Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by alnajarian
Same here. Nice move. Incidentally, I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Citi and AA about two weeks ago and was read the riot act. Thankfully they came to their senses.
Same here, was not posted under MM before, now it is. Great move!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bostonoski
Hello all you New Citi Exec card users. Question for you: can anyone help with a direct comparison? Thanks!
Originally Posted by JDiver
AC members may have access to AC when they are not flying on AA, or even when not flying at all (gate passes), plus more guests, and reciprocal access with Qantas Club, and extended access at some other lounges.

AMEX has agreements with some other airlines for lounge access when you are flying with that particular airline - that benefit faded for me when CO dropped the program (I assumre UACO consolidated their lounges). AMEX is accepted by fewer merchants worldiwde because of higher fees than MC or VISA.

It used to be AMEX holders did not get courtesy WiFi and booze, but now all comers get bottom shelf hooch and WiFi, so that no longer applies.

One of the better bits of the new Citi Executive is - no forex fees. I believe Citi AA members get special awards offers as well.
I'll add that with the Citi Exec card if you spend $40k in a calendar year, you will be granted 10k EQM. Depending on how much flying you're doing, an extra 10k EQM might cross you over to GLD status, which allows a few more perks that the Cit Exec card alone, including 25% mileage bonus, earning/burning stickers, free standby, etc
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I'll add that with the Citi Exec card if you spend $40k in a calendar year, you will be granted 10k EQM. Depending on how much flying you're doing, an extra 10k EQM might cross you over to GLD status, which allows a few more perks that the Cit Exec card alone, including 25% mileage bonus, earning/burning stickers, free standby, etc
My 10k EQM still hasn't posted after two full billing cycles has passed. I call and email Citi about it and they have no clue what I'm talking about. One CS via email said I didn't qualify for the promo. I said it wasn't a promo; it''s a standard feature of the card and they still don't know what it is. I never received the email too.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Oddly, have now got status (again, might be best not to ask me about it!)... so now that I am GLD, I think the benefits of the Exec card are only worthwhile if I want AC membership AND am going to spend $40k (which I won't...). Amex clearly not really worthwhile for me unless I fly a lot of other airlines, which is unlikely this year.

Thanks for replies!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A quick datapoint for those who've had trouble with AC access with this card:

This week the LAX and ORD ACs have both been fine just taking my EXP card. Apparently the membership conferred on us by the AA Citi card is definitely (finally) linked properly to our FF# (I was still having issues up until 10 days ago).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:58 pm

A quickie to say that just this moment listening to the radio in southern England... and a small amount of discussion came up about American Express cards.

Radio host "Do they even still exist?!"

Caller "I haven't heard of them in a long time..."

Radio host: "I think they're maybe still popular in America..."

Thus proving those who suggested that - in the UK at least - the Amex card is accepted less and less places are probably correct! I had a good chuckle, regardless.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:25 pm

Oddly, have now got status (again, might be best not to ask me about it!)... so now that I am GLD, I think the benefits of the Exec card are only worthwhile if I want AC membership AND am going to spend $40k (which I won't...). Amex clearly not really worthwhile for me unless I fly a lot of other airlines, which is unlikely this year.

Thanks for replies!
Well, the Amex Plat card is only about $250 if you use the $200 benefit for gift cards, so you can at least get lounge access that way, even if only flying one airline.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Well, the Amex Plat card is only about $250 if you use the $200 benefit for gift cards, so you can at least get lounge access that way, even if only flying one airline.
Does that still work?? (I read a huge chunk of these 88+ pages and I thought that they'd put a stop to that?? You meant buying gift cards on AA.com getting refunded as misc airline charges..?!)

Good point, either way.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:01 pm

Is there an easy way to see your progress towards the 40k spend with this card?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Is there an easy way to see your progress towards the 40k spend with this card?

I actually sent in a request for something like this to their web team.

Short of that I just look at my EOM statements and add them up.

--wes
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
One of the better bits of the new Citi Executive is - no forex fees.
Doesn't AMEX Plat also have no forex fees now?

IMO, considering both Citi Exec and AMEX Platinum have no forex fees, both having the same $450 annual fee, and the former granting access to AC while the latter grants access to the AC and a lot more lounges through Priority Pass, the only upside the Citi Exec has is the EMV chip for use abroad. If the EMV chip isn't important to the cardholder, than the AMEX Platinum would be a better way to go.

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 1, 2012 at 2:05 am
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:45 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Does that still work?? (I read a huge chunk of these 88+ pages and I thought that they'd put a stop to that?? You meant buying gift cards on AA.com getting refunded as misc airline charges..?!)

Good point, either way.
Yes--I just (2 weeks ago) bought 4 $50 gc's.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by kebosabi
That's correct.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
A quick datapoint for those who've had trouble with AC access with this card:

This week the LAX and ORD ACs have both been fine just taking my EXP card. Apparently the membership conferred on us by the AA Citi card is definitely (finally) linked properly to our FF# (I was still having issues up until 10 days ago).
+1. Same experience at DCA, ORD, SFO, and DFW ACs this past weekend.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kebosabi
the only upside the Citi Exec has is the EMV chip for use abroad.
That's one upside, but there are others for some...

1) The semi-Gold status for those who don't have AA status.
2) 10k EQM for those who could use it and who spend $40k/year.
3) Miles that count towards lifetime status for those who signed up before 12/1.

There are probably others, too, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.