Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another disappointing AA F experience... [international 777]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: ex AA EXP now a Free Soul
Originally Posted by scubadu
I continue to be utterly perplexed as to why some people are obsessed with things such as this, I really seriously am.

I have an electrician coming to my home today and a plumber coming on Tuesday. I will likely be paying them more money for services rendered than I spend on an airline ticket. Neither of them will likely remember my name 20 minutes after I greet them at the door. Who gives a crap?

Additionally, I'd be interested to know what percentage of folks who always whine about stuff like this actually remember and use the FA's name during the flight, as opposed to "Hey Miss or Sir" or just "Excuse me can I get more booze?"

Regards
While reading this comment, 2 things come to my mind:
-You have NEVER flown on a 5 star airline
-I understand now better why US carriers have gone down so fast in the last 15 years with outdated products and careless FAs. 3rd World indeed.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:29 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flightpath844
I have flown a 5 star carrier - CX F.

The food and beverage were considerably to substantially better than AA F.

The service was marginally worse, overall.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy
I think USAir provides horrible service, and I haven't given them a dime in several years as a result.
Truth! I have been US Air free for 12 years now, except one flight last year AA booked me on to get me home from JFK during IROPS. On the basis of that flight I will not be running back to US anytime soon. I will say the TA US had was great though, I would love to have him over at AA.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler

Domestically I fly AA, UA, DL, US, B6 and WN - purely from a FA attitude perspective I don't find much difference except they are all variable. AA definitely has better meals in F - they all need to do a better job having cleaner planes - to that end I find B6 and WN do the best job.
I agree with that.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
I continue to be utterly perplexed as to why some people are obsessed with things such as this, I really seriously am.

I have an electrician coming to my home today and a plumber coming on Tuesday. I will likely be paying them more money for services rendered than I spend on an airline ticket. Neither of them will likely remember my name 20 minutes after I greet them at the door. Who gives a crap?

Additionally, I'd be interested to know what percentage of folks who always whine about stuff like this actually remember and use the FA's name during the flight, as opposed to "Hey Miss or Sir" or just "Excuse me can I get more booze?"

Regards
Are you planning to assist your electrician with the wiring and the plumber with the pipes? If not, why are you asking the passengers (customers) of the flight whether or not they have reciprocated the FA's job duties?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
You have one CX F flight in your life as your total sample where you find the FAs were "too attentive" and every thread you want to propose that CX service is inferior to AA?

Plus you regularly deride others who have multiple inferior experiences on AA as regular fliers.

Any agenda?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
In my limited experience on international F, I have found good and bad service. When it was bad, I found the same issues the OP posted in this thread.

My numerous experiences in J have been from average to very good.

I think it is reasonable to expect better everything in F.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everybody!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Really? Just completed two flights in CX F noting but utmost professional service and a spotless aircraft what a novel concept. I did not find the service intrusive, they brought me everything I needed and checked back to ensure all my needs are met and didn't treat me like a nuisance.

Yet another negative about AA F is that the cabin isn't sufficiently designed to maximize customer privacy and block galley light and noise. For example, despite the spacious design of the CX F cabin, unless you make a concerted effort you really can't see your fellow cabin mates if everyone is in their own space. The galley is much better shielded and with fewer distractions than AA F.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Honestly when I read things like this it makes me glad AA is cutting back and will be imposing changes that will make the FAs worklife unpleasant and hopefully some that don't do sufficient work will want to leave. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior, I'm sure these FAs expect good service when they visit Denny's and stay at the Holiday Inn on their own dime.

Originally Posted by chuck1
JFK-EZE
-some pretty gross food in the JFK Flagship Lounge
-no greeting when coming into cabin or even after sitting down for a few minutes
-no use of names..not once
-40 minutes for first drink and seat belt sign was not the issue
-had to request the advertised turn down service
-purser never came to greet us as promised on the new card that comes with the menus that describes the new turndown service
-always thought it was an odd offer but it you going to advertise it, at least ask people if the want the sparkling water pre-arrival
-have something other than a breakfast sandwich for the hot option and a choice of breads and not just croissants
-upgrade the OJ...Minute Maid in 3 class F?
-one of the three F flight attendants was sound asleep in 1D (across from the pilot rest seat which went unused as they used the bunk)...this is fine if it is allowed but I suspect it is not...if so, why do AA flight attendants blatantly violate procedure like with no fear of disciplinary action
-reaching over passengers to wake them up 90 minutes before landing to collect Bose headsets

The flight attendants were pleasant enough and it was okay using an award, but if I had paid full fare I would have been dissapointed.

