Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA.com re-design: Monday 11/15/2010

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
It looks like exactly what the email led me to expect: a cosmetic and organizational change for the better without changing the underlying functionality. If AA tried to redo both the back end and the visual appearance at once, I can't imagine it would have been anything but a disaster.

AA.com has looked like it was from the late 90s since the late 90s, hiding the fact that (IMO) it's long been one of the more functional airline web sites (as evidenced by fairly frequent rants about how terrible AA.com is from folks new to AA on this forum). This makes the site look modern without breaking anything (non-cosmetic) that worked yesterday. I'm glad they didn't try to do more.

My impressions:
  1. Significantly easier to read and find things on the front page. ^
  2. List of reservations available in a tab on the main page that doesn't require loading a separate page (ie displays instantly when I click the tab). ^
  3. Feels like much of the front page is taken up with flashy ads (even more so than before).
  4. "Flight status" labeled as such, instead of the less-intuitive "Gates & Times".

These are all minor things, but it now feels like someone has actually sat down and designed the layout of the web site instead of just thrown together every good idea they could think of without fitting the pieces together in an intuitive fashion.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Reprint boarding pass option is gone (or I can't find it)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because of this redesign, I found new ways to earn AA miles!

Under Book Travel, there's a tab for Activities. I can book Danube cruises in Budapest and earn AA miles (beyond just using my AA credit card)? Wow, I never knew that. It was probably hidden somewhere before, but Activities being a tab just like Hotels and Cars made it easy for me to find it only now.

Booking Hotels and Cars on aa.com is uninteresting to me because there are other ways to earn AA miles with those by directly booking those with my favoirte hotel programs and car rental programs. But Activities, I can't earn miles by booking those directly elsewhere that I know of, so to me this does seem useful (from the miles-earning perspective) even though it may have nothing to do directly with booking a flight.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ashill
It looks like exactly what the email led me to expect: a cosmetic and organizational change for the better without changing the underlying functionality. If AA tried to redo both the back end and the visual appearance at once, I can't imagine it would have been anything but a disaster.

AA.com has looked like it was from the late 90s since the late 90s, hiding the fact that (IMO) it's long been one of the more functional airline web sites (as evidenced by fairly frequent rants about how terrible AA.com is from folks new to AA on this forum). This makes the site look modern without breaking anything (non-cosmetic) that worked yesterday. I'm glad they didn't try to do more.

My impressions:
  1. Significantly easier to read and find things on the front page. ^
  2. List of reservations available in a tab on the main page that doesn't require loading a separate page (ie displays instantly when I click the tab). ^
  3. Feels like much of the front page is taken up with flashy ads (even more so than before).
  4. "Flight status" labeled as such, instead of the less-intuitive "Gates & Times".

These are all minor things, but it now feels like someone has actually sat down and designed the layout of the web site instead of just thrown together every good idea they could think of without fitting the pieces together in an intuitive fashion.
I agree, it makes things that I most access more available (e.g. my reservations. Looking forward to giving the site a real workout.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Haven't had enough time to review all of the new site, but basically they replaced the left hand NAV with a header NAV. Wow!(not really)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Also it seems to actually remember my aadvantage number!!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:20 am

My beefs.... although nothing has changed from the past.

Once you navigate away from the home page, I wish that when you click on the Reservations tab, I wish that My Reservations would be listed first even though it isn't alphabetical, same with AAdvantage. Account Details should be first IMO.

It seems odd to see elements from the old page mixed within the new format. I guess they didn't want to change it up too much.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: A few
is it just me or does it not work in firefox at all?

works fine on safari

nothing major to write home about
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Originally Posted by barelyelite

No meaningful improvements whatsoever. Once you get passed the homepage, it's completely unchanged. Couldn't even can the auto-remember-me right.

There's a tab on the front page for upcoming reservations, which is a good idea, but you still need to go through the ridiculous sign-in process, which renders it worthless. In fact, now you have to go to the log-in tab to log in, which adds another step to the process.
Disappointed. Requires additional clicks to log in only to get to same old screens. Looks like they made their ads bigger at the bottom. Not impressed.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
It appears to be working very slowly. Or is it me?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
is it just me or does it not work in firefox at all?
With one exception, I can see everything fine in Firefox - on the home page, left half, the words and radio button for "One Way" are superimposed on the words and radio button "Round Trip + Hotel". I'm also using Firefox 3.6.12. The overlap does not occur on Chrome or IE.

One good thing is that, when you are changing options in the Round Trip selection screen (for example, to try a different departure date to see if the far drops), it doesn't seem to always revert to "Schedule" - for my few tests just now, it seemed to stay where I wanted it to stay selected, on "Price".

As for the "remember me" selection on the log in screen, I'm pleased that they did not change it. Any kind of log in screen to a secure account should always default to not remembering - airline sites especially, as they are more likely to be accessed on public computers more often than other kinds of sites. For example, the log in page for my primary financial institution (credit union) doesn't even offer a "Remember Me" option, and that's a good thing.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
As for the "remember me" selection on the log in screen, I'm pleased that they did not change it. Any kind of log in screen to a secure account should always default to not remembering - airline sites especially, as they are more likely to be accessed on public computers more often than other kinds of sites. For example, the log in page for my primary financial institution (credit union) doesn't even offer a "Remember Me" option, and that's a good thing.
You're right, Remember Me should never initially default to yes. But once you've opted for Remember Me, when you return and it has remembered your ID, it should also remember the Remember option.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
it looks different but i'll need to play around with it to determine if different is also better (for me).......do like the tabs though....
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Still can't book EVIPS on-line. Can't book a OW award.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Is it just me? I find that the new site is "freezing" in IE every so often

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.