Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another disappointing AA F experience... [international 777]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Xero
I have noticed rude passengers from people of all ethnic groups. Still, FAs are in the service industry and they should remain positive no matter what is thrown at them. It's no excise to be proactively snappy. Perhaps that leads to an increase in frustrated passengers...

Originally Posted by skylady
Realy?
Yes, really!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Most people give a crap.

Either you are having a lot of electrical and/or plumbing work done, or you never buy F or J tickets. BTW, my contractor to whom I recently paid an amount that was about the cost of a few RTW F tickets does address me by name. So do the carpet and window treatment contractors whose compensation is must smaller. You need to find new contractors if you are paying them tens of thousands of dollars and they don't even address you by your name. I always refer to my customers by name, why should any other good business person, contractor, FA or otherwise be any different? Failing to do so is just bad business, IMO.

Also FAs in First on CX, QF and BA always address me by my name, so why can't the airlines from 3rd world America do them same? Those airlines have edible food, too. The meals I had 2 weeks ago in AA F to LHR and back were inedible and an embarrassment.

Actually, I was pretty impressed and pleased when, upon exiting the FL at JFK yesterday, after having interacted with the AAngel for all of 30 seconds upon entry, and with about 50 people in the lounge, she made a point of saying "thank you so much for visiting, Mr. ESpen36, it was great to see you!" Wow! Granted, I have seen her a few other times, but she actually remembered my name about 1.5 hours later, with a steady stream of people! Cool stuff.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Once again demonstrating that the differing opinions on AA's service are entirely due to differing priorities. If my contractor's the best at what s/he does, I don't care if s/he calls me "bub" and shows up wearing an "I'm With Stupid" shirt. Similarly, I'm really more interested in the tangible, rather than superficial, aspects of onboard service. But I'm sure we can spend another several pages fruitlessly arguing our subjective opinions on the matter as objective fact.
I think AA Premium Cabin standards for FAs are to address customers by name - so there is really no room to debate whether or not they should be doing it.

What do you think AA management wants in terms of service delivery? I don't think anything OP mentioned is outside what is supposed to happen. He certainly didn't complain that FAs weren't dressed in sarongs and they didn't serve Dom? He made one suggest for a better breakfast offering.

There is a service element to flying - this crew didn't deliver the service level their company wants them to deliver - end of story even if you think the service level is higher than it needs to be.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Actually, I was pretty impressed and pleased when, upon exiting the FL at JFK yesterday, after having interacted with the AAngel for all of 30 seconds upon entry, and with about 50 people in the lounge, she made a point of saying "thank you so much for visiting, Mr. ESpen36, it was great to see you!" Wow! Granted, I have seen her a few other times, but she actually remembered my name about 1.5 hours later, with a steady stream of people! Cool stuff.
I agree. My JFK FL experiences have all been positive, and the FL attendant went above and beyond the last time I was there.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think AA Premium Cabin standards for FAs are to address customers by name - so there is really no room to debate whether or not they should be doing it.
The debate is over whether pax should get all bent out of shape over not being called "Your Highness, the Grand and Exalted Passenger in Seat 2A, On Whom the Future of All Mankind Rests."

Oops...did I betray the fact that this is probably one of the most DYKWIM-iest threads in a while? :-:
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by lobo411
Oops...did I betray the fact that this is probably one of the most DYKWIM-iest threads in a while? :-:
Nah, we seem to get threads like this about once a week.

"When the FA was serving my dinner, her elbow blocked my screen for 1.37 seconds and she had the nerve to just say "excuse me" instead of issuing a full written apology and compensatory miles! No wonder AA is bankrupt! "
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lobo411
The debate is over whether pax should get all bent out of shape over not being called "Your Highness, the Grand and Exalted Passenger in Seat 2A, On Whom the Future of All Mankind Rests."

Actually it's not. It's more about basic service elements that weren't delivered that are supposed to be:

OP:

-no greeting when coming into cabin or even after sitting down for a few minutes
-no use of names..not once
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Nah, we seem to get threads like this about once a week.

