Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes it is in the wrong thread if your award is a partner award. See the thread title.
... and see the first post in this thread. There's a description of the different types of awards to help understand how this works.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat
Study Abroad Travel

Hey all,

I had a question about oneworld Awards. So I'm going to be doing a split year abroad, first semester in Australia and second semester in London. I currently live in Hawaii and I was wondering if it the possible routing would be allowed?

HNL > SYD > OGG (where I would buy my ticket to fly back to HNL for winterbreak) > LAX > LHR > DFW > HNL

The only problem I seem to come against is finding a flight from SYD to OGG, if one exists. Other than that, will this be able to qualify under the requirements for a oneworld award?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey ebaniaga,

Have you studied the rules laid out in the First Page of this thread?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ebaniaga
Hey all,

I had a question about oneworld Awards. So I'm going to be doing a split year abroad, first semester in Australia and second semester in London. I currently live in Hawaii and I was wondering if it the possible routing would be allowed?

HNL > SYD > OGG (where I would buy my ticket to fly back to HNL for winterbreak) > LAX > LHR > DFW > HNL

The only problem I seem to come against is finding a flight from SYD to OGG, if one exists. Other than that, will this be able to qualify under the requirements for a oneworld award?
oneworld awards charge by total distance flown, not destination, so it is difficult to break their routing rules. Nevertheless, this trip would do it in two ways:

1. SYD-OGG would require a connection at HNL, and no connections through the origin city are allowed.

2. oneworld awards require using at least 2 oneworld partners other than AA. LHR-DFW or LAX-LHR would have to route via Canada and cross the Atlantic on BA, or go to/from LHR via MAD and pick up IB.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:36 pm

Question Is this possible?

This is my fantasy itinerary, but I'm clueless how to figure out which partner airlines would be best to use...and how many miles this would consume in total. Beginning and end point, Miami International. Anyone have any advice for me? Miami - Lima - Rio - Cape Town - Kathmandu, Nepal - Bangkok - Phuket - Hong Kong - Tokyo - Sydney, AU - Aukland, NZ - southernmost Chile or Argentina - Miami

Thanks in advance for any/all pointers!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by CarolBarrel
This is my fantasy itinerary, but I'm clueless how to figure out which partner airlines would be best to use...and how many miles this would consume in total. Beginning and end point, Miami International. Anyone have any advice for me? Miami - Lima - Rio - Cape Town - Kathmandu, Nepal - Bangkok - Phuket - Hong Kong - Tokyo - Sydney, AU - Aukland, NZ - southernmost Chile or Argentina - Miami

Thanks in advance for any/all pointers!
Welcome to FT CarolBarrel

At first glance, looks like it could be done - with some tweaking.
Here's a preliminary routing: MIA-LIM-SCL-GIG-LHR-CPT-JNB-HKG-KTM-HKG-BKK-NRT-SYD-AKL-SCL-MIA

Some points:
  • on a OW award ticket, only OW airlines can be used (no other 'partner' airlines allowed)
  • No OW service LIM-RIO - so have to route LIM-SCL-GIG (only OW flights into RIO are the SCL-GIG and the GIG-LHR flights)
  • No OW service RIO-CPT - in fact no OW service Sth America to Africa! So have to route GIG-LHR-CPT which means you get to see London too - or GIG-MAD-JNB if you prefer Spain over England
  • No OW service CPT-KTM, so have to route CPT-JNB-HKG-KTM
  • No OW service KTM-BKK, so have to route KTM-HKG-BKK
  • No OW service BKK-HKT (Phuket);there is a OW flight HKT-HKG. However you are allowed a max of 16 segments, so my suggestion is to take a side-trip from BKK to HKT as you need the segments later
  • Since you'll have already been to HKG twice on the above itinerary, suggest you fly BKK-NRT direct
  • Note that the above itinerary has you going to Santiago, Chile twice - but OW award rules only allow one stopover at each place - one of the visits would have to be a transit; ditto for your two visits to HKG
  • all up 15 segments, and just over 49,000 miles - so doable on a OW
    Distance Zone 9 award
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Welcome to FT CarolBarrel

