Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The asterisk probably means it is an AY codeshare operated by Rossiya, which would work for a paid fare, but not an award trip, as far as I know.

This question will be merged into the active oneworld awards thread.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:19 pm

Exclamation

PandaPerth...you are fabulous! ^ I have to look up all these airport codes & make a route map, but this looks doable at least...even if a little wacky! I've never flown to Asia...only had the muster to go to Europe and back a few times. I know I can do something like this solo, because when I was in college I went to 10 countries solo as a backpacker...and I ended up being the person to help others read maps, figure out currencies, etc. I'm up for an adventure, that's for sure! Now...how to save the necessary miles...and money! Again, thank you for your thought process & the time you've given me. I hope I can return the favor one day in my own humble way. You are truly a :-: and I wish you all happiness & well-being life can afford!/Carol

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Welcome to FT CarolBarrel

At first glance, looks like it could be done - with some tweaking.
Here's a preliminary routing: MIA-LIM-SCL-GIG-LHR-CPT-JNB-HKG-KTM-HKG-BKK-NRT-SYD-AKL-SCL-MIA

Some points:
  • on a OW award ticket, only OW airlines can be used (no other 'partner' airlines allowed)
  • No OW service LIM-RIO - so have to route LIM-SCL-GIG (only OW flights into RIO are the SCL-GIG and the GIG-LHR flights)
  • No OW service RIO-CPT - in fact no OW service Sth America to Africa! So have to route GIG-LHR-CPT which means you get to see London too - or GIG-MAD-JNB if you prefer Spain over England
  • No OW service CPT-KTM, so have to route CPT-JNB-HKG-KTM
  • No OW service KTM-BKK, so have to route KTM-HKG-BKK
  • No OW service BKK-HKT (Phuket);there is a OW flight HKT-HKG. However you are allowed a max of 16 segments, so my suggestion is to take a side-trip from BKK to HKT as you need the segments later
  • Since you'll have already been to HKG twice on the above itinerary, suggest you fly BKK-NRT direct
  • Note that the above itinerary has you going to Santiago, Chile twice - but OW award rules only allow one stopover at each place - one of the visits would have to be a transit; ditto for your two visits to HKG
  • all up 15 segments, and just over 49,000 miles - so doable on a OW
    Distance Zone 9 award
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by CarolBarrel
PandaPerth...you are fabulous! ^ I have to look up all these airport codes & make a route map, but this looks doable at least...even if a little wacky! I've never flown to Asia...only had the muster to go to Europe and back a few times. I know I can do something like this solo, because when I was in college I went to 10 countries solo as a backpacker...and I ended up being the person to help others read maps, figure out currencies, etc. I'm up for an adventure, that's for sure! Now...how to save the necessary miles...and money! Again, thank you for your thought process & the time you've given me. I hope I can return the favor one day in my own humble way. You are truly a :-: and I wish you all happiness & well-being life can afford!/Carol
Click on the routing in my post - that will take to a Great Cricle Mapper display of the route; it will also name all the airports in the itinerary

Must see how to work in Southern Chile or Argentina...
(mortified by magic111's sarky comment )
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
I just flew air lingus, after an AA flight from JFK to LHR, on my boarding pass to Cork, my AAdvantage number was on it and the gate agent said yes I'd be earning miles for my AAdvantage account. Is this true? I had no idea Air Lingus worked with One World....is this just a glitch?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:31 am

Fly MX or BA?

I have this OW Business Award (Zone 7: 25K miles) itinerary in mind (AA-LA/LP-MX) but have read mixed reviews about Mexicana:

pdx-xdfw-xmia-lim-cuz-xlim-(Direct flight!)ipc-ppt-scl-xmex-xdfw-pdx

Should I consider the following (AA-LA/LP-BA) instead:

pdx-xdfw-xmia-lim-cuz-xlim-ipc-ppt-scl-xeze-xgru-xdfw-pdx

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bamboosensation
I just flew air lingus, after an AA flight from JFK to LHR, on my boarding pass to Cork, my AAdvantage number was on it and the gate agent said yes I'd be earning miles for my AAdvantage account. Is this true? I had no idea Air Lingus worked with One World....is this just a glitch?
BA codeshares on Aer Lingus between Cork and London. Perhaps that's where the AA account number popped up? Were you booked on the BA codeshare? Regardless, the way I read AA.com's site on BA, they only give miles for codeshares on Oneworld partners and affiliates, which I don't think Aer Lingus qualifies as.

I'm sure someone will correct me soon if I'm wrong.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by bamboosensation
Aer Lingus ceased being part of oneworld some time ago, and is no longer an AAdvantage partner either. The GA was mistaken.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
When ticketing a oneworld award for an RTW trip, is it necessary to provide all the dates and flights at the time of booking, or just the routing and the start date? I was under the impression that this (the latter) was the case for the oneworld Explorer, but it may be different when using miles. I was told yesterday by an AAgent that I must wait and book dates and times for all my flights at one time. Is this true?

