Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another disappointing AA F experience... [international 777]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BillBauman
Are you planning to assist your electrician with the wiring and the plumber with the pipes?
Ummm... actually, yes to both. I've done quite a bit of the electrical prep work in consultation with the electrian and have done good bits of the plumbing prep work as well. And since my plumber is installing a bath tub but will likely be coming alone I'll probably even help him carry the tub in.

Futhermore, I'll be courteous to him, whether he uses my name or not, just because that's how I roll, not because it's a "duty."

Originally Posted by BillBauman
If not, why are you asking the passengers (customers) of the flight whether or not they have reciprocated the FA's job duties?
Because this is a public forum and my point of view and ability to ask whatever questions I'd like (as long as it's within the bounds of FT's T&Cs) is as justified as any other crackpot around here.

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubadu

I find it bizarre that so many here continue to cling to the idea that airlines are a service industry. They are not; they are in the transportation industry.

Bizarre???? Service is how AA markets it's premium product.

at 3:06

"First or Business Class passengers will experience a first rate level of service"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go3Zd76fWw4

"It could be it's all about the quality of service" "The Business Class experience on American Airlines"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uwfbxw4BKs

Lead in from "American Airlines" for the below commercial, "Uploaded by americanairlines on Nov 1, 2011
American's global network and international First Class cabin gives you comfort, service and access to conduct business around the world. Watch as this music producer travels to Sao Paulo to deliver a contract to a new band for their U.S. tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vousB_1t0

Delta Airlines
"It comes down to the people" "People who love this industry"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjrB-cYxX0
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:34 am
Suspended

So, just to clear, being greeted by name "once" is sufficient, right? (since that quote is being used throughout this thread)

If the FA addresses you once, while on the tarmac at DFW or JFK prior to a 10 or 12 hour flight to NRT, even if they never address you by name again during the course of that long flight, then we are good to go right?

Just trying to clarifying what is important here...

Regards
Not sure the "once" part?

The company expects its FAs to deliver good service, and believes welcoming upon boarding and using names is part of that.

Even banks, hospitals, car dealers and luxury boutiques today spends millions of dollars on service training. They all know indifferent service loses customers.

Service points such as you point out are there to help the service providers set the stage for providing good service. They are not meant to be the starting and ending point.

I am surprised anyone would really need an explanation to something like that, but since you are confused, hopefully this helps you out. @:-)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Clipper110A
American Airlines' expectation for their own employees is to address pax by name in premium cabin...whether you, or me or anybody else personally thinks that is important to them is borderline irrelevant.
Actually, it's completely relevant whether you want to believe it is or not. If AA believes that FAs failing to address premium passengers by name is detrimental to their business, directly impacting revenue or profitably, they would likely address it.

Corporate America is full of employee handbooks/rulebooks, SOPs, Codes of Conduct, etc. It would be a stretch to believe every single one of those items are adhered consistently (they certainly are not at my company). But you can bet your lucky stars the ones that directly impact revenue are adhered to and corrective action is taken if not.

The US commercial aviation experience (thankfully except for most important aspect, safety) is a "Third World Experience"...maybe "it doesn't matter" to so many people because they don't know any better, or have come to expect far less...AA's published service directives for their employees basically call for them to do everything the OP noted was lacking. OP's "expectations" are based on what AA is requiring for their employees and likely what OP has seen before properly accomplished by other AA crews...
And maybe people should expect less. We got ourselves in this mess. Everyone seems to want BMW quality at a Sam's Club price. You do understand that most of the people participating on FT are flying on carriers that often struggle to cover the costs of doing business. I mean you get that, right?

We now live in a bubble where people start complaining when there aren't $99 each way fares between JFK and LAX. We live in a world where many of the folks flying in premimum class cabins, are in fact NOT big spenders, but are using upgrade instruments, award tickets, etc.

As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for..."

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:44 am

American Airlines' expectation for their own employees is to address pax by name in premium cabin...whether you, or me or anybody else personally thinks that is important to them is borderline irrelevant.
Has AA ever published this "expectation" in a manner generally available to the public, such as an advertisement?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:47 am
Suspended

Actually, it's completely relevant whether you want to believe it is or not. If AA believes that FAs failing to address premium passengers by name is detrimental to their business, directly impacting revenue or profitably, they would likely address it.

And maybe people should expect less. We got ourselves in this mess. Everyone seems to want BMW quality at a Sam's Club price. You do understand that most of the people participating on FT are flying on carriers that often struggle to cover the costs of doing business. I mean you get that, right?

We now live in a bubble where people start complaining when there aren't $99 each way fares between JFK and LAX. We live in a world where many of the folks flying in premimum class cabins, are in fact NOT big spenders, but are using upgrade instruments, award tickets, etc.