The above is consistent with my AA experience. It seems management is aware this is going on but does not address the matters. While AA maybe a union shop there certainly are things they could do to take corrective action and prevent this from happening in the future.

While I'm generally not a fan of unions, I'll say several US Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, and Ritz-Carlton locations have UNITE Here represented staff and don't have the same service issues AA does. Sure the service from US based represented properties isn't as good as non-represented and certainly far behind Asian locations but its still acceptable IME. I hear PM-UA has much of the same as AA as do the PM-NW crews at DL (no surprise there).

Originally Posted by Xero
I have noticed rude passengers from people of all ethnic groups. Still, FAs are in the service industry and they should remain positive no matter what is thrown at them. It's no excise to be proactively snappy. Perhaps that leads to an increase in frustrated passengers.

Also yes many of you never receive bad service. Just because you've never doesn't mean others haven't.
Agree completely, many would say its an insult to call the FAs service industry employees. I have and will continue to regard them as such. Many also take offensive to the use of the term Cabin Attendant or Steward(ess) when still to this day:

We will be conducting a recruitment exercise for Flight Stewardesses/Stewards in Singapore. If you meet the following requirements, we will be pleased to meet you at our walk-in interview.
http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/ca...-appointments/

Prior to flight duty, cabin attendants confirm their individual roles for safely in the cabin, and directions on how to use emergency equipment, etc. To prepare for an emergency, they carry out image training of evacuating passengers by watching a video.
http://www.jal.com/en/safety/staff/attendant.html

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just flew JFK-LHR in F on the 772 and the service was outstanding! Purser was efficient and professional, addressing us by name, offering pajamas and turndown service, and collecting the BOSE headphones without disturbing us (I prefer to wear my own for sleeping). Great flight! Wish it had been a longer flight so I could have enjoyed the service for longer.
Why not travel from LAX if you enjoy the AA F experience since afterall its an industry leading product renowned for legendary service?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Most people give a crap.
Well, I'm afraid I completely disagree with. Please define "many" and where do you come to that conclusion from. Do you have any data to support that assertion?

I'll go so far as to say I'd be willing to bet not even an infinitesimal percentage of fliers give a crap about this. In fact, I'd bet not even "many" FTers care about this (I'm referring to all FTers, not just participants in this thread).

The fact that you and a couple other folks here care hardly equates to "many." I work at a company where a number of my colleagues fly international premium cabins. When returning from their trips and chatting about their experience they will often mention several items; lost luggage, missed connections, tactically chosen seat switched at the last minute, TSA experiences, etc. I've never once, never ONCE, had a single person say, "Gosh, great trip everything was ship shape excepting that the FA never used my name, and I'm just crestfallen."

Nor have I ever, NOT once heard that from friends or family that fly in premium cabins. Where do I hear if from? Just right here on FT.

Failing to do so is just bad business, IMO.
I disagree. At least as it relates to the airline business. Because as history has clearly taught us in this forum, people who start whining threads, basically just do that DYKWIA whining thing, cast aspersions of "bad business practices, etc" and then what do they do? What specific course of action do they pursue? Well, of course they book their very next flight on the same carrier.

So, if a business is not doing something which apparently has absolutely no bearing, whatsoever, on revenue generation and profitably (you know that crazy concept that many here forget airlines are actually supposed to be doing) and the vast majority of people could care less about it and won't actually change their spending patterns because of it, then please, by all means explain to us how that is bad business.

And if you choose to take up that challenge, please no analogies from another industry; we aren't talking about other industries or businesses, we're talking about the airline business.

The meals I had 2 weeks ago in AA F to LHR and back were inedible and an embarrassment.
Then STOP transferring money from your account to AA's. Yes, it's that simple, no whining, no gnashing of teeth, no FT threads; pick up your marbles and take them to an airline that you believe meets the needs, expectations, and requirements for you to transfer your hard earned money from your account to theirs. Why is that concept so incredibly difficult to grasp in this forum?

People around here love to point out bad business practices and lecture on how AA should be conducting their affairs. But they never want to address the flip side of that coin and their own responsibility as consumers. In a capitalistic, free market economy we have choices regarding how we allocate our money to business. If there are people to whom being greeted by name whilst flying at 38,0000 feet in an aluminum tube is of utmost importance to, then allocate dollars accordingly and move your business to a company that prioritizes greeting people by name. And yes, it's that's simple. If people aren't willing to do that, then enough with the bellyaching already.

