Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

beachfan, what I was suggesting was that you start your trip to Europe from another nearby airport (like LAS, SAN, or SBA) then "stop over" in LAX on your way back, before proceeding on to another destination (like Hawaii, Cancun, etc.). I suppose you could do the Hawaii trip first, but you must observe the oneworld rules: not more than one stopover in any city or its co-terminals, not more than two connections through the same city, and no stopovers or connections in the first or last city on the itinerary. You can use the Great Circle mapper or similar tool to estimate the total itinerary mileage, to make sure that your mileage does not exceed what is allowed for your particular award. If you fly LAS-NYC-LAX-LIH-LAX before starting your trip to Europe the total mileage for the trip will push you well into the 20,001-25,000 mile award band.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Ahh, but in that direction, it's problematic. Ticket is only good for 365 days, and I'm going to have it issued at probably 320 days or so, and the trip will be 24 days, so that leaves me only 21 days to complete the second trip. (am I missing something)

That's why the LAX layover at the beginning.

I have to check out SBA, that's only 25 miles further from me than LAX.

I'll have to write it out, I didn't see where

LAS-LAX(conn)-Hawaii-LAX(layover)-Europe-LAX(conn)-SBA has more trickiness than

LAS-LAX(conn)-Europe-LAX(layover)-Hawaii-LAX(conn)-SBA.

But you are right about the mileage, I think. And I'm not sure where else is worth the hassle.

(The miles are 15,739 according to great circle mapper. Did I do it wrong? (I have to connect through MAD between VCE and ORY).
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

There's no problem doing Hawaii and the LAX stopover at the beginning. The following itinerary comes in at 19,995 (!) miles on the Great Circle mapper, but requires you to do the VCE-LHR-CDG connection, and only gets you to OGG, not LIH:

Sba-lax (connection)-ogg-lax (stopover)-jfk-lhr (stopover)-lis-mad-vce-lhr (connection)-cdg-lhr (connection)-lax (connection)-las

Of course, if you don't want to bother with LAS at the end of your trip, you could substitute LAX-SBA for LAX-LAS. (And if you missed your flight to SBA after clearing customs and immigration at LAX, I doubt that AA would care.)

If you can book VCE-LHR-CDG for the date you want, I would not worry about a subsequent schedule change. If BA should stop flying the VCE-LHR route after your ticket were issued, I suspect that they would reaccommodate you on VCE-MAD-ORY, or VCE-BUD-CDG without any additional mileage charge. (Of course, you could also think about flying VCE-PAR on a budget airline, and have that as the one permissible open jaw on your itinerary. You'd pay a little, but you'd save yourself a few hours of traveling, and with the miles you saved, you could get to LIH rather than OGG.)

Lots of possibilities.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great suggestions, thanks a lot! You obviously took some time with this, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, LAX-LHR non-stop is close to unobtanium. I book 331 days out, stay up late, but only got the non-stop once in 6 years.

The concern with VCE-LHR-CDG is not that they would change schedules, but that I could not get it on the date I want. For a 21 day itinerary, on a one-world award, I book it with only the outbound correct. Subsequent flights are not on the days I want -- I need to get it within the 5 day ticket deadline.

Maybe there is a better way, but right now availability in June across the pond is close to zilch.

But let me contemplate your post more, maybe I'm missing something.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA,CO,US, and SPG Gold (just like everyone else :P)
AA Partners in South America

Im trying to do a RTW oneworld award starting and ending in South America. I was wondering if AA has any partners beside LAN that fly within South America. I don't think GOL counts for a oneworld award...any suggesstions?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by cnsoccer
Im trying to do a RTW oneworld award starting and ending in South America. I was wondering if AA has any partners beside LAN that fly within South America. I don't think GOL counts for a oneworld award...any suggesstions?
Check out the map - http://www.oneworld.com/

BA is an option.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:11 pm

I saw that but theres just way too many cities to check each one. Was just wondering if someone knew from past experience or had been in the same boat. I know that BA goes GRU-EZE but was trying to get a diffferent leg. I also saw IBeria from LIM to cusco but figured that was just a codeshare.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A-List, National Executive Emerald

Do you have a specific itinerary in mind that isn't serviced by AA? Or, were you just looking at all the options first before you decide?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
LA, AA (I beleive only EZE-MVD) and BA (I think they only fly one route) are your only options. However, you can get to South America from North America on MX also.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:16 pm

Yes the trip as planned is MDE-UIO-GPS-GYE-SCL-IPC-SCL-EZE-GRU-LIM-MDE. I need a partner that is not AA because the RTW award is three partners including AA or two partners without AA. Again i know BA serves EZE GRU but was looking for something else. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Yes the trip as planned is MDE-UIO-GPS-GYE-SCL-IPC-SCL-EZE-GRU-LIM-MDE. I need a partner that is not AA because the RTW award is three partners including AA or two partners without AA. Again i know BA serves EZE GRU but was looking for something else. Thanks.
There is nothing else.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I think any of the LAN subsidiaries would count as other carriers so long as they have their own flight numbers: 4M, XL, LP
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
I think any of the LAN subsidiaries would count as other carriers so long as they have their own flight numbers: 4M, XL, LP
You would be wrong.

In order to qualify for a oneworld award, an itinerary must contain AA plus at least two other airline “groups” in the itinerary, or at least two oneworld carrier “groups” without AA. A “group” is made up of a “parent” carrier and all its affiliates.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by pdog02
You would be wrong.
Your quote doesn't show the source. Where does it say "groups?"

From AA.com:
Your itinerary must include two airlines if American Airlines (AA) is not included, otherwise three airlines (including American/American Eagle).

- Valid on all oneworld airlines and their oneworld affiliates.

oneworld affiliates listed here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...Affiliates.jsp
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Your quote doesn't show the source. Where does it say "groups?"

From AA.com:
Your itinerary must include two airlines if American Airlines (AA) is not included, otherwise three airlines (including American/American Eagle).

- Valid on all oneworld airlines and their oneworld affiliates.

oneworld affiliates listed here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...Affiliates.jsp
Since AA "groups" AA, American Eagle and AmericanConnection together as One Entity in determine the "other than AA" requirement, it is safe to assume the member airlines are also treated in similar "group" format though there is no specific wordings other than the "11 members" being mentioned. If the LA affiliates are counted separately, there would be more than 11 airlines one can use.

.................................................. .................................................. ................
Valid: All eleven oneworld carriers may be used on one award as long as the mileage and segment maximum is not exceeded (see distance range). Travel must include at least two oneworld partners other than American Airlines, American Eagle® or AmericanConnection®, and may not exceed 16 segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.