If it is necessary to book all flights/dates at once, does this mean I have no choice but to wait until all the flights on my itinerary are available? This seems a bit odd, because over a long RTW trip (mine would likely be greater than 4 months), it would be incredibly difficult to find award inventories available for my earliest flights, because the date of departure would be about 7 months away (provided that seats become bookable about 330 days prior to departure). This could certainly lead to some issues (especially considering I'd be using QF in J class). Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Cameron
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Longhornmaniac8
When ticketing a oneworld award for an RTW trip, is it necessary to provide all the dates and flights at the time of booking, or just the routing and the start date? I was under the impression that this (the latter) was the case for the oneworld Explorer, but it may be different when using miles. I was told yesterday by an AAgent that I must wait and book dates and times for all my flights at one time. Is this true?

If it is necessary to book all flights/dates at once, does this mean I have no choice but to wait until all the flights on my itinerary are available? This seems a bit odd, because over a long RTW trip (mine would likely be greater than 4 months), it would be incredibly difficult to find award inventories available for my earliest flights, because the date of departure would be about 7 months away (provided that seats become bookable about 330 days prior to departure). This could certainly lead to some issues (especially considering I'd be using QF in J class). Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Cameron
The OW award rules are totally different from the revenue tickets. Dont even try to compare the 2, else you will be very confused.

Yes, you have to book every flight with date and time on the OW award ticket - no open booking for routing only. However you are allowed to change the date, time and flight number of the SAME Carrier, SAME routing after ticketed, and even after travel started, provided of course there is inventory. You cannot even change to co-terminal as this would be considered as routing change.

BTW, OW is not a RTW award. It is an award based on distance traveled.

Please read the FIRST POST of this thread to get a good understanding of the rules so you would not waste your time trying for something impossible.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
The OW award rules are totally different from the revenue tickets. Dont even try to compare the 2, else you will be very confused.

Yes, you have to book every flight with date and time on the OW award ticket - no open booking for routing only. However you are allowed to change the date, time and flight number of the SAME Carrier, SAME routing after ticketed, and even after travel started, provided of course there is inventory. You cannot even change to co-terminal as this would be considered as routing change.

BTW, OW is not a RTW award. It is an award based on distance traveled.

Please read the FIRST POST of this thread to get a good understanding of the rules so you would not waste your time trying for something impossible.
Thanks for the reply, Happy. I am aware the OW isn't specifically an RTW award, but it is most commonly used for it. It makes sense that you have to have the entire award ticketed all together, for the reasons you mentioned regarding it being a mileage. This certainly is unfortunate, because it makes finding the seats for the trip more difficult.

Cheers,
Cameron
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Longhornmaniac8
Thanks for the reply, Happy. I am aware the OW isn't specifically an RTW award, but it is most commonly used for it. It makes sense that you have to have the entire award ticketed all together, for the reasons you mentioned regarding it being a mileage. This certainly is unfortunate, because it makes finding the seats for the trip more difficult.

Cheers,
Cameron
Actually a lot of folks do not use it for RTW trip but rather for a trip that involving many stopovers.

The best value to use OW award wouldn't you believe it, is for an itinerary NA - Europe that may let you have quite a number of stopovers while still maintain the "zone" at the same level as a NA - Europe all airline award because Europe is such a compact continent.

Last year we used it for an itinerary strictly in the Pacific region - for just 15K extra miles (OW150C versus NA - South Pacific 135K in business class), we traveled 24K+ miles and were able to visit New Zealand, Australia, SE Asia, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan (including domestic Japan) and back to North America.

OW Award Chart:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Actually a lot of folks do not use it for RTW trip but rather for a trip that involving many stopovers.

The best value to use OW award wouldn't you believe it, is for an itinerary NA - Europe that may let you have quite a number of stopovers while still maintain the "zone" at the same level as a NA - Europe all airline award because Europe is such a compact continent.

Last year we used it for an itinerary strictly in the Pacific region - for just 15K extra miles (OW150C versus NA - South Pacific 135K in business class), we traveled 24K+ miles and were able to visit New Zealand, Australia, SE Asia, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan (including domestic Japan) and back to North America.

OW Award Chart:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp
Happy, I always learn from you! Thanks!
I tried to find information on the NA products but failed to find. Can you please direct me? Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

NA=North America.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
How can I find first class award availability for JL?
I have purchased both EF and KVS software, but am still not seeing it.
Please advise. Am looking at a OW330F award.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:04 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
How can I find first class award availability for JL?
I have purchased both EF and KVS software, but am still not seeing it.
Please advise. Am looking at a OW330F award.
Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post14243211

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.