards wholly within Japan can only be booked within two months of the return flight. Certain restrictions apply on oneworld multi-carrier awards.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AHO
I'm talking about domestic Japan sector only award.

According to AAdvantage website,
But the OP is talking about a OW award, which by definition cannot be a domestic Japanese sector only award.

Apple and Orange I would say.

Therefore such restriction does not apply and is irrelevant to what the OP wants to do, unless AA has changed the rules.

However I doubt that such rule change has occurred to OW award which usually is booked outside a 2 months window for majority of bookings.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 4, 2010 at 10:12 am
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, FFFWP
changes on award ticker

Are the change fees to an award ticket basically the same as the fee for redepositing the miles and booking a new itinerary? I want to change the route and carrier for a December trip.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ktravelbear
Are the change fees to an award ticket basically the same as the fee for redepositing the miles and booking a new itinerary? I want to change the route and carrier for a December trip.
Unlike AA or All Partner award, OneWorld award does not allow any change other than date and time once ticketed.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, FFFWP
Okay, what does AA allow, since my return trip one way booking was on AA miles-NRT-DFW-DTW on AA metal. My originating trip is on Cathay Pacific and I now want to return from Hong Kong instead of NRT. Do I have to redeposit my miles to AA and rebook, or can I just call AA and tell them I want to change the itinerary to a Oneworld carrier?
Hope this isn't the wrong forum for this question.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ktravelbear
Okay, what does AA allow, since my return trip one way booking was on AA miles-NRT-DFW-DTW on AA metal. My originating trip is on Cathay Pacific and I now want to return from Hong Kong instead of NRT. Do I have to redeposit my miles to AA and rebook, or can I just call AA and tell them I want to change the itinerary to a Oneworld carrier?
Hope this isn't the wrong forum for this question.
You probably booked a partner award instead of OneWorld award - they are 2 completely different types and rules are very different.

Yes it is in the wrong thread if your award is a partner award. See the thread title.

But to address your question, you would have to pay $150 change fee for that change because you change the destination from NRT to HKG as well as carrier from AA to CX. Just call AA to check if there is award seat on CX for you to change to.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 14, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.