At first glance, looks like it could be done - with some tweaking.
Here's a preliminary routing: MIA-LIM-SCL-GIG-LHR-CPT-JNB-HKG-KTM-HKG-BKK-NRT-SYD-AKL-SCL-MIA

Some points:
  • on a OW award ticket, only OW airlines can be used (no other 'partner' airlines allowed)
  • No OW service LIM-RIO - so have to route LIM-SCL-GIG (only OW flights into RIO are the SCL-GIG and the GIG-LHR flights)
  • No OW service RIO-CPT - in fact no OW service Sth America to Africa! So have to route GIG-LHR-CPT which means you get to see London too - or GIG-MAD-JNB if you prefer Spain over England
  • No OW service CPT-KTM, so have to route CPT-JNB-HKG-KTM
  • No OW service KTM-BKK, so have to route KTM-HKG-BKK
  • No OW service BKK-HKT (Phuket);there is a OW flight HKT-HKG. However you are allowed a max of 16 segments, so my suggestion is to take a side-trip from BKK to HKT as you need the segments later
  • Since you'll have already been to HKG twice on the above itinerary, suggest you fly BKK-NRT direct
  • Note that the above itinerary has you going to Santiago, Chile twice - but OW award rules only allow one stopover at each place - one of the visits would have to be a transit; ditto for your two visits to HKG
  • all up 15 segments, and just over 49,000 miles - so doable on a OW
    Distance Zone 9 award
WOW, you are amazing in taking the time to help!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by cutnana
WOW, you are amazing in taking the time to help!
I know, I am amazing
but then I'm incredibly modest about it
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I know, I am amazing
but then I'm incredibly modest about it
But, you left out "southernmost Chile or Argentina "

All kidding aside, I would consider adding a "wholly within listed country award" from the all-airline award chart. SCL to southernmost Chile (PUQ = Punta Arenas) to accomplish this. Recently did the same in Australia to add in another destination for a just completed 16 segment oneworld award.

Last edited by magic111; Jun 22, 2010 at 9:59 am
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:32 pm

OW130 Itinerary question

Hello,

I am planning my very first OW award and have a quick question.

The planned itinerary is ORD-PEK-KIX-HEL-LED-LHR-ORD.

When I look at the KIX-HEL-LED segment in the Oneworld Timetables, it shows KIX-HEL on Finnair, and then HEL-LED on Rossiya. Is Rossiya really part of OW?

The details are as follows:
KIX - HEL Finnair leave - 11:00AM Arrive - 3:10 PM flight - AY78
HEL - LED Rossiya leave - 7:40PM Arrive - 9:45 PM flight - AY6850*

There are no details on what the asterisk means. This is probably a very basic question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Also feel free to add your comments on the overall itinerary.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:56 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
You are restricted to flight segments operated by oneworld airlines and their affiliates, so the Rossiya segment would not be permitted.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
you can do HEL-LED by train. easy bus ride from airport directly to train station, nice train and you are there ine 4hrs.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
AAdvantage award rules apply, so moving to AA forum.

Kiwi Flyer
OW moderator
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:23 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by LRD
You are restricted to flight segments operated by oneworld airlines and their affiliates, so the Rossiya segment would not be permitted.
AY flies its own metal to LED twice a day, but you'd have to wait overnight at HEL for the next AY-operated flight since the flights from Japan arrive after the 2nd AY flight of the day has departed.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
AY flies its own metal to LED twice a day, but you'd have to wait overnight at HEL for the next AY-operated flight since the flights from Japan arrive after the 2nd AY flight of the day has departed.
That's probably our best bet. After a flight from Japan, I'm not sure I would have the patience / energy for a bus ride to the train station, a 4 hour train ride, etc...

Glad I asked.^ Tons and tons of knowledge here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.