Vote with your dollars; that is a GOOD business practice.

Originally Posted by hillrider
This stuff is so old, rehashed, and proven, I'm surprised to see so much resistance here.
Are you even open to the possibility, just even a smidgen, that the reason there is resistance here is because less people care about this that you believe do or should? Is that even remotely possible? Is it possible that in a world of ~7 billion, not everyone sees everything through the prism you do?

Dale Carnegie has been dead since 1955. Societies change, norms change, expectations change. And the U.S. airline industry is in a state that Dale Carnegie could never have imagined.

I find it bizarre that so many here continue to cling to the idea that airlines are a service industry. They are not; they are in the transportation industry.

Originally Posted by hillrider
AApologizing anyone?
Nope, I'm good.

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:51 am

Actually it's not. It's more about basic service elements that weren't delivered that are supposed to be:

OP:

-no greeting when coming into cabin or even after sitting down for a few minutes
-no use of names..not once
So, just to clear, being greeted by name "once" is sufficient, right? (since that quote is being used throughout this thread)

If the FA addresses you once, while on the tarmac at DFW or JFK prior to a 10 or 12 hour flight to NRT, even if they never address you by name again during the course of that long flight, then we are good to go right?

Just trying to clarifying what is important here...

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
I realize I'm in the minority on this. An on-time flight, a nice seat, decent food and enough water satisfies the vast majority of my flight needs.
I'm not at all convinced you are in the minority. I suspect you are part of a rather large but silent majority.

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:58 am

I always thought the pre-arrival sparkling water was a joke - and certainly don't base my choice on that.
So, if sparkling water isn't delivered, no big deal, even though that's a standard of service. But if someones name isn't used, "not even once" then that's a big deal?

Ok...

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:06 am

Yea, it's always useful to draw conclusions about people you know nothing about, but hey at least you incremented your post count by one.

-I understand now better why US carriers have gone down so fast in the last 15 years with outdated products and careless FAs. 3rd World indeed.
Sure, definitely. The U.S. airline industry is in it's current situation because guys like me sit around liquored up, in their underwear typing anonymous posts on the internet wondering why people have a deep seated need to be addressed by name while flying through the air in an aluminum tube. Yea, that's it.

I mean it probably doesn't have anything to do with the economics of the industry, the price of oil, the unwillingness of most American's to choose to fly based on anything other than lowest price, etc. Nope, couldn't be anything like that...

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Originally Posted by brp
I care. This is a thread about a "disappointing experience." This is based upon expectations. If I don't expect, or need, something, then I won't be disappointed if it is not present. Consequently, expectations are considerably more important than "service standards" when it comes to whether a given person is disappointed.

Expectations are logically based on American's inflight service standards which should be consistently delivered....whether you or I personally care or not or would be disappointed is another matter...

This is another thread about AA FAs not following company procedures and people who have been on enough flights with AA (and every other airline on earth) to know what those procedures are noting that fact. And predictably, it turns into whether or not being addressed by name is personally important to A or B poster....

Definitely true. Of course, in adjusted dollars, the fares are also considerably lower. Want to pay twice what you're paying now? Maybe you can get lobster. It's silly to pay substantially less and still expect the same food and beverage. This goes back to reality of expectations.
American Airlines' expectation for their own employees is to address pax by name in premium cabin...whether you, or me or anybody else personally thinks that is important to them is borderline irrelevant. AA has been in aviation business longer than most of us have been alive..one long standing component of multiple components they have created to attempt for a decent experience for consumers may be VERY important to one customer, and irrelevant to another. Another component may not matter to one customer and be very important to another.

Not worried about eating on US carrier..these days respectfully decline...what I am saying is that VERY OFTEN on this forum, when someone has an issue with"poor service", there is a band wagon that appears saying, "that issue doesn't matter to me"...

The US commercial aviation experience (thankfully except for most important aspect, safety) is a "Third World Experience"...maybe "it doesn't matter" to so many people because they don't know any better, or have come to expect far less...AA's published service directives for their employees basically call for them to do everything the OP noted was lacking. OP's "expectations" are based on what AA is requiring for their employees and likely what OP has seen before properly accomplished by other AA crews...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.