Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
OP here.
Any feedback on this question:
Also, how can I find out how much flexibility I have to change dates once this is ticketed?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
OP here.
Any feedback on this question:
Also, how can I find out how much flexibility I have to change dates once this is ticketed?
Unlimited flexibility as to dates and times, as long as there is award-seat availability on the new flight(s). But you can not change the routing, you cannot change a connection to a stopover, you can not change the carrier on any segment, and all travel must be completed within one year of the date that the award was originally ticketed.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Unlimited flexibility as to dates and times, as long as there is award-seat availability on the new flight(s). But you can not change the routing, you cannot change a connection to a stopover, you can not change the carrier on any segment, and all travel must be completed within one year of the date that the award was originally ticketed.
Perfect! Thank you.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Another suggestion for better transatlantic is DFW-YYZ-LHR... take a quick flight up to Canada then do BA first. BA availability in first is generally very good (CW harder to score)
The comparison is 3:00 in domestic first on a 738 + 1:20 or more connect time + 7:00 on BA versus an easy 9:05 on AA non-stop. Not for me - my opinion of AA international first is a lot higher than that.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Perfect! Thank you.
Your thread has now been merged into this thread which is essentially the aadvantage oneworld award help desk on FT.
Please read the 1st post. It is updated on a regular basis by Austinrunner whenever there are changes in the program.
Please feel free to ask questions about items that are confusing or suggestions about how to implement your award. Many who contribute to this thread have taken multiple awards that are even more complicated than what you are attempting.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:35 pm

I called AA to start reserving my OneWorld 330,000 mile First Class Zone 9 award and got as far as my 3rd flight before finding no availability within a week of my preferred dates, 5 months out! I had even selected a date for which BA's website showed first class award travel available for BA miles. Makes me suspect that they release fewer seats for use with AA miles.

I hope KVS will approve my request to use its tool (I am awaiting their response), as I suspect that will be helpful in allowing me to find availability on my own, before calling back to AA.
I am open to other suggestions.

Last edited by AAJetMan; Apr 16, 2010 at 4:47 pm
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
It may not be an AA problem but a oneworld problem. Evidence in this thread indicates that sometimes the airline has more availability for its own members than for oneworld members.
If you are using the BA site to find availability for a BA flight try an alternate site, QF for example. If the availability is not showing for QF than it will also not be available for AA just BAEC redemption.
I called AA to start reserving my OneWorld 330,000 mile First Class Zone 9 award and got as far as my 3rd flight before finding no availability within a week of my preferred dates, 5 months out! I had even selected a date for which BA's website showed first class award travel available for BA miles. Makes me suspect that they release fewer seats for use with AA miles.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:50 am

I hope KVS will approve my request to use its tool (I am awaiting their response), as I suspect that will be helpful in allowing me to find availability on my own, before calling back to AA.
I am open to other suggestions.
Attempt 1 (without KVS): spent several minutes on the phone with AA and never came up with an acceptable 3rd flight, so just gave up. (See quote above.)

Attempt 2 (After using KVS): 12 minutes on the phone with AA and I had all 14 segments reserved!!! Thank you KVS!!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:40 pm

Makes me suspect that they release fewer seats for use with AA miles.
no, they don't.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Attempt 2 (After using KVS): 12 minutes on the phone with AA and I had all 14 segments reserved!!! Thank you KVS!!
What is the KVS tool?

Last edited by dstan; Apr 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm Reason: repaired broken quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:28 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
It's mentioned in the FAQ and KVS also has dedicated threads here on FT.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by swdke
What is the KVS tool?
powerful software that intermediates between you and the airlines' computers. inventories, fare rules, routings, all kinds of great stuff can be yours, for a price...
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:17 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by martin33
Originally Posted by swdke
What is the KVS tool?
powerful software that intermediates between you and the airlines' computers. inventories, fare rules, routings, all kinds of great stuff can be yours, for a price...
And which has a dedicated AA thread at http://www.FlyerTalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11971225

Attempt 1 (without KVS): spent several minutes on the phone with AA and never came up with an acceptable 3rd flight, so just gave up. (See quote above.)

You're welcome -- enjoy your award!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Question Volcano Ash and OW awards?

Was anyone on this thread caught up in the Iceland volcano's fallout? I'm wondering what would happen to OW award travel in such a situation. Would reroutings be allowed if travel hasn't begun yet?

I'm set to fly out to England, Scotland and Ireland in early June on an OW award; there's obviously enough time left but, one cannot predict the course that this volcano-with-an-unpronounceable-name might take in the next few weeks - its two major recent eruptions (the one from March 20 and the current ongoing one) were roughly a month apart.

So... would AA allow a rerouting in such a setting without a fee etc.? I'd rather avoid the British Isles this summer given this fluid situation. The current Europe Travel Policy on aa.com is applicable for the current week alone and doesn't mention award travel in general.

Tia for any input!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by martin33
There's a fee for the KVS tool? How does this tool compare to Expertflyer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.