Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

We are trapped. Plane in tornado (STL Apr 22, 2011; field now reopened)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We are trapped. Plane in tornado (STL Apr 22, 2011; field now reopened)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Front page of CNN.com
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/22/mis...pt=T1&iref=BN1

FoxNews.com
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/22...louis-airport/
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by zipadee
The airport was closed about 8:55 p.m. For what it's worth, the initial news reports didn't have a time. News events were happening so fast .....that Google wouldn't have told you an answer because until FAA issued a statement with the specific time ....AP, CNN, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, other St. Louis media didn't have a time listed even as of 11 p.m.
Thanks You explained it very well.

I was due to fly through STL tonight, but my final flight was cancelled and so I was completely rebooked through DFW instead. Was curious and no media that I saw (and I checked many) mentioned a time. Was trying to work out if I would have been there when it hit.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
This one of the more interesting episodes I have seen in the social media, not just FlyerTalk. I'm happy that it sounds like everyone is safe, including members of our own community, and wonder what we can do to support STL.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
This one of the more interesting episodes I have seen in the social media, not just FlyerTalk. I'm happy that it sounds like everyone is safe, including members of our own community, and wonder what we can do to support STL.
Indeed. Was looking at twitter feeds w/ pictures of damage probably before CNN and FAUX even started writing the story.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Thanks You explained it very well.

I was due to fly through STL tonight, but my final flight was cancelled and so I was completely rebooked through DFW instead. Was curious and no media that I saw (and I checked many) mentioned a time. Was trying to work out if I would have been there when it hit.
I know. It's real easy to be sarcastic and say check google ....when the initial media reports didn't have a time. I came home from dinner and was curious as to how quickly I saw the news reports and how old/recent the news was (the closer to a news event the more inaccurate and fluid a situation can be). It took quite a while for me to find a time and find out, yes, I saw the news within minutes of it happening. When you've got a report of a tornado hitting a major airport and adrenaline kicks in, sometimes reporters are doing good to remember to type "Friday night" much less what time Friday night. They eventually get that added to stories, just takes a while.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:14 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in STL.

My niece goes to college at Columbia MO - I was able to get in touch with her. I was truly scared until I heard back from her.

Thank goodness she is okay.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Glad sambb made it off the plane ok, and that there haven't been any reports of fatalities yet. Its a bit sobering to read as I took my first trip to STL last Friday on AS... And a week later this There was a ground hold on approach with a bumpy decent, but nothin like this...
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
I just heard the airport authority is currently considering using Terminal 2 for BOTH Southwest AND American flights once they reopen Lambert. While there are some empty gates on the west end of Terminal 2, I dont see how they can manage the capacity when the TSA lines are already a frequent nightmare (and one reason I never fly WN out of STL).

It's going to be the mother of all nightmares if they actually attempt this. The problem with STL now is they mothballed all those gates in the D concourse so those aren't an option. And the B gates have been converted to office space.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: AA LFT. PLAT
Does anybody know the Reg for AA 699?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:46 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
WOW!!!! I can say that I go to school about 2 hours northeast of Lambert and we dodged a BIG bullet. Also to our friends affected you might want to look into CMI it is about 3 hours from STL. It is better than nothing.....
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
Some more links

Here are some more links with the best footage of the damage at STL that I could find:

An Interview with the Lambert Airport Director and City Chief Engineer:
http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.as...d=915621190001

Raw video of the damage from inside the Main Terminal and Concourse C:
http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.as...d=915632775001

Raw video of the damage surrounding the outside of the airport:

http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.as...d=915584142001
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
I'm sorry but lol @ asking flyer talk for help.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Talking

Originally Posted by Joe Butch
I remember this classic thread from years ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...ng-i-type.html
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:30 am

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
This community may be caustic, challenging, entertaining, and just plain rude sometimes but they are nothing if not exceptionally helpful. Reaching out in an emergency (when you don't have cell service but do have internet access) just doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I disagree; Very resourceful if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.