Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another disappointing AA F experience... [international 777]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Right, but I've never encountered airline food that even rivals some low-end restaurants. $10 buys me a better meal here than I'd get on a $10,000 CX F ticket. The spread between the best and worst airline food is minuscule, as gegarrenton points out.
To each his own I suppose... I've noticed vast differences, not only between airlines, but between different flights on the same airline. IMHO, even if the food can't be truly good, the presentation needs to be there in J and F. It definitely makes an impression, good or bad - might as well ensure it's a good one.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Once again I think you are missing the main point of my post as stated in my second sentence: That can be said for any one aspect of the flight, including food; hence the reason I went down all of my priorities.

For many food may not be a big deal but on long haul F, but it is one of the important factors for me; and yes, I do think there is a huge gulf between CX food and AA food in terms of quality, breadth of selection, presentation and service.

But the real difference between AA and CX, or CX and QF, or AA and QF, etc. is comparing the whole package, not just food, not just being addressed by one's name, not just the seat, not just the service, not just the entertainment, etc., but all of those combined. For me, CX takes the cake, with QF A380 F close behind. In some areas, like SYD and MEL F lounges, QF easily comes out ahead of CX.

Another factor for many is the alcohol served on board, as many of the various FT threads on the subject suggest. I don't drink, so the alcohol offered by each airline doesn't matter to me; however for others the wines, after dinner cordials, etc. served may be a big factor in which airline they prefer.
I agree with you on the whole package. The sum of the parts is what makes the experience.

I just don't feel food is a meaningful data point.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by gsupstate
IMHO, even if the food can't be truly good, the presentation needs to be there in J and F. It definitely makes an impression, good or bad - might as well ensure it's a good one.
I agree with that completely. I just feel that is a service item and not a food one. I just consider food as the actual food.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Most frequent travelers understand that food at 35,000 feet won't rival high-end land-based restaurants.
^ Exactly. CX is never going to replace Matsuhisa, Sweet Basil, or L'Auberge Chez François (3 of my favorite restaurants), but I have enjoyed every meal I have been served on CX and especially like the cappuccino and eggs cooked to order for breakfast.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My last meal on AA F (PVG-ORD) was literally inedible. It was a steak that I could not cut with the utinsels provided. It was actually a crew meal because as a Gold member on an award, I was offered the last meal in the cabin, and my choices were vegetarian or a crew meal.

(Yes, I realize that's the correct AA policy for offering meals in F. But it's a sh***y policy. Many good airlines in the world find a way to not run out of meals in 3-cabin F, either by overcatering them a bit or by allowing pax to go online prior to the flight and select a meal.)

I agree that no airfood is going rival a Michelin-rated restaurant on the ground. But you'd think that in an international F seat, it could at least be as good as what you'd get at a mall food court.

I was pretty angry after that flight - felt like I'd wasted a *lot* of miles on those seats. The irony is that my AA flight over (ORD-PVG) was in coach, and we had a great FA working our section and in general a pretty decent experience. I mean, as 14 hours in coach goes... Food was typical coach food, but I was able to eat it without a chainsaw.

In the future, I won't redeem AA F again. I'll make sure it's partner F. I jumped at AA on this one because Shanghai was the end destination and I valued the nonstop. I think I'd have been better off adding a connection through HKG or NRT or whatever. If I'm flying coach, then sure...the AA nonstop is fine...
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
To each his own I suppose... I've noticed vast differences, not only between airlines, but between different flights on the same airline. IMHO, even if the food can't be truly good, the presentation needs to be there in J and F. It definitely makes an impression, good or bad - might as well ensure it's a good one.
Agreed as well. The FAs have no choice in what will be served, and how many of each (so even whether or not someone receives their choice). These are just not under their control.

What is is how the mean is presented. And that should be done in such a way that it feels like a premium cabin experience. I don't need the dry ice sculpture, but I also don't want someone grunting "open tray table...food's coming." I haven't received that sort of treatment - it's always been courteous and friendly, but it seems that some have. That's not OK.

By the way, some may not find rolls thrown from the galley preceded by "here, catch" to be a premium experience, but I would welcome it

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I just don't feel food is a meaningful data point.
Yea, I understand that. For some it is not. Care to share what data points are important to you?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
My last meal on AA F (PVG-ORD) was literally inedible. It was a steak that I could not cut with the utinsels provided. It was actually a crew meal because as a Gold member on an award, I was offered the last meal in the cabin, and my choices were vegetarian or a crew meal.
Two choices, that was it?

BTW, two weeks ago my meals on my JFK-LHR flight and back were inedible too. They literally removed my tray after only taking 1 bite. Fortunately they are fairly short flights.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If the food is *decent*, then I see where people would say that it's a pretty low-priority data point.

It's when it's awful that it *becomes* a meaningful data point.

(To be fair to AA, I'd had other experiences, mostly in AA J, where the food was...okay... Uneventful enough that it was not a meaningful data point.)

For me, I'm happy if the winelist has at least one red wine that I happen to really like.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Back in Coach I consider what's important.
Was there space in the overhead compartment?
Did we get there on time?
Have I the luggage that's mine?
As least this beats chronic unemployment.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's when it's awful that it *becomes* a meaningful data point.
We've flown on AA quite a bit. We've had some quite good food, down to stuff that's "just OK." Have yet to come across all of this "inedible" food that people whine about.

I think it really boils down to "it's an item I don't like, so it's inedible," or some incredibly picky palates that can't deal with anything less than 5 star.

Inedible, indeed. I'll bet others on the flight ate the same meal. Wonder how that happened.

Great food? Hardly. Inedible? Hyperbolic much? The claims of "inedibility" obviously cast doubt on the veracity remainder of the containing rant.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
I was working a SFO-JFK flight where Chef Thomas Keller was on. He ate the entire meal, said he really enjoyed it, where someone else didn't finish theirs because it was 'inedible'.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by brp
We've flown on AA quite a bit. We've had some quite good food, down to stuff that's "just OK." Have yet to come across all of this "inedible" food that people whine about.

I think it really boils down to "it's an item I don't like, so it's inedible," or some incredibly picky palates that can't deal with anything less than 5 star.

Inedible, indeed. I'll bet others on the flight ate the same meal. Wonder how that happened.

Great food? Hardly. Inedible? Hyperbolic much? The claims of "inedibility" obviously cast doubt on the veracity remainder of the containing rant.

Cheers.
No, mine was inedible. It was a piece of steak for which there was no knife onboard that could cut it. It was a crew meal...makes me wonder if it got heated/cooked on an incorrect setting or something.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:36 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, mine was inedible. It was a piece of steak for which there was no knife onboard that could cut it. It was a crew meal...makes me wonder if it got heated/cooked on an incorrect setting or something.
OK, I'll give you this one.

Of course, "pick it up and gnaw on it" is worth a try in this case

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Yea, I understand that. For some it is not. Care to share what data points are important to you?
Sure, service for me is around 80% of it. Seems like an inordinately high number, but to me it covers a lot of ground, (including food presentation!) This goes for the airline as a whole as well. I probably pay 20% more to fly AA over UA/DL, and have some really odd ball routings, but I don't even think twice about it, the difference is service makes it a no brainer to me.

I would say hard product worth 19% and timeliness 1%.

I don't list safety as that is something I feel is a requirement: I don't feel safe, I ain't flyin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.