ARCHIVE: AA Celebrity Sightings and Related - 2000-2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:00 pm

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
Lassie

Traveled with Lassie and the Trainer many years ago upfront, ord/lax
rm
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Japhydog
If you're so concerned about keeping your suit clean, don't fly in it --
I find this type of response obnoxious. If you're so concerned about your dog, don't fly with it. I really don't understand why people take their pets with them on flights (unless they are moving or something)... pets can survive at home just fine. I would be thoroughly appalled if I ever had to deal with dog hair on a seat, and dogs shouldn't fly first class period end of story.

What next, will people start bringing their pet birds onboard? Or maybe their pet snakes and hamsters?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA.com does not seem to talk about pets occupying a seat (http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...WithPets.jhtml )
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
. . . and dogs shouldn't fly first class period end of story.
Why not?

Are you including service dogs when you say that dogs shouldn't fly in F?

USAir flew a "service pig" in F a few years ago:

http://disweb.org/travel/travel_pigs_fly.html
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Service dogs (and other species) are allowed by Federal authority, period. AA has little to say about it, and having it along not an option for someone using a service dog. Regardless of how some people's homes may smell, assuming it were true that all pets urinate in the home.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mwhitted
In the 80s when I was a programmer for AA in TUL and DFW, we had a blind programmer
Out of curiosity, how was this fellow interfacing with the code? Perhaps that solves some of the random fare mysteries one encounters
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
D: D: Actually, it was the dog that did it to the fares structure...

Originally Posted by ConsultantFlyer
Out of curiosity, how was this fellow interfacing with the code? Perhaps that solves some of the random fare mysteries one encounters
Re:
Originally Posted by mwhitted
In the 80s when I was a programmer for AA in TUL and DFW, we had a blind programmer.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ConsultantFlyer
...Out of curiosity, how was this fellow interfacing with the code?...
Having worked with some visually impaired professionals, I've noted that their memory tends to be outstanding. The majority of what we use our vision for is so we don't have to remember things like which hanger in the closet has the blue suit, where the button for the 9th floor is in the office elevator, or what line 43 of the event handler says. Learning things we haven't seen before, while important, is a smaller fraction of the total.

For the rest, there are devices to help, including voice synthesizers to read code.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat
In June, I flew DFWMSY with 2 dog handlers (I think they were military) and their 2 dogs. Both dogs were muzzled. They were seated in the bulkhead and the dogs were on the floor. They were very well behaved. I felt very safe on that flight to say the least. I would have been happy to be seated next to those guys.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:11 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
restate my situation from yesterday

Again, the specific situation I am addressing was a full sized German Shepherd laying across two coach seats 11AB on a 757 AA1533 FLL-LAX yesterday (10/3). The passenger/trainer accompanying the dog was not blind in any way. I was seated in 18C (exit row aisle of course), so I didn't interact with the guy or the dog.
- Dog boarded during preboard w/ trainer.
- Dog was seated in 11A during boarding and later 11AB when laying down.
- The plane was almost at full capacity. I am quite certain that the dog had two purchased seats and the trainer had one. If AA let them get away with only paying for two of the three seats on a packed flight, I don't want to know about it. In fact, if i can get three seats by paying for two, I might consider picking up a stray dog on the way to the airport next time it's that crowded. My next two FLL-LAX flights seem to be at capacity.
- No blanket under the dog.
- Not sure if dog ate food or drank water during flight.
- Never a bark or movement from dog seat(s) during 5+ hour flight.
- FA, when asked, said that dog was used on tv/film projects. When lady in 19D asked about current projects, the FA inquired and returned w/ response, "not working on anything right now."
- Despite preboarding, dog/trainer did not try to get off the plane ahead of everyone else. The left the plane behind pax from row 10.
- Didn't see an uproar during the flight, so I am assuming that the dog doesn't have gas problem like my friend Dave's dog.

I would like to know more from AA on this, but I am not going to call and spend my time trying to figure it out. If someone knows someone at AA, it would be interesting to see what reuqirements are in place, b/c apparently there are no firm rules for airlines needing $$$.

Sam
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Most people? Pluuueeeze. And then there's the disgusting shedding of the animal's hair that's going to occur no matter how "clean" the animal is. Every house I have visited where the owner allows a dog or a cat smells of urine. Of course, the homeowner cannot smell it. It's filthy and disgusting.
Many human beings shed hair and have disgusting habits and smells. God forbid you have to sit next to someone with a colostomy bag, or an infant/toddler with a dirty diaper. People with well trained dogs do not have homes smelling like urine because of the dogs -- maybe it's because some visitor missed the toilet while trying to urinate. And what does a urine smelling home have to do with a dog on an airplane? Puhleeeeeeeeeze.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I find this type of response obnoxious. If you're so concerned about your dog, don't fly with it. I really don't understand why people take their pets with them on flights (unless they are moving or something)... pets can survive at home just fine. I would be thoroughly appalled if I ever had to deal with dog hair on a seat, and dogs shouldn't fly first class period end of story.

What next, will people start bringing their pet birds onboard? Or maybe their pet snakes and hamsters?
And I find your type of response obnoxious. If you object to flying with dogs or something else that makes you uncomfortable, don't fly a public carrier, charter your own jet. On a public carrier, you may come across many things that are objectionable to you. If you charter a jet, you can decide who or what flies.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rockdocs
Traveled with Lassie and the Trainer many years ago upfront, ord/lax
rm
Did he/she turn its nose up at the fc meal.....?..........

I couldn't remember if Lassie was male or female. I thought I read somewhere that it was really a he instead of a she--or the other way around--but I have forgotten why it was so....
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Japhydog
And I find your type of response obnoxious. If you object to flying with dogs or something else that makes you uncomfortable, don't fly a public carrier, charter your own jet. On a public carrier, you may come across many things that are objectionable to you. If you charter a jet, you can decide who or what flies.
personally, i am also very allergic to dogs, and have always dreaded the possibility of sitting down next to some one has their dog in a carrier (or much worse wrapped up in their coat!).

animals, other than service ones, are not allowed in most public transportation (any others that I can think of, in any city or country i have ever been in), you can't bring your dog in lots of other public places, museums, restaurants in many municipalities, etc. why on earth would you bring one into a small cramped environment? that is just rude and inconsiderate to other people. i pay to fly with humans (many admitedly have their own hygenic problems) not on a flying zoo.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
When I moved from the US to Europe I had to fly my dog in the hold. I trained my dog on being familiar with and sleeping in her kennel as well as drinking from the water dispenser attached to the door. The entire flights I was VERY worried about her and was most pleased to see she was alright when we got to our destination. I would have MUCH rather bought a seat for her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.