Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The BA-BA connection option will be an improvement -- given the transfer set-up -- at least in terms of regular paid tickets. For AA award tickets, not sure 25-35 minutes is always worth c. $100-160 (or double or more) each way.

Originally Posted by jiacono
Upgrades are a joke.
For those traveling on negotiated, highly-discounted (and/or heavily-rebated) Y and/or B fares -- whether for business or leisure may or may not matter in ordinary practice depending on the employer -- the upgrade structure is anything but a joke.

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Exactly right.

It's funny how a few days people were speculating that the only thing this joint venture accomplished is that all of AA's flights to LHR would be empty. Now i'd venture to say the exact opposite. AA's flights to LHR will have all the AA elites plus the BA elites who now get to come to the US without paying $300 for a coach "award" ticket and even more for a premium class award ticket.
I would keep the award charts handy -- if only to compare -- as it's just a matter of time until the award ticket prices (in miles