Regards
AA's fleet of 777 is 47. They all do one international run daily so 47 and with 16 F seats, if 12 on average were filled with paying passengers (let's say $5,000 each way) it ends up as over $1 billion in revenue per day. Considering AA's entire business strategy is based on their high yield hubs and the high yield destinations such as LHR and NRT etc. Cut it by 75 percent and it's still $250 million in revenue or cut it by 90 percent and still $100 million - any way you cut it fairly decent money.

Clearly AA wants to make a run at getting more paying premium passengers. Otherwise they would have replaced the current J seats with park benches. They also wouldn't have bothered with bedding, pajamas, amenity kits.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Honestly when I read things like this it makes me glad AA is cutting back and will be imposing changes that will make the FAs worklife unpleasant and hopefully some that don't do sufficient work will want to leave.
You think that making their employees' lives "unpleasant" will attract higher-quality employees? Interesting.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
Has AA ever published this "expectation" in a manner generally available to the public, such as an advertisement?
How many companies publish their internal standards for greeting customers?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )

Regards

Would buy that position if AA Intl F was ALWAYS priced below the competition, but that not the case...OP talking here about Intl F...in many cases, the full F premium fare is the same on AA and JL, AA and BA for identical markets...If you pay the full fare on AA, you are not "getting what you pay for" compared to what the competition offers for the same fare on the same routes...

Last edited by Clipper110A; Jun 10, 2012 at 8:54 am Reason: format of reply to quotes
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
There is not general agreement on what constitutes appropriate service, as demonstrated by the posts in this thread.

The only on-board specific in the first video you linked was seat quality.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )

Corporate America is full of employee handbooks/rulebooks, SOPs, Codes of Conduct, etc. It would be a stretch to believe every single one of those items are adhered consistently (they certainly are not at my company). But you can bet your lucky stars the ones that directly impact revenue are adhered to and corrective action is taken if not.
(sorry for double post, had hard time with quote format on single post)

I suppose that is why AA has been so commercially successful recently...And probably also one reason why there ARE full revenue premium pax in the cabins on SQ, CX, BA, etc, and non-rev and upgrade club at AA...Addressing premium by name is one miniscule, simple dimension of the experience, and if FA are unable/unwilling to deliver that, it speaks volumes about the rest....Would love to see the "poll" from AA of all the big spenders here to see if it matters or not so they can directly tie revenue to it.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Plus you regularly deride others who have multiple inferior experiences on AA as regular fliers.

Any agenda?
Deride? Not so much. I don't doubt that most had the experiences that they report. I just indicate my experiences, which are in contrast to theirs.

Agenda? Can't think of any reason I'd have to lie about this, so unlikely.

Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:56 am

It's actually kind of difficult to take you seriously, but I'm bored and I guess we can do this all morning.

Do you really believe and take verbatim all marketing and advertising hype that you read or watch? Seriously? Do you hold EVERY SINGLE other vendor that you transact business with to the same standards you hold airlines? Do you familiarize yourself with the "rulebooks" and quote them verbatim, of every other service entity or organization that you do business with? Do you seek out forums on the internet to post and debate those experiences other than travel? If not, why not?

Not sure the "once" part?
What do you mean not sure? Would this satisfy you or not? You seem to be the keeper of the rulebook on this topic.

The company expects its FAs to deliver good service, and believes welcoming upon boarding and using names is part of that.
You can keep saying that over and over if you'd like, but don't you think that if AA received a measurable number of complaints related to this item they would address it? I mean of all the things to be frustrated about in air travel today, is not being addressed by name really where you want to make your stand? Seriously?

I am surprised anyone would really need an explanation to something like that, but since you are confused, hopefully this helps you out. @:-)
Based on this thread, it hardly seems I'm the only one that doesn't care about this item. I will allocate my travels dollars based on things that concern me (and I encourage others to pick that route vs. the whining route as well) not based on what is in AA's "rulebook."

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
There is not general agreement on what constitutes appropriate service, as demonstrated by the posts in this thread.

The only on-board specific in the first video you linked was seat quality.
I just linked multiple videos from AA that promotes "service" for premium passengers in addition to hard products above.

Dine upon request - seems service oriented to me - it's not - throw a tray in my lap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VujCWb_U1zI

Re the service standards on greeting passengers - there was some discussion of this as I recall when the bedding was announced - based on internal documents of what was expected.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:01 am

...OP talking here about Intl F...in many cases, the full F premium fare is the same on AA and JL, AA and BA for identical markets...If you pay the full fare on AA, you are not "getting what you pay for" compared to what the competition offers for the same fare on the same routes...
Of course, as clearly stated, the OP was flying on an award ticket, not full fare.

Regards

Originally Posted by chuck1
...and it was okay using an award, but if I had paid full fare I would have been dissapointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.