Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:28 am

I booked an international off-peak award GIG-JFK-LAX with stopover in JFK. I have flown the first segment and want to know if I can upgrade the latter segment to J. I believe I can, but does anyone know what I would be charged in miles? I'm assuming it's 30k since GIG-JFK is 50k in business, but that seems high since I could just book a 25k award JFK-LAX.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: aa
Hello guys!

I'm both a member of american and also qatar airlines, and today i recieved a mail from qatar saying that from now on when i fly on american i can earn miles with qatar, im taking a qatar flight in a few days but im wondering if the opposite is also doable, to earn american airlines miles when flying with qatar airlines flights?

thank you so much!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
When did AA stop allowing passengers to have a whole bottle of water in Y? I just got off the plane and they apologized but had no 16oz bottles to offer in coach...very obnoxious to get up every half hour to get a cup (aka a sip) of water...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Earning AAdvantage miles on AY is pretty good - all published fares earn 100% of miles, whereas that is not true with some other oneworld airlines.

Have you tried looking for your trip on the Finnair site?

In the end, be sure AY has your AAdvantage number on your boarding passes, and retain those and the ticket number until your AA account shows the miles (or you have to send copies to make a missing mileage claim).
Anyone know how long it generally takes for AY flights to post to AA? Been waiting five full days now (Tuesday last week's flight) and nothing has shown in my AA account. My AA number shows on all the boarding passes and from the mileage accrual page it shows my O fare should earn 100% EQMs.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Rukes
Been trying to search the forums for the proper wording/any help for a bit and can't seem to find it...

Just was wondering why sometimes the upgrade lists aren't really in accurate order sometimes. For example, I was just on a flight where I was third on the upgrade list. There were only two first class seats, so I knew I wasn't going to get the upgrade, but what puzzled me is that on the list, #1 got one seat and #7 got the second seat. What happened to #2 getting the second upgrade?

Same thing happened on another flight a bit ago. I was #1 on the upgrade list, but people below me on the list got upgraded.

Both times I was sitting right next to the gate, name was never called or anything like that.

Looking at the info I can gather, it seems like the PALL list is just overall different on their side. So while the public sees the basic numbered list, someone lower on the list could have higher priority than the #1 on the back-end?
In the past, when people would ask "why can't we see the upgrade list" various AA employees (AC angels, GAs, EXP agents) would say "its very complicated" and I think we've all learned that - since given access to the list - that indeed its complicated, and seeing names jump all over the place happens all the time. Sometimes its easy to explain - I'm #1 on the list, you are #2, traveling w/someone who is #3, John Doe is #4, two seats left: I clear, you don't want to split w/the companion, so John Doe gets the seat; but sometimes is far less clear, so indeed - the processing of the PALL list differs from the list visible on the app.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by franzpalleres
Hello guys!

I'm both a member of american and also qatar airlines, and today i recieved a mail from qatar saying that from now on when i fly on american i can earn miles with qatar, im taking a qatar flight in a few days but im wondering if the opposite is also doable, to earn american airlines miles when flying with qatar airlines flights?

thank you so much!
Yes, the aa website was just updated to reflect how many AA miles could be earned on Qatar flights.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:53 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pinned
Is there any possible way to get discounted membership to the Admirals Club aside from status? Perhaps a student discount or something of that sort?
Other than the occasional promos that offer $50 off a new membership or $25 off a renewal, I think status is the main way to secure a discount off of full-price.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...wonderful.html

(Of course, the Citi Executive World Elite MasterCard also confers AC membership, but understand that it's not necessarily within the purview of your question. )
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Actually there are a few options other than flying. Check out http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...false&from=Nav for what AA offers. Also, airline miles may be transferred to other programs that may offer even more options. Granted the exchange rate is not great, but if you have no desire to use them for flying then maybe the other program would be more valuable to you.

Also keep in mind as long as you have activity posting to your account (i.e. CC miles) your account will remain open and if you get enough points, you can buy someone else a ticket.
Originally Posted by bdemaria
No, the vast majority of options are travel (air/hotel/rental car) related. There are a couple of non travel options (e.g., magazine subscriptions) and you the option of transferring them via points.com (which is usually a very bad deal), but those are usually very bad deals.
thanks. the only thing i really want is The Economist subscription. debating whether it is worth it but i have lots of expenses to allocate.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:22 pm

ok, just talked to my bro who collects airmiles. there's a 50k offer floating around, higher than the 40k targeted mailer that i got (for the same 3k MSR)

note to self: always ask an insider no matter how much research i do
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Yes, they should be available for saver business awards. You should be able to call and request the specific flights.
Thanks to all of you! I was able to book the trip I hoped for RT for 3, business class for 300k points! (using KennyBSAT's MAD-ORD connection and the advice posted here.)

You are awesome for sharing your experience!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Be aware: if you acquire a magazine subscription with miles, according to others in another thread, you will be asked for a credit card number - which will then be used to "perpetually" auto-renew the subscription at the current renewal price.

If you have a credit card number with a "virtual card number" (one time use) you may want to use that if you are asked for a credit card number.

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
thanks. the only thing i really want is The Economist subscription. debating whether it is worth it but i have lots of expenses to allocate.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
MTEU Counter Gone for EXP?

Okay, newbie EXP here, do I not earn stickers anymore as an EXP for every 10,000 miles flown? I have a few itineraries with my wife and she requires stickers, so I need to upgrade wisely.

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Okay, newbie EXP here, do I not earn stickers anymore as an EXP for every 10,000 miles flown?
You won't accrue them after reaching EXP. You can use whatever remains in your account and then purchase more to upgrade others.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Be aware: if you acquire a magazine subscription with miles, according to others in another thread, you will be asked for a credit card number - which will then be used to "perpetually" auto-renew the subscription at the current renewal price.

If you have a credit card number with a "virtual card number" (one time use) you may want to use that if you are asked for a credit card number.
thanks. never knew about it.

also, after some quick Googling research, it's good to see that this virtual card number is free service from Citi.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
You won't accrue them after reaching EXP. You can use whatever remains in your account and then purchase more to upgrade others.
Thanks Tom, DANG IT! I went on a sticker spree pre-EXP, DOH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.