Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by beachfan
On the other hand, BA just increased their earn rate on deep discount from 25% to 100%. Whose getting the short end of the stick here.

Look at it another way - AAdvantage members have been getting a better deal than BAEC members for some considerable time. The playing field has just been leveled, though not in areas like SWU's - BAEC still lag behind AAdvantage members.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
YVR-LHR just went up by 10x in fees/costs

Crud!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bernardd
I think you're looking at this through the wrong eyes. This is not a merger and true equality for two FF schemes -
On that we can clearly agree.

What I am seeing is significant enhancements for BAEC members both on their own airline and on ours, but for me at least, no improvements at all and a loss on award redemptions.

Very hard to see this with anything other than a glass half-empty perspective right now.

If this is the best AA could manage I'm not surprised they have so much trouble with negotiations elsewhere as well ...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Jeffers8
I haven't seen anyone point out an obvious benefit for elites.

"Effective October 1, 2010, AAdvantage Executive Platinum members and AAdvantage Platinum members will earn elite status bonus miles for British Airways flights."

Things are not all bad..........
I realize that not all the changes are great, but isn't this one the bottom line? For the most part, we can now fly BA and get AA miles/points as though we're flying AA. The inability to do that was a major drawback of the AA program.

And while the lack of SWU redemption on BA is a drag, the point requirements to go from WT to WT+ and from WT+ to CW aren't bad--12.5K each way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we much better off in terms of travel options today than we were yesterday?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage 1M/Exec Plat
I for one, am excited!

Not the least of my reasons being that I am scheduled to fly on BA on Oct 14 from SJU-LHR-SIN and back, and I wasn't too happy about only getting 25% of the miles for such a long trip. Just in the nick of time!

Also, the addition of Iberia is great for me, as from SJU there is a direct flight to MAD which is a terrific option for connections into Europe without having to go through LHR.

Yay!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
And while the lack of SWU redemption on BA is a drag, the point requirements to go from WT to WT+ and from WT+ to CW aren't bad--12.5K each way.
You may have missed the requirement to be on full fare economy to do it and without the ability to double upgrade you can't get to CW from an economy fare of any type at all, you'd have to buy WT+
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:48 am

I really hope something like the WSJ picks up what a bait and switch this is regarding AA miles on BA. Something like:

"You can now use those hard-earned AA miles for BA flights, but with it comes a hefty price. Unlike before, you're now responsible for fuel surcharges of $$hundreds if you want to redeem your miles on BA flights anywhere in the world."
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mark_T
On that we can clearly agree.

What I am seeing is significant enhancements for BAEC members both on their own airline and on ours, but for me at least, no improvements at all and a loss on award redemptions.

Very hard to see this with anything other than a glass half-empty perspective right now.

If this is the best AA could manage I'm not surprised they have so much trouble with negotiations elsewhere as well ...
I have same sentiment. AAdvantage members get the short end of it in the award redemption department.

The only "bright" side is now deep discount fares on BA earn 100% miles. This may help some folks especially those in the West Coast that prefer the BA direct flights.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by crewfox
Also, the addition of Iberia is great for me, as from SJU there is a direct flight to MAD which is a terrific option for connections into Europe without having to go through LHR.
How is this different from before? Iberia has always been an option for mileage earning/burning. The significant change is regarding AA/BA.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by awpeters
How is this different from before? Iberia has always been an option for mileage earning/burning. The significant change is regarding AA/BA.
Iberia also now gives 100% as opposed to 30% before.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Is AA now adding the fuel charge to it's flights as well as BA's?

I didn't see that in the announcement but am trying to put together an award trip next summer RDU-DFW-LHR out in F and back LHR-MIA-RDU also in F. Taxes and fees are coming up at $250 per passenger. I thought the max on AA was $182.50? Where does this come from??
ORD-LHR is 150 as opposed to the same flight with BA miles at 373, so I don't think AA is adding fees. That would seriously affect my earning with AA.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:05 am

US-India/Middle East -- not including AA ORD-DEL or using 9W, IT, GF, LY, RJ.

Bad:
via LHR using BA
Y = 45K + $$ YQ
J = 67.5K + $$$ YQ
F = 90K + $$$$ YQ

Better:
via HKG using CX
Y = 35K + 22.5 = 57.5K
J = 55K + 30 = 85K
F = 67.5 + 45 = 112.5

Best:
via NRT using JL and then possibly CX via HKG (I do not know the details of Asia Zone 1 to India routing rules)
Y = 25K + 22.5 = 47.5K
J = 50K + 30 = 80K
F = 62.5 + 45 = 107.5

Depending on what $$$$ and $$$ YQs are, if you value 17.5K AA less than $$$$ YQ, or 12.5K less than $$$ YQ, then you're better off with a TPAC routing in F and J, respectively. You also get a free stop anywhere in Asia Zone 1.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:06 am

Still to come: higher fares

[deleted]

Last edited by wrose99; May 12, 2011 at 9:41 pm
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_T
You may have missed the requirement to be on full fare economy to do it and without the ability to double upgrade you can't get to CW from an economy fare of any type at all, you'd have to buy WT+
Right you are. Thanks for reminding me.

It also seems that the full fare requirement also applies to upgrading from WT+ to CW. At least that's what the language in the FAQs indicates. And the AA CSR who just tried to find upgrade availability for me seemed to encounter that requirement--he was given only one pricing option, the full fare one, when searching for upgrades. (My only small caveat here is that he was figuring all of this out as he was going along, so while he seemed quite competent I guess there's a small chance he missed something.)

I was under the impression that upgrading from WT+ to CW using BA miles could be done using a discounted WT+ ticket. If I'm right about that, then AA members are at a significant disadvantage in this regard.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrose99
Don't forget that today's announcements were supposed to be the "enhancements" that would make you so happy and make the higher-fares pill easier to swallow. The real purpose of the ATI, is to increase profit for both airlines (not necessarily revenue). That is their obligation to their shareholders so I don't blame them for pursuing it.

It is an economic fact, not a theory, just as surely as evolution is a fact, not a theory, that when two major competitors in a market are allowed to collude on price and quantity offered, the result will be higher prices and reduced quantity. Since these two companies have other competitors in their market(s), the magnitude of the price increases will not be as high as it would have been if the two companies had a higher joint market share. But make no mistake about it, you will be paying for ATI via higher fares.

Whether that is a good or bad thing depends on your point of view. One could argue that AA cannot survive unless it can get higher fares. On the other hand if your goal is to fly cheaply to Europe on AA, you will find that a lot harder to do. Also, AA and BA need to channel as much of their pooled traffic as possible through LHR, where their joint pricing power will be strongly. If your goal is to fly direct to Europe on AA without connecting via LHR I believe that will be harder and harder to do in the coming years.
True, ever since open skies, I am not seeing lower fares to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.