Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Carlos019
I agree. This offer does not make much sense to me without a parallel offer exclusive for AA elites. This offer is effectively hurting AA's current loyal customer and rewarding non-loyal customers. My only explanation is that AA did not think their current elites would find out. I am also surprised that if there is a parallel offer, why not release them at the same time?
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Another slap in the face to existing members who gain status the hard way. Thanks, AA.
It's funny. Each and every time there is a promotion for non-current members, these kinds of comments arise. And I'd bet that 90+% of the people who make them stay with AA. So, it seems like AA are doing the right thing with the way they target these.

Many companies do promotions for new customers only. And of course they know that the existing customers will find out. Some whine about it, some don't. I'd guess that most stay,

From a marketing standpoint (if folks can step back from the feelings of insult to look more objectively), this makes complete and absolute sense, and allowing existing lower-tier member do "buy up" with this makes none at all.

But the cries of foul will certainly continue in this, and similar threads.

Note: As I said above, I don't really like this "free for all." But, if it's going to be done, this is absolutely the right way to do it - exclude current elites - from any non-self-serving standpoint.

(I'd also guess - without evidence - that most of the people making these complaints are bottom-feeder, el cheapo elites like me )

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I personally don't think the sky is falling. I can't imagine that if you're not already an Elite (GLD) at a minimum by now, you are inclined to fly 30K miles b/w September and end of December. And if you did, what are the chances that your travel habits will change so much that suddenly you're jetting around the world burning SWUs next year? I'm sure some will look at this as a once in a life time opportunity to jump to the top tier, but they will be few and far in between.
There will be lots of elites on other airlines jumping to AA because of this promotion.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TAWS
There will be lots of elites on other airlines jumping to AA because of this promotion.
Raises hand
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Kinda makes it look like the merger is over or significantly delayed (ie a couple years). I find it hard to believe they would offer this if they were planning on combining programs soon. Looks like a run on us, dl, and ua elites!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:38 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
I just registered my wife since she has no status and a trip planed to ICN in Oct. Platinum will be easy now I have to convince her she needs to fly around another 15K to become EXP since I have PLAT for life and no chance of making EXP this year. Honestly I like the promo to get to PLat because of the bonus miles at that level. I just saved hundreds not having to buy the status with a challenge. I also will say that as someone who has had to make EXP the hard way for many years with BIS miles I do not approve of this fast track to EXP.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by brp
(I'd also guess - without evidence - that most of the people making these complaints are bottom-feeder, el cheapo elites like me )

Cheers.
Correct! This bottom-feeder el cheapo elite has just emailed AAdvantage CS to register my displeasure! The fact I already have more than enough EQMs booked during the last 4 months of the year to make EXP under this promo but will still end the year as a PLT is
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:41 am
formerly gohima

Where did this offer originally come from?

Doing a quick web sleuthing, I only found blogs linking to the page on AA.com so it is hard to tell if this is targeted or not.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by brp
It's funny. Each and every time there is a promotion for non-current members, these kinds of comments arise. And I'd bet that 90+% of the people who make them stay with AA. So, it seems like AA are doing the right thing with the way they target these.

Many companies do promotions for new customers only. And of course they know that the existing customers will find out. Some whine about it, some don't. I'd guess that most stay,

From a marketing standpoint (if folks can step back from the feelings of insult to look more objectively), this makes complete and absolute sense, and allowing existing lower-tier member do "buy up" with this makes none at all.

But the cries of foul will certainly continue in this, and similar threads.

Note: As I said above, I don't really like this "free for all." But, if it's going to be done, this is absolutely the right way to do it - exclude current elites - from any non-self-serving standpoint.

Cheers.
I'm the bottom feedingest, el cheapoest elite out there (I'm only 1K on UA as I challenged using EXP and got all of my flights to meet the challenge at 2.5 cpm ), and I just can't see too many people who A. Haven't hit 25k this year yet and B. Would want to fly 30k on AA after not flying that much before this year to become EXP. I feel bad for the Golds, a transcon and a short flight (or even a properly routed transcon) by anyone would make a current non-elite Gold, and that is much more likely. 2 transcons and a mid-length flight (again proper routing would cut this to just the 2 transcons) would have someone reach Platinum. But I can't see many who haven't already flown 25k with AA that would suddenly want to fly 30k with AA. The only people I can see doing that would be those who are already elite with other airlines and may have requalified for the level over there (i.e. DL Platinum Medallions who just hit 75k, have 30k to book, but have no shot at Diamond Medallion due to it being 125k). And honestly, those are people AA likely wants. I just feel bad for the people currently in the 25,000-69,999 range on AA, they could fly 30k the rest of the year and not hit EXP but someone who hasn't flown an AA flight would get EXP with the same amount of flying. If these levels were 33% higher (aka 40k instead of 30k for EXP) I'd be a bit happier with it.

Originally Posted by amolkold
Raises hand
Welcome aboard, though we don't allow much of that EQM CC earning over here, unlike all the CC PMs I know of over on that Atlanta airline .
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:43 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gohima
Where did this offer originally come from?

Doing a quick web sleuthing, I only found blogs linking to the page on AA.com so it is hard to tell if this is targeted or not.
LinkedIn
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by B7e7US
So basically the 30,000 EQMs I'm flying between now and december 31st are getting me PLT until 2015, but anyone who signs up and flies the same amount of miles will be EXP. Good Job AA!
That's exactly my position. As noted, accelerated GLD and PLT has been available (for a fee). It's the easy availability of EXP that is new...

Can only hope, as brp suggested, that the two week sign-up window keeps this tight.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TAWS
They already offer status matches all the time. Sure some folks will be in the sweet spot and this will be a windfall for them, but once again, these are going to be only those who: 1) find out about this.. not everyone spends time of FT or AA.com if not a FF of AA, 2) have reached their top tier on their current preferred carrier and find this as an exciting challenge, flying 30K miles w/o EXP benefits while forgoing those similar benefits on their current preferred airline.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:45 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Besides the issue with not allowing current elites, the EQM/not-EQP issue bothers me as well. Does AA NOT want high fare/high revenue flyers? Sure, treat the guy flying full fare F exactly the same as the one flying heavily discounted J for the purposes of this promo.
That is how EQP already works D, I, J, A, F = 1.50, no?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
All of a sudden I'm so much happier I booked AA on my two Asia trips this Fall!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Welcome aboard, though we don't allow much of that EQM CC earning over here, unlike all the CC PMs I know of over on that Atlanta airline .
We just had a nasty devaluation today, and seeing as how I'm no longer ATL-based and now LA-based, a switch should have happened a while ago. This is just the kick in the pants I needed.

And AA does have CC EQM, though it's $40K for a paltry 10K EQM. I got 30K EQM from signup + $50k spend from DL . Add to my flights and 24K rollover and I'm sitting pretty at PM with 85K MQM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: LT NoN REV
Some of you complain but remain loyal to AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.