"When the FA was serving my dinner, her elbow blocked my screen for 1.37 seconds and she had the nerve to just say "excuse me" instead of issuing a full written apology and compensatory miles! No wonder AA is bankrupt! "
Don't you think you should focus on what OP actually complained about instead of making stuff up to support your belief that passengers shouldn't even expect to get the level of service AA advertises?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:34 pm

Don't you think you should focus on what OP actually complained about instead of making stuff up to support your belief that passengers shouldn't even expect to get the level of service AA advertises?
You're right. Everyone knows that AA advertises OJ from the finest groves of Mesopotamia hand-squeezed by angels; it's an outrage that they served Minute Maid.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Addressing people by their name is pretty fundamental in service businesses and it's shown to work.--Dale Carnegie

This stuff is so old, rehashed, and proven, I'm surprised to see so much resistance here. AApologizing anyone?
I'd just as soon not be addressed by name all of the time. Whenever someone addresses me by name in every interaction, I feel they're selling something.

I realize I'm in the minority on this. An on-time flight, a nice seat, decent food and enough water satisfies the vast majority of my flight needs.

Not getting promised turndown service and being woken 90 minutes before landing is worth a complaint.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:52 pm

You're right. Everyone knows that AA advertises OJ from the finest groves of Mesopotamia hand-squeezed by angels; it's an outrage that they served Minute Maid.
Lol!

Originally Posted by richarddd
I'd just as soon not be addressed by name all of the time. Whenever someone addresses me by name in every interaction, I feel they're selling something.

I realize I'm in the minority on this.
I feel exactly the same way. Don't address me by name unless you know me, or you'd like to get to know me in a legitimate, long term relationship of some kind (friendship, business partner, student, colleague, etc...). Some people might see keeping my nuts warm as a long term relationship, but to me, it's strictly a temporary exchange of money for service.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:53 pm
Suspended

To make it easier for you so you don't have to resort to hyperbole:

STUFF THAT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN PER AA's SERVICE STANDARDS FOR F:

-no greeting when coming into cabin or even after sitting down for a few minutes
-no use of names..not once
-40 minutes for first drink and seat belt sign was not the issue
-had to request the advertised turn down service
-purser never came to greet us as promised on the new card that comes with the menus that describes the new turndown service
-always thought it was an odd offer but it you going to advertise it, at least ask people if the want the sparkling water pre-arrival
-one of the three F flight attendants was sound asleep in 1D (across from the pilot rest seat which went unused as they used the bunk)...this is fine if it is allowed but I suspect it is not...if so, why do AA flight attendants blatantly violate procedure like with no fear of disciplinary action
-reaching over passengers to wake them up 90 minutes before landing to collect Bose headsets (NOT SURE)

OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS ABOUT WHAT CAN BE IMPROVED:

-some pretty gross food in the JFK Flagship Lounge
-have something other than a breakfast sandwich for the hot option and a choice of breads and not just croissants
-upgrade the OJ...Minute Maid in 3 class F?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:55 pm

Are there published standards for AA F service? Published as in generally available to the public, such as advertisements.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
Are there published standards for AA F service? Published as in generally available to the public, such as advertisements.
It's been discussed in previous FT threads - I think some of it came out when AA implemented the turn down service and the FA union protested about the extra work.

Press release...

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3321

"We believe this new suite of premium products is a wise investment because it enables us to provide an added level of comfort and style to the inflight environment – a sentiment applauded by customers on international test flights earlier this month," said Rob Friedman, American's Vice President – Marketing. "This initiative to further complement our premium customers' travel experience is another example of our commitment to make American the airline of choice for global travelers."

Beginning Sept. 1, customers traveling onboard American's flights between the U.S. and London Heathrow (LHR) will be among the first to enjoy the new offerings. First Class customers traveling onboard Boeing 777s between the U.S. and Heathrow will receive a quilted bed topper custom-designed to fit American's popular Flagship Suite, pajamas and slippers as part of the airline's new turndown service. A lightweight day blanket, new premium duvet and pillow, and an amenity kit featuring a bag with an authentic Eames OfficeŽ design pattern and containing DermalogicaŽ skincare products and other travel necessities complete the new suite of amenities.

"American is the first and only U.S. airline to offer pajamas, slippers and a quilted bed topper as part of its turndown service – a step that better aligns us with our joint business and oneworldŽ Alliance partners," added Friedman.

Copy of FA survey on how the Turndown Service was impacting service

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2929/tdform.png

Last edited by elitetraveler; Jun 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:13 pm

STUFF THAT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN PER AA's SERVICE STANDARDS FOR F:
I get what you're saying; my point is simply that I don't care what the service standards are. My selfish point of view is that I only care about whether the service I receive meets my standards, and it has on every single flight I've taken with AA. Therefore I'll continue giving them my business and writing compliments when I think an employee has gone above and beyond. And I'm sure AA doesn't care about your dissatisfaction as long as you keep giving them your business. If you're really that displeased, put your money where your mouth is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.