Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dtremit
US has actually been even more committed to that strategy -- 99% of US flights touch a hub, and pretty much all non-hub crew bases were cut a few years back.
... says another guy from BOS?!? Most US flights touch a hub, but exceptions like BOS exist in the US system, but not on the AA side.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:48 am

It is being reported that a 2nd daily PHL-TLV will start in July '15. Should be interesting if it sticks or there will be further changes.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by nova08
It is being reported that a 2nd daily PHL-TLV will start in July '15. Should be interesting if it sticks or there will be further changes.
Do you have a source? I am surprised that AA would launch a 2nd daily PHL-TLV before launching MIA-TLV.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Jun 24, 2014 at 1:28 pm Reason: Spelling and additional information required
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Do you have a source? I am surprised that AA would launch a 2nd daily PHL-TLV before lsunching MIA-PHL.
MIA-TLV surely? I'm fairly certain MIA-PHL is already in place
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Do you have a source? I am surprised that AA would launch a 2nd daily PHL-TLV before lsunching MIA-PHL.
Reported on the other forum, but I'll step back a minute and say it could just be a reporting glitch.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
... says another guy from BOS?!? Most US flights touch a hub, but exceptions like BOS exist in the US system, but not on the AA side.
That was US' official figure reported after the DL slot swap. It might round better to 98%, but either way it's only around 50 flights a day that don't touch a (pre-merger) hub, including the BOS-LGA shuttle.

There are some assorted exceptions on the AA side as well -- DCA-RDU, DCA-BNA, DCA-STL, BOS-CDG come to mind -- with a similarly trivial total count.

Where US went a step further than AA was in closing non-hub crew bases -- including in BOS.

In any case, the strategy certainly wasn't a new discovery for Parker.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by scnzzz
MIA-TLV surely? I'm fairly certain MIA-PHL is already in place
Thanks for pointing that out! It has been a very very long day flying for me, thankful I have a few days off before I fly to Europe! I will edit my post.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Jun 24, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That was US' official figure reported after the DL slot swap. It might round better to 98%, but either way it's only around 50 flights a day that don't touch a (pre-merger) hub, including the BOS-LGA shuttle.

There are some assorted exceptions on the AA side as well -- DCA-RDU, DCA-BNA, DCA-STL, BOS-CDG come to mind -- with a similarly trivial total count.

Where US went a step further than AA was in closing non-hub crew bases -- including in BOS.

In any case, the strategy certainly wasn't a new discovery for Parker.
Don't forget that US still has the weird PIT holdouts of PIT-LGA/STL/BDL/RDU which don't touch a hub.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by CMK10
Don't forget that US still has the weird PIT holdouts of PIT-LGA/STL/BDL/RDU which don't touch a hub.
I counted those. Couldn't think of anything outside of PIT and BOS, though.

The BOS and PIT flights seem like a lot of destinations, but none have very many frequencies. (BOS-LGA being the obvious exception.)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA ExePlat

The BOS and PIT flights seem like a lot of destinations, but none have very many frequencies. (BOS-LGA being the obvious exception.)
I believe the cornerstone strategy was 99% of flights touch the hubs plus the shuttle flights.

That would leave just a few legacy flights from PIT and BOS.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsieds
I believe the cornerstone strategy was 99% of flights touch the hubs plus the shuttle flights.

That would leave just a few legacy flights from PIT and BOS.
Correct; US said that its retreat to the hubs involved 99% of the schedule touching a hub, excluding the Shuttle flights (as BOS and LGA were not considered hubs).

I'm not certain, but the PIT and BOS regional flights to non-hubs may be operated by the regional carriers on an at-risk basis, which means that the regional airline has decided to fly those routes, not US Airways. They display the US code and US handles the sales and marketing, but unlike the vast majority of regional operations, US doesn't call the shots. Some may be EAS routes.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
FLLPAP and SJUCCS; the latter will be suspended temporarily due to the currency situation in Venezuela.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Some may be EAS routes.
None are EAS. STLPIT I believe is flown at risk and shuttles planes between two maintenance bases, but the rest is not, IIRC.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: None
For the US side and I'm pretty sure it applies to the AA side, RJ's are fee pre departure and turboprops are at risk. One has to understand that fee per departure isn't as simple as it sounds - it's not a set amount of dollars per departure. Rather, the fee is calculated for each departure using a formula that considers the length of the flight, the type of plane, etc. One variable in the formula could be whether the flight is a positioning flight. So different routes would have a different fee for each departure, including whether a flight is a positioning flight for the operator's convenience/maintenance. In addition to the calculated fee, there are pass through costs - costs which are passed on the the mainline partner. Fuel is one example, but not the only pass through cost.

For accounting purposes, this applies whether the operator is contract or wholly owned.

Jim
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Are all of the US and Mesa operated flights from LAX and MIA to spoke cities really operating as pure US flights from AA hubs?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: None
Mainline US operated flights will be US until a single operating certificate is approved by the FAA. I don't know what you mean by "pure" but assume all/most will be codeshares so have AA and US flight numbers.

Mesa, being a contract carrier, can legally operate as AA or US branded, again most likely with codeshare flight numbers, i.e. an AA and a US flight number. All express carriers actually operate using their carrier's code for ATC purposes since they are separate certificated carriers. For example, I think PSA uses "Bluestreak xxxx" as it's ATC call sign - at least it used to.

The individual carriers that make up the new Eagle, as opposed to the old eagle airline, each have their individual ATC code although all are marketed as Eagle.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.