Another disappointing AA F experience... [international 777]

Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Another disappointing AA F experience... [international 777]

JFK-EZE
-some pretty gross food in the JFK Flagship Lounge
-no greeting when coming into cabin or even after sitting down for a few minutes
-no use of names..not once
-40 minutes for first drink and seat belt sign was not the issue
-had to request the advertised turn down service
-purser never came to greet us as promised on the new card that comes with the menus that describes the new turndown service
-always thought it was an odd offer but it you going to advertise it, at least ask people if the want the sparkling water pre-arrival
-have something other than a breakfast sandwich for the hot option and a choice of breads and not just croissants
-upgrade the OJ...Minute Maid in 3 class F?
-one of the three F flight attendants was sound asleep in 1D (across from the pilot rest seat which went unused as they used the bunk)...this is fine if it is allowed but I suspect it is not...if so, why do AA flight attendants blatantly violate procedure like with no fear of disciplinary action
-reaching over passengers to wake them up 90 minutes before landing to collect Bose headsets

The flight attendants were pleasant enough and it was okay using an award, but if I had paid full fare I would have been dissapointed.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:17 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Wink

I have taken hundreds of AA flights and have never experienced this.
Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club
Another dissapointing AA F experience...

Flew DFW-EZE and EZE-MIA last month. No turn down offered on either. Didn't even know it was offered. Both crews were pleasant enough personality-wise. Main complaints were 1. No use of names. 2. Breakfast omelette was inedible. 3. MIA crew was sloooooow. Waited 30 min after I was done for someone to grab my dinner tray. Had to flag them down from the galley.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Is it me, or do the EZE routes seem to get the most complaints on here? A number of the bad premium class service complaints I see are for routes to EZE. I don't seem to see them as much for F or J to GRU, or the major premium deep SA 763 only services to SCL or GIG or MVD.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1 Million Miles, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, AA Citi Exec, Hilton Aspire, Bilt
On 5/26/12 I flew F on the early EZE-MIA flight which was staffed by the EZE based flight attendant crew. My experience was nothing like that experienced by the OP. Turndown service was offered (which I declined), I was called by my last name (Good evening Mr. RockHarders), the salad was custom made to my specifications and the pre-landing sparkling water was offered and served. On 6/3/12 I flew MIA-EZE in J on the late flight which was again staffed by an EZE based crew (the excellent F purser from the EZE-MIA flight), Alejandro, was working the J cabin on this flight and service was pretty good except the breakfast sandwich was offered which is always a greasy mess (I declined to eat it). In terms of F, if you actually pay for it (I used miles) at $10k USD roundtrip I feel sorry for you. However, J is comfortable enough and at $3k USD roundtrip on a paid I fare who can complain.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

It was definetely a JFK based crew and for the poster about the DFW flight that is a 767 which only offer J. JFK is a 777 offering F and J.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:05 pm

Did you let AA know of your experience?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I hate to say this but could just be North American approach to South/Latin America?

I wish I was joking, but having flown ORD-LHR-ORD and ORD-DEL-ORD several times on AA, I can say with confidence that on the average the service was much better to/from LHR. Mind you, still nothing to send waves of anxiety through CX and SQ management, but one didn't encounter the snappy and rude behavior extended to pax from India.

To be fair, I should note the possibility that the pax from India or South/Latin America themselves may be more difficult and thus invite a reaction? Still, while that could explain FA's attitude, it does not explain AA stocking lower quality food and beverages. That obviously implies something more institutionalized.

However, the issue is just a little more complex: OP's treatment and whatever I saw on India service was much better than domestic pax receive. So, international/domestic divide trumps other divides.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:32 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
When it comes to catering AA needs an infusion of new dishes across the board.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by aktchi
I hate to say this but could just be North American approach to South/Latin America?

I wish I was joking, but having flown ORD-LHR-ORD and ORD-DEL-ORD several times on AA, I can say with confidence that on the average the service was much better to/from LHR. Mind you, still nothing to send waves of anxiety through CX and SQ management, but one didn't encounter the snappy and rude behavior extended to pax from India.

To be fair, I should note the possibility that the pax from India or South/Latin America themselves may be more difficult and thus invite a reaction? Still, while that could explain FA's attitude, it does not explain AA stocking lower quality food and beverages. That obviously implies something more institutionalized.

Or perhaps it has something to do with ORD-based crews (though I think they get their fair share of complaints, too)? LHR should also see better service as it is one of AA's few long-haul routes with numerous other options for direct flights (BA on every route other than RDU, UA/CO from ORD and NYC, VS for NYC, ORD, LAX, MIA, BOS and DL from BOS, MIA, JFK; perhaps others I'm missing).
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by aktchi

However, the issue is just a little more complex: OP's treatment and whatever I saw on India service was much better than domestic pax receive. So, international/domestic divide trumps other divides.
When did India move to Latin/South America?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by grahampros
When did India move to Latin/South America?
Ah, did I forget to spell out that both are part of the 3rd world and occasional recipients of ill-treatment from the same folks?

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 8, 2012 at 11:46 pm
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Or perhaps it has something to do with ORD-based crews...
Having flown numerous trips that originated in ORD, I am positive that European destinations and NRT received better service than DEL, which in turn fared better than most domestic destinations.

LHR should also see better service as it is one of AA's few long-haul routes with numerous other options for direct flights.
This is certainly plausible; probably as good an explanation as any. But...AA service to BRU, HEL, and CDG wasn't bad.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I have noticed rude passengers from people of all ethnic groups. Still, FAs are in the service industry and they should remain positive no matter what is thrown at them. It's no excise to be proactively snappy. Perhaps that leads to an increase in frustrated passengers.

Also yes many of you never receive bad service. Just because you've never doesn't mean others haven't.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Xero
I have noticed rude passengers from people of all ethnic groups. Still, FAs are in the service industry and they should remain positive no matter what is thrown at them. It's no excise to be proactively snappy. Perhaps that leads to an increase in frustrated passengers.

Also yes many of you never receive bad service. Just because you've never doesn't mean others haven't.
Really?

Last edited by skylady; Jun 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm Reason: somebody graciously pointed out my typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.