Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Tugg
I don't see how it's much different form previous double or triple EQM bonuses. They are pretty much saying you need to fly a third-ish of the EQM for an elite level in a third of a year. Isn't that about the same as say fly 33k in a period and we'll give you 2-3x (66k) in bonus EQM to reach your level?
The biggest difference is that the previous 2-3x EQM promos were open to current elites as well. The way it stands, I'm going to still be GLD this year after probably 35k total EQP (and I'll have a greater than 1:1 PTS/MI ratio) while someone who's nothing now and flies 30k miles in the next four months will have EXP.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stsomewhereman
Elite-Status Offer Terms and Conditions
AAdvantage elite-status membership received through this offer is valid through February 28, 2015. Upon reaching the required elite-qualifying miles threshold, your AAdvantage elite status membership benefits will take effect immediately

I wonder if you will receive the elite benefit at each threshold? ie at 12K EQM will I get all the benefits of Platinum on the way to 30K for Executive Platinum.
Yes. Just like if you did if you were a non-Elite going through the tiers the old fashioned (and respectable ) way. Reach threshold, earn that status. Reach next threshold, earn that status.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Here's my concern:

Kettle signs up for this promo. Then does as few as three MRs.... to HNL or EZE....10k EQMs each. Earns EXP status. Yikes! Could be a LOT of competition for eVIP upgrades next year...
I really think that is unlikely. Think about trying to explain that to someone who takes a few flights a year. Someone who travels that infrequently probably doesn't care.
I've tried to convince friends and family in the past, who fly infrequently, they should try and take advantage of this, and even gone as far as to try and help them book flights, etc., and they look at me like I'm crazy.

While I don't like this promo, I agree with other posters, in that it will mostly encourage other high volume flyers to move over to AA. But again, unless you're in a market like Chicago, where AA and UA have substantial operations, I can't imagine this will have much of an impact (at least for those of you non-ORD flyers )
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:17 pm

Wow, I suddenly don't feel so good about earning Gold status last week!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by spicecake
As someone with no status, and normally only flies by redeeming points, this sounds tempting to me.

Use TY points to mileage run to Exec Plat. Then use TY / UR to buy cheap economy international tickets and upgrade later.

But will I fly enough later to make it worth it...
Even "cheap" economy tickets are usually $600 at least, that's a lot of TYP/UR. You'd also need upgrade availability on the flights you would want to book. This also assumes that AA is giving EXPs under this offer SWUs once they hit 30k, this is likely but not certain for sure.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Originally Posted by brp
(I'd also guess - without evidence - that most of the people making these complaints are bottom-feeder, el cheapo elites like me
Originally Posted by flierlink
You guessed wrong, I'm lucky to travel mostly on premium fares. I got near 150K points now (100K miles) and It's really annoying that AA doesn't send anything my way. The few times I traveled coach this year I didn't get upgraded. I reached 290K EQP last year, yet I am not considered more valuable that someone that gets 30 K miles today. For AA the EXP level has no value whatsoever, so it can be -practically- given away.

For EXPs it is time to start building 'equity' on other carriers, there is no life after 150K. It is time to flee, in particular if you fly on premium fares less than 100% of the time.

Anyone can recommend an alternative carrier to Asia/BOS/JFK from LAX?
No, I don't believe that I've guessed wrong

Originally Posted by Stripe
This is ridiculous. I will requalify with legitimate EQMs this year and my spouse (currently Gold) will likely qualify for Plat. I was hopeful that a promo-free year would clean out the ranks and make status meaningful again, but that was obviously naive. AA must think people like me are really stupid. Perhaps I was, but I will not be going forward.
Originally Posted by flierlink, about Stripe quote
Unfortunately, you are right. It is time for EXPs to move to other programs.

Which program offers better benefits at the top-tier level (I don't knowthe others well)? We get

8 SWUs
free (space available) domestic upgrades - and we're at 100%
The excellent (although less excellent than it used to be ) EXP desk
Really good (still) IRROPS support

Are there others offering anything similar?

Cheers.
That's exactly my question, were else should I go? What is the best option for premium fare travelers? I just can't stay with AA.

AA has lost my business. It's a matter of principle.

AA marketing seems to believe that their premium travelers would take any abuse. AA has no understanding of what loyalty means, which - and it might come as a surprise to some of you- should go both ways.

What is the point of a FF program if there is no differentiation?

Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I have about 18K booked between now and December. This will take me to platinum for next year, but I would happily have thrown in a couple more trips to try out EXP for the first time.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Could CK be becoming the new EXP?

Just had a random thought: if EXP is going to be diluted, is AA hoping to make CK a fourth ultra-elite status level (like UA GS)? We already have unconfirmed reports here that:

- CK upgrades are sometimes cleared before EXP
- CKs are exempt from mileage upgrade copays
- blocked Y bulkhead seats are available to be pre-reserved by CKs (not by anyone else except handicapped)

I think that if AA were to make CK into a status level, it should give some sense of the qualification guidelines (probably revenue-based). All we know now is that a certain level of AAirpass pretty much guarantees CK membership.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
I'm speechless. My travel this year is heavily backloaded (only 10k EQM so far, and hope to barely requalify for EXP) and so my requalification would be much easier if I opened up a new account. Absolutely infuriating.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Arsey00
I have about 18K booked between now and December. This will take me to platinum for next year, but I would happily have thrown in a couple more trips to try out EXP for the first time.
Go for it!! This is a perfect promo for you. Let it not go to waste.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:30 pm

Anyone have any reason to think AA would let me extend to January 6th? Have PHX-LHR-FCO scheduled on BA in WT+--> CW. Have they ever extended or made exceptions?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Anyone have any reason to think AA would let me extend to January 6th? Have PHX-LHR-FCO scheduled on BA in WT+--> CW. Have they ever extended or made exceptions?
Wouldn't count on it at all..
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Just my two cents...it's the inclusion of EXP that's my sticking point. I actually started my AAdvantage life on a PLT challenge, so I'm not against them at all! AND I'm all for my preferred airline to increase revenue by attracting new customers.

My less-rational side is upset that I'll hit almost 70,000 EQMs and 87,000 EQPs this year (75% earned in the promo period), but will still only qualify for PLT, while someone, for much less effort, will get access to a substantial set of benefits more than me.

I get it, I get it, it's business and really not "loyalty," but it still hurts.

As said previously, I can only hope there's a killer DEQM/TEQM...maybe QEQM??? program in the wings for us!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by SANLAXSFO
That's exactly my question, were else should I go? What is the best option for premium fare travelers? I just can't stay with AA.

AA has lost my business. It's a matter of principle.

AA marketing seems to believe that their premium travelers would take any abuse. AA has no understanding of what loyalty means, which - and it might come as a surprise to some of you- should go both ways.

What is the point of a FF program if there is no differentiation?

If you fly international, SQ, CX, EK, EY, QR comes to mind. (There are more)
If you fly domestic US flights, then grass isn't greener elsewhere.
DL just devalued its mileage substantially.
UA called me (and other 1Ks) over entitled.
Maybe you will be happier at WN or B6? But they dont really offer premium cabin.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA, AA
This is crummy. I'm gold and my wife is Plat and neither of us get upgraded at all on AA. Adios American - we're done with this cr*p!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.