Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Did old America West flown LAX-YVR/YEG years ago?
Yes
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
DL's adding service later this year as well.
Only for two weeks over Christmas and New Years.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by radarskiy
Which would be the craziest location for an AA/AS TPAC partnership to use as a hub?
  • SEA: AS hub; head to head against new DL hub with a lot of momentum; some OW partners
  • YVR: Foreign city; AC/*A hub; some OW partners; limited pre-existing AA service
  • PDX: AS hub; tiny; No OW partners; limited pre-existing AA service; head to head against DL to NRT
SFO: UA/*A hub, some OW partners
SJC: AA tried a hub here and bailed
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CO FF
I'm flying LAX-BDL tonite; I wonder if the cancellation of the route will matter to the crew?
From my experience, absolutely none. Most crews, unless they live there and use it for commuting reasons, could care less about individual routes besides "pride" and "water cooler gossip".

Although what I have found is it gives them an excuse to do some "management bashing" on how they would have done it differently if they were in charge of things, or how the route never should have started.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by radarskiy
[*]YVR: Foreign city; AC/*A hub; some OW partners; limited pre-existing AA service
Cabotage...

New AA thinks the answer is RNO, which has a couple runways that could handle international widebodies and a decent location. It would take a long time to build up the market though.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by austin_res
SFO: UA/*A hub, some OW partners
SJC: AA tried a hub here and bailed
Although if there was ever a time to invade SFO and try to take on a struggling UA it would be now...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Cabotage...

New AA thinks the answer is RNO, which has a couple runways that could handle international widebodies and a decent location. It would take a long time to build up the market though.
Way too long, and not really an airport for O/D traffic.

From SEA, arguably the geographically best US gateway to Asia. With JL and CX providing onward travel at the Asian gateway, AS's network can provide synergistic pairings to both at SEA.

Likewise, IF AA wants to go toe-to-toe with DL and others (to NRT, HKG, PEK, PVG), AS's non-stop service ex-SEA far exceeds that of DL's, so AA would have the advantage. Admittedly though, that depends on if AA is willing to take on DL like that.

(As a sidenote, I think the ICN route is interesting, serviced by KE, OZ, and DL. DL has obviously not been playing nice with AS, but also has a thing against KE. With AS & KE already partnering up, it could be a "common enemy" situation.)

What makes SEA a good location as an Asian gateway also makes it tough to be a European or South American gateway. DL goes to AMS, CDG, and LHR; BA to LHR; LH to FRA; Icelandic to Reykjavik. I don't think OW can make more of a dent here, since SEA is already connected to all the AA/US hubs. Maybe IB to MAD?

Someone could start service SEA-South America (GRU/GIG perhaps?) and capture all that O/D service, as well as thru-traffic as a connecting point for Asia. Heck, use it as a carrot for the OW partners to have onward service (e.g., CX HKG-SEA-GIG, JL NRT-SEA-GRU).

As someone stated upthread, QR may be an option. EK already flies to DXB.

And no one is doing SYD yet. Just sayin.

(I'm also just personally boycotting MH)
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Last served in 2008 with a daily MD80.
Yep i took that flight several times with a connection on to DFW since fares were quite a bit lower then the nonstop and pretty easy upgrade.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Although if there was ever a time to invade SFO and try to take on a struggling UA it would be now...
Would lack of gates be an issue? I don't know how big VX is in SFO these days.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Correction on LAX-BDL, as I believe somebody pointed out up-thread, it is switching to a seasonal route. Not discontinued.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Cabotage....
To be fair, YVR was at one point the equivalent of a AS hub. Service to LAX (up to 6x p/day), LAS, SAN, SFO, SEA, PDX, ANC, PHX and SNA (which lasted a day). Had a Board Room which just closed a few years ago, and an airport map of YVR was shown in the AS magazine of hub airports. YVR had some significance for AS until ops wound down in the late 00s.

I'm intrigued to see if there will be any response by AS to AA and DL starting LAX-YVR later this year.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by seshrama2
Great news ! Now I hope they start SAT-MIA and SAT-JFK soon.
+1 to MIA, on a new 787 and a free pony on the inaugural flight.

In all seriousness, I can't wait to see the schedule for LAX to SAT. It could save me two hours from connecting in Dallas on the way home, if the timing is right. I am torn though, because I am a segment qualifier and need that extra segment.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
To be fair, YVR was at one point the equivalent of a AS hub. Service to LAX (up to 6x p/day), LAS, SAN, SFO, SEA, PDX, ANC, PHX and SNA (which lasted a day). Had a Board Room which just closed a few years ago, and an airport map of YVR was shown in the AS magazine of hub airports. YVR had some significance for AS until ops wound down in the late 00s.

I'm intrigued to see if there will be any response by AS to AA and DL starting LAX-YVR later this year.
Maybe it had a similar quantity of flights, but it in no way resembles a hub operation if it is literally illegal to connect between any of those flights. LAS-YVR-ANC might make sense on a map, but you can't book or fly it.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by N830MH
Did old America West flown LAX-YVR/YEG years ago?
Don't know about AmericaWest but Western used to fly YEG-LAX (and its hub at SLC) as well as from YYC. At one time the evening flight went LAX-YYC-YEG (and YEG-YYC-LAX the next morning). YEG bound passengers stayed on the plane when it reached YYC and flew on to clear customs/immigration at YEG. DL ultimately abandoned YEG completely a few years after the merger.

AA started flying DFW-YEG in April with A319s so adding LAX is another small step to increasing service into western Canada.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sts603
Only for two weeks over Christmas and New Years.
I'll bet you it comes back at some point during 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.