Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

We are trapped. Plane in tornado (STL Apr 22, 2011; field now reopened)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We are trapped. Plane in tornado (STL Apr 22, 2011; field now reopened)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
My prayers to the folks in STL and the surrounding area. Thank God there are no reports of deaths. What really worried me were the reports of debris and shattered glass. Probably caused a lot of flooding too.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by demkr
My prayers to the folks in STL and the surrounding area. Thank God there are no reports of deaths. What really worried me were the reports of debris and shattered glass. Probably caused a lot of flooding too.

One of the pictures I saw showed water all over the floors in at least one area of the terminal.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:58 pm

Tornado Damage Track and More Info

This was what meteorologists call a "long track" tornado. Map here: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...m-summary.html

More information on the storm and its damage here: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...is-damage.html

AA now has waivers for flights through STL through April 27th.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

made it

thanks to all
made it off plane and out of airport
unbelievable to have a 757 tossed about like a paper airplane
it was scary

i gave 2 updates to kmox
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Am i the only one thinking why the h_ll in this kinda situation would you get on flyer talk to post? Post after sure on your experience..but during..made no sense to me. Nothing anyone can do on here at the time of the event.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Glad to hear your safe
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Per KMOV

Tower back up. East terminal (where WN flys) may be open earlier than main terminal.

ZakkW
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by sambb
thanks to all
made it off plane and out of airport
unbelievable to have a 757 tossed about like a paper airplane
it was scary

i gave 2 updates to kmox

Welcome home; glad to hear you are safe. Watch the rest of the Cards game; we are winning.

ZakkW
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grahampros
Am i the only one thinking why the h_ll in this kinda situation would you get on flyer talk to post? Post after sure on your experience..but during..made no sense to me. Nothing anyone can do on here at the time of the event.
had no cell coverage, but had internet picked up form airport connection... had no choice but to post somewhere... thanks

Now we can get back to discussion of upgrade chances, the menu changes, and how to utilize evips
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
FYI a friend who lives in St. Louis and is picking up someone stranded at STL has the following to report:

"Holy <censored>"
"<bleep>ing warzone"
"Jesus"
"No windows"
"Trees everywhere"
"Metal street signs shredded"
"Cars in parking lot destroyed"
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:09 pm

had no cell coverage, but had internet picked up form airport connection... had no choice but to post somewhere... thanks
Cell tower was knocked down per one of the TV reports.

ZakkW
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, any other status I can get via credit card

Now we can get back to discussion of upgrade chances, the menu changes, and how to utilize evips
Creative solution. Your post was picked up on other internet forums - saw it when I googled the flight number, Lambert, tornado to see what was happening. Was definitely noticed. Glad you are safe.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Question

Yowzer! We're parked in "A" - I believe that's what it is called now. (Formerly called the intermediate lot). Anyone know if there is damage there as well? Our pup is staying a mile or so away at "Happy Tails" while we flew to MSY for the weekend. Very happy to hear they are fine. Next question is if we'll be able to return on Sunday and if our car will still be driveable.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Glad to hear you are OK ^
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
American Airlines has posted a travel change policy for Lambert. Looks like they expect a bit before operations are normal, allowing for flights through April 27 to be changed until May 1.

Joe McBride, spokesman for KCI, says, "AA is busing passengers to St Louis from KCI Airport. Other airlines are sending people to hotels & rental cars. No big airport sleepover!"

Altogether, 13 airlines were diverted to KCI. 3 AA, 3 Delta, 3 Southwest, 3 United and 1 US Air, according to McBride.

As bad as Lambert is, looks like it could have been much, much worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.