Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another disappointing AA F experience... [international 777]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Science Goy
I get what you're saying; my point is simply that I don't care what the service standards are. My selfish point of view is that I only care about whether the service I receive meets my standards, and it has on every single flight I've taken with AA. Therefore I'll continue giving them my business and writing compliments when I think an employee has gone above and beyond. And I'm sure AA doesn't care about your dissatisfaction as long as you keep giving them your business. If you're really that displeased, put your money where your mouth is.
Absolutely - AA used to get 80 percent of my international paid premium travel - now it gets a couple flights per year when they have the best schedule.

As you read AA's own press releases as well as their new business plan it is apparent the goal is to have a competitive international premium product and management believe certain elements from pajamas to turndown service to sparkling water before arrival is part of that experience.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
It's been discussed in previous FT threads - I think some of it came out when AA implemented the turn down service and the FA union protested about the extra work.
The FA survey includes "How many requested t/c svc." OP complains "had to request the advertised turn down service."

FAs appear to believe the service has to be requested. Given the OP only had the initial post, it's hard to tell exactly what happened.

What else in the OP's complaint deals with an issue that has a published AA standard?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
The FA survey includes "How many requested t/c svc." OP complains "had to request the advertised turn down service."

FAs appear to believe the service has to be requested. Given the OP only had the initial post, it's hard to tell exactly what happened.

What else in the OP's complaint deals with an issue that has a published AA standard?
I believe it was reported some of the things that FAs are supposed to do (internal standards) are: Greet when entering cabin, address by name, offer sparkling water, explain new turndown service (i think the request is timing) -- at least that is what I recall reading.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Absolutely - AA used to get 80 percent of my international paid premium travel - now it gets a couple flights per year when they have the best schedule.
Ok, great. I'm absolutely in favor of people choosing the carrier(s) that best meet their needs. It's the people who repeatedly fly AA and then complain on FT about all their flights being "horrible" that perplex me (not saying the OP does this, just a general observation). I think USAir provides horrible service, and I haven't given them a dime in several years as a result.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Ok, great. I'm absolutely in favor of people choosing the carrier(s) that best meet their needs. It's the people who repeatedly fly AA and then complain on FT about all their flights being "horrible" that perplex me (not saying the OP does this, just a general observation). I think USAir provides horrible service, and I haven't given them a dime in several years as a result.
Personally with over 5 million miles on AA I would like them to get back to a higher standard - for me the new J seats are a HUGE step. Their meal service is fine - I wish they would offer low-calorie or fruit plates again in premium cabins long-haul. I always thought the pre-arrival sparkling water was a joke - and certainly don't base my choice on that.

Domestically I fly AA, UA, DL, US, B6 and WN - purely from a FA attitude perspective I don't find much difference except they are all variable. AA definitely has better meals in F - they all need to do a better job having cleaner planes - to that end I find B6 and WN do the best job.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:03 pm

I believe it was reported some of the things that FAs are supposed to do (internal standards) are: Greet when entering cabin, address by name, offer sparkling water, explain new turndown service (i think the request is timing) -- at least that is what I recall reading.
My question was published standards, i.e., generally available to the public, such as an advertisement.

Violating internal standards is a bad thing, but it's not clear customers can rely on non-public internal standards.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:05 pm

for me the new J seats are a HUGE step. Their meal service is fine - I wish they would offer low-calorie or fruit plates again in premium cabins long-haul. I always thought the pre-arrival sparkling water was a joke - and certainly don't base my choice on that.
That I completely agree with.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: PLT AA 2MM, Silver US, DL, NW
Another dissapointing AA F experience...

Air travel is now a commodity. We have a market driven almost completely by price. We pay less than 20% of what fared were 20 years ago in constant dollars. Why is everyone surprised that service levels are so much worse?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jafrelin
Air travel is now a commodity. We have a market driven almost completely by price. We pay less than 20% of what fared were 20 years ago in constant dollars. Why is everyone surprised that service levels are so much worse?
Maybe because airlines continue to promote premium travel experiences?

You don't find too many people complaining they were let down by RyanAir or Southwest when it comes to "service levels."
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:04 pm

I must also disagree with OP.. .I fly LAX-JFK weekly.. The service is good, consistent and the first class lounges at JFK and LAX are excellent. What is wonderful, IMHO about the transcon service how far superior it is to UA P.S which I have had to suffer through about 12 times since Jan 2012...
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Paxs flying International F are generally really big spenders. Moreover F International will soon be dedicated to just certain routes. While the unions would probably never allow it I say that AA should have a select group of elite International F FAs. They would need to apply, go through a special interviewing and selection process and subsequently complete a specialized training program.

When someone is paying $10K+ for an airfare they should get 5 star+ service.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not to hijack the thread - but the sparkling water thing on AA is just ridiculous! I can have sparkling water on any carrier and if in F instead of J I can even have it when the wheels are almost down for landing. How anyone ever thought that sparkling water is worth calling out as part of premium service should have to fly Ryanair for life!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by RTW4
I must also disagree with OP.. .I fly LAX-JFK weekly.. The service is good, consistent and the first class lounges at JFK and LAX are excellent.
In fairness to the OP, generally good experiences on LAX-JFK are not inconsistent with a single bad JFK-EZE flight.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jafrelin
Air travel is now a commodity.
So how do you explain AA vs. BA on transatlantic? Or VX or B6 vs AA on domestics? Or AA vs NK (that's Spirit)?

Air travel is quite far from being a uniform commodity; AA positioned itself in the ugly profit-less middle of a differentiated marketplace, where the product is neither premium (BMW, Audi) nor dirt-cheap (Accord).
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW4
I must also disagree with OP.. .I fly LAX-JFK weekly.. The service is good, consistent and the first class lounges at JFK and LAX are excellent. What is wonderful, IMHO about the transcon service how far superior it is to UA P.S which I have had to suffer through about 12 times since Jan 2012...
UA IFL have a nice food selection IMO over AA FL's - sushi, boiled shrimp, sliced roast beef. That said the cold sandwiches and fresh fruit offered in IFLs are fine and let's me avoid eating on the plane. Onboard UA PS has gone downhill in F.

The AA JFK-LAX F lunches are subpar IMO. Again, not trying to make these into anything huge other than general comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.