Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

We are trapped. Plane in tornado (STL Apr 22, 2011; field now reopened)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We are trapped. Plane in tornado (STL Apr 22, 2011; field now reopened)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
maybe in the morning you will see the devastation - support vehicles overturned, terminal C destroyed, and all the jet bridges gone
it is like a war zone
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Closed until at least Monday per announcement on presser.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by grahampros
Am i the only one thinking why the h_ll in this kinda situation would you get on flyer talk to post? Post after sure on your experience..but during..made no sense to me. Nothing anyone can do on here at the time of the event.

Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Flight Options...

If you are flying between at least now and Sunday, rebook now. Flights cancellation notices have been sent out and availability for replacement flights are already getting scarce. There are no open flights to Springfield, IL for Saturday and Sunday when I called. As of a few minutes ago, you can get to Kansas City (MCI) and Springfield, MO. I did not ask about ORD.

ZakkW

BTW If you want to share a rental car home to STL from MCI, send me a PM. My friend leaves from MCI about 2:30 after arriving in on connecting flight through DFW.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
It was showing Y1 when I booked DFW-SPI tomorrow. Got very lucky. Anywhere else would have been way too far out of the way for me.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sambb
maybe in the morning you will see the devastation - support vehicles overturned, terminal C destroyed, and all the jet bridges gone
it is like a war zone
Really glad you're okay -- yours was one of the scariest posts I've seen on FT. Pictures are starting to come out from the airport and the surrounding area. It looks like a war zone! Terrifying!

It's times like this when I realize just how powerful a tool FT can be. This thread reminds of when Dovster and . . . rats . . . I can't remember the handle of our FTer who lives in Lebanon . . . were both posting updates during the Israeli/Lebanon fighting.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:00 pm

What (local time) did the Tornado occur?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
What (local time) did the Tornado occur?
what is this thing called google?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by pdog02

The airport was closed about 8:55 p.m. For what it's worth, the initial news reports didn't have a time. News events were happening so fast .....that Google wouldn't have told you an answer because until FAA issued a statement with the specific time ....AP, CNN, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, other St. Louis media didn't have a time listed even as of 11 p.m.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Congrats on your safe exit
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Glad that you are safe!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
Originally Posted by Biblioman1
Yowzer! We're parked in "A" - I believe that's what it is called now. (Formerly called the intermediate lot). Anyone know if there is damage there as well? Our pup is staying a mile or so away at "Happy Tails" while we flew to MSY for the weekend. Very happy to hear they are fine. Next question is if we'll be able to return on Sunday and if our car will still be driveable.
I'm not sure about the A lot, but KMOX reported that the B lot suffered a lot of damage. They were not allowing people parked there to retrieve their cars until they could untangle the mess.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:25 pm

If those affected can get AA to offline to DL, there's still ample seats on the Sunday flights to COU via MEM. DL operates flights departing MEM to COU at 9:25A, 2:35P and 7:45P.

COU is the closest to STL and one way car rentals are nutso expensive.

I did some research and a company called MoExpress (573 256 1991) operates a shuttle service for about $45 one way from Columbia proper to STL. They do not, however, pickup directly at COU which means a cab ride from the airport to their offices in Columbia. I just called them and their shuttles are filling fast.

If any other FT'rs end up coming in on the Sunday afternoon DL MEM-COU flight, I'll gladly split a taxi from the COU airport to MoEx's offices.

Last edited by hockeystl; Apr 22, 2011 at 11:33 pm
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beer Me!
I'm not sure about the A lot, but KMOX reported that the B lot suffered a lot of damage. They were not allowing people parked there to retrieve their cars until they could untangle the mess.
FWIW.... My car is currently parked at SkyPark (near the Hampton/Drury corporate offices). I just called and they said they didnt get hit nearly as bad as the airport right across the street.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Wow. That is some real <redacted>.

Last edited by dstan; Apr 23, 2011 at 7:11 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q88

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.