Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

We are trapped. Plane in tornado (STL Apr 22, 2011; field now reopened)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We are trapped. Plane in tornado (STL Apr 22, 2011; field now reopened)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Joe Butch
I'm sorry but lol @ asking flyer talk for help.
You might not have seen these.
Many thanks to the locals who have offered assistance.

The Stranded by Volcano Meet up and Offers of Assistance Thread!

Stranded FT assistance thread (911)
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
Our flight was diverted

I was actually inbound on AA 2067 (or was it 2607..?) from ORD, and woke up when we landed in kci instead. Ended up making a slow motion beeline to the hertz counter, where we saw the finest examples of both strangers bonding with each other (the line at every rental counter was 4 deep), and of course the occasional DYKWIA trying to cut to the front saying:

"I'm gold but my name isn't on the board".

We would just laugh at them and say "back of the line, buddy, we are ALL gold".

In rental car by 11:15, home in St louis at 3 am. Swung by the airport, totally blocked off by police, asked the officer how I was supposed to retrieve my car from the garage and he said I could walk in, but there was no driving. So I went home, and now after a few hours of sleep I'm heading back to drop off rental car and retrieve my vehicle. Thankfully I thought to park in the lowest level of the garage instead of the roof deck!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by hockeystl
I just heard the airport authority is currently considering using Terminal 2 for BOTH Southwest AND American flights once they reopen Lambert. While there are some empty gates on the west end of Terminal 2, I dont see how they can manage the capacity when the TSA lines are already a frequent nightmare (and one reason I never fly WN out of STL).

It's going to be the mother of all nightmares if they actually attempt this. The problem with STL now is they mothballed all those gates in the D concourse so those aren't an option. And the B gates have been converted to office space.
I heard the same as well. I've also heard some talk about moving some operations to Mid America (BLV), the white elephant across the river. However, the politicians in St. Louis appear to be playing this down as a "non-option."

To me, it looks like it would be a viable option depending on what can be done at Lambert in the short term. I suspect the politicians are downplaying this because they know Mid America is a potential solution and it could take business & revenue away from Lambert, St. Louis, and the State of Missouri.

The passenger terminal at Mid America isn't huge, but they have unused infrastructure including check-in space, a security checkpoint, and gates.

I could see Mid America as a short term solution for some flights or for a carrier or two.

In fact, I noticed an AA Eagle flight arrived at BLV today:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EGF9500 (DFW to BLV)

The aircraft did a quick turn and is now flying back to DFW as:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EGF9501

As to the purpose of the flight, I can only speculate -- if I had to guess, it would be an employee flight to transport AA employees to/from DFW HQ.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Gold
So, CNN is all over the indefinite closure, making it its top news story. There is some horrible video of large windows shattering and other stuff like that.

What's up with all of these storms? Here in RDU half the city was out of power for a few days because of tornado, then ORD and DFW had Thunderpocalypse, now STL pwnt severely. Maybe somebody is mad about not having FIRST on EXP upgraded passes...
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:40 am

Answers to Questions About Tornado

Here is a report, written at the time, on the tornado as it was about the strike the airport. Lambert was hit about 8:10pm: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...t-airport.html

Here is a summary of the tornado written a few minute ago: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...-st-louis.html
There is a real problem with tornado warnings and aviation. The FAA will not allow tornado warnings to go to air traffic control and they are not given to pilots as part of official weather briefings. I discuss briefly in this posting.

And, here is a summary written last night: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...is-damage.html
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Video of the destruction at Lambert here:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...rt.KPLR?hpt=T1
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:51 am

Looks like AA has some maintenance to do.

Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
Does anyone know the path of this storm? I can't reach my family up there it just goes straight to voicemail.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by sambb
maybe in the morning you will see the devastation - support vehicles overturned, terminal C destroyed, and all the jet bridges gone
it is like a war zone
I'm glad to hear that you're safe and that you were able to reach out here on FlyerTalk.

I first heard about the Tornado @ STL last night during a weather update here (the same storm system hit us in Louisville). The initial pics I saw were outright scary.

I didn't see this thread until this morning, but I am glad you're safe, along with all the passengers on your flight.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the recent severe weather outbreak.

With respect to airports & tornadoes: Several years ago I was on a 757-300 from LAX to MSP. It was obvious there were storms in the area as we were landing at MSP; as the main gear made contact with the runway, I could hear the tornado sirens. We made a fast taxi and deplaned.

Inside the terminal announcements were made to take shelter and to keep away from glass. Most people went about business as usual, as if there wasn't a tornado warning. Luckily, there was no tornado because IF there was, there would have been a lot of injuries, or worse, as the terminal was crowded and very few people even attempted to take shelter.

A lot of us in "tornado country" don't take warnings as seriously as we should; we're used to the sirens going off, getting a t-storm, and nothing happening. Your experience is a sobering wake-up call that warnings do need to be taken seriously.

Thanks for reaching out and I'm happy to hear you're safe.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan
Does anyone know the path of this storm? I can't reach my family up there it just goes straight to voicemail.
The following is a link to a map showing storm reports: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/kml/lsr.php?cwa=lsx
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:05 am

Mayor Slay just said they're hoping to be operating at 70% capacity by tomorrow.

Live presser can be streamed here:
http://www.kmov.com/home/Watch-live-...117035813.html
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by phlashba
I disagree; Very resourceful if you ask me.
In what way? You have pilots on the plane - they are in contact with the tower or their own operations. If they aren't I'd guess they have cell phones and could call 911 - lets go to the extreme and neither pilot has a cell phone - I'm sure someone on the plane would offer up theirs! Pilots also have the ability to access via their own "email" to their operations, so even without voice, they would be in contact. What are Flyertalk members going to do? Grab a stair truck and head on over? Flood an already taxed 911 system with reports of people stuck on a plane at STL? You have 100+ people on this plane - its not like he was out in a field under some debris - Fire, Rescue and EMS will clear all the planes to check for passengers as is SOP for any possible Mass Casualty. This guy was already on the phone with a local radio station, so he cleary has access. Its interesting to see the post for sure, but this isn't the place to post a true emergency while its happening.

Last edited by sweeper20; Apr 23, 2011 at 9:19 am
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
The question must be asked: Just how many miles should one expect with getting caught up with a tornado on the runway?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
Originally Posted by UAL123
The following is a link to a map showing storm reports: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/kml/lsr.php?cwa=lsx
Thanks. Looks like they should be ok might have lost power and phones have died. Guess my surprise easter visit is off.

For once it's a good thing Lambert isn't as busy as it used to be. Could have been much worse if this happened 10 yrs. ago
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:15 am

Sorry to interrupt the <redacted> contest but I figured I'd provide an update.

They just announced that as long as AmerenUE can re-establish power then all carriers in Terminal 2 (WN + charters) and Concourse A (DL, UA, CO and US) should be operating tomorrow.

All carriers in Concourse C (AA, F6, 9K and FL) are still a work in progress as to when ops will continue.

Last edited by dstan; Apr 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm Reason: unnecessary color

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.