Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by Happy
Since AA "groups" AA, American Eagle and AmericanConnection together as One Entity in determine the "other than AA" requirement, it is safe to assume the member airlines are also treated in similar "group" format though there is no specific wordings other than the "11 members" being mentioned. If the LA affiliates are counted separately, there would be more than 11 airlines one can use.

.................................................. .................................................. ................
Valid: All eleven oneworld carriers may be used on one award as long as the mileage and segment maximum is not exceeded (see distance range). Travel must include at least two oneworld partners other than American Airlines, American Eagle® or AmericanConnection®, and may not exceed 16 segments.
Not doubting, and I appreciate the clarification, but IMO AA should make this more clear on its website, since one could easily interpret the affiliates to count separately.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Not doubting, and I appreciate the clarification, but IMO AA should make this more clear on its website, since one could easily interpret the affiliates to count separately.
Well, the affiliates are part of the Member Airline's family but themselves are NOT the members per se. Therefore while the wording should be clearer, logic would say the underlings would be treated the same as the bona fide Member in this requirement.

The non-specific wording would simply be a technical oversight, not a base to interpret / argue that the affiliates should be treated as different Member Airlines - because they are NOT even Members - they are allowed to be used in an itinerary by virtue of their affiliation of the Member airline (direct subsidiaries) therefore their
"membership" status should be the same as their affiliated Member airline.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 23, 2010 at 1:08 pm
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Probably so, but we on flyertalk have known about this real life policy for almost 3 years. It is reflected in the first post of this sticky.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA,CO,US, and SPG Gold (just like everyone else :P)
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Probably so, but we on flyertalk have known about this real life policy for almost 3 years. It is reflected in the first post of this sticky.
Yes and I did ask the reservation agent only to find that all LAN subsidiaries did go under LAN. I am starting to guess the only other Partner in South America is BA...
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
just go to the oneworld website (www.oneworld.com) and look up the list of all flights. If it ain't there, it ain't available in a oneworld award.

Steve32
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Schedule change on a oneWorld award ticket, what to do?

I have booked a One World award using AA miles, one Iberia fight has been cancelled and I am now booked a day before I was orginally supposed to travel, this does cause a problem as I had my sightseeing schedule and hotels arranged already. BA has flights with a connection in London for my next sector (not sure of availability of a ff award though) but AA has told me since I am ticketed on IB I need to fly IB only. Is this correct? Is there anyway I can travel on the same dates on BA or am I out of luck? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by startpacking
I have booked a One World award using AA miles, one Iberia fight has been cancelled and I am now booked a day before I was orginally supposed to travel, this does cause a problem as I had my sightseeing schedule and hotels arranged already. BA has flights with a connection in London for my next sector (not sure of availability of a ff award though) but AA has told me since I am ticketed on IB I need to fly IB only. Is this correct? Is there anyway I can travel on the same dates on BA or am I out of luck? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Oneworld awards don't allow changes of routing or carriers, as a rule. Your recourse for schedule changes is limited. If you don't care for the offered substitutes, you can generally only demand a refund on canceling the ticket, not the flights you might prefer.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You're out of luck as far as switching from IB to BA on the same ticket.

You can redeposit the miles and then re-issue the award from scratch. The danger is that if you try to reconstruct the award - the inventory might not be there at this time.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Change of carriers on these awards is allowed,but with a fee. I think the best prospect (and it's far from guaranteed) is to call a couple of times and see if you can get an agent who would be willing to waive the change fee inasmuch as it is caused by a cancellation. The can do that...finding someone who will may be difficult, but worth a try. Definitely don't expect it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Thank you, martin33, Plato90s and brp.

I'll call back but I doubt anything can be done based on what I've read. I have already flown some of the segments on the One World award, so cancelling the reward and rebooking is not an option.

brp, do you have a link to the rules that explains the dos and don'ts for changing the carrier?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...obileUAFlag=AA
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by startpacking
I have booked a One World award using AA miles, one Iberia fight has been cancelled and I am now booked a day before I was orginally supposed to travel, this does cause a problem as I had my sightseeing schedule and hotels arranged already... Thank you.
I just recently completed a oneworld award that spanned 7 months. After I lost a prepaid hotel due to a misconnect on CX I stopped booking hotels, etc. in advance for the remainder of the trip unless it was cancellable.

I know this won't assist you but am posting to help fellow travelers' planning for the future. When you start using the redemptions for 50k miles of flying it can/does become a massive undertaking with multiple variables.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Change of carriers on these awards is allowed,but with a fee. I think the best prospect (and it's far from guaranteed) is to call a couple of times and see if you can get an agent who would be willing to waive the change fee inasmuch as it is caused by a cancellation. The can do that...finding someone who will may be difficult, but worth a try. Definitely don't expect it.

Cheers.
Incorrect information.

All Airlines awards yes, with a fee. That is in the rules for All Airlines awards, including change of destination even (in the old days of r/t award if you had not used up the open jaw).

Not the case on OneWorld Award.

link for the rules for OneWorld Award is in miamigrad's post 1930 above.

Directly lifted the language from the page of rules:

Ticket Changes

* No changes to routing (including stopovers/connections) or airlines are allowed once ticketed.
* Date/time/flight number changes are allowed even after ticketing.

AA would bend the rules on OneWorld award if only terminal changed even the terminals are not listed on the eligible co-terminals, but would most not bend the rules in changing carriers even the schedule changes are involuntary.

You can try to keep calling back, but may just waste your time in doing so.

With the highly restrictive nature of OneWorld award, the best strategy on the advanced booking of hotels etc is to only book cancellable rates. Or use All Airlines award instead.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 30, 2010 at 6:24 pm
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by magic111
I just recently completed a oneworld award that spanned 7 months. After I lost a prepaid hotel due to a misconnect on CX I stopped booking hotels, etc. in advance for the remainder of the trip unless it was cancellable.

I know this won't assist you but am posting to help fellow travelers' planning for the future. When you start using the redemptions for 50k miles of flying it can/does become a massive undertaking with multiple variables.
Yea, that isn't exactly very encouraging..
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:36 pm

So if the traveller has already begun travel and there is a schedule change, is the traveller's only option to live with it? Seems rather unfair that he can't change carrier or routing especially if refund is not an option. I'd also be surprised if that is not a violation of contract of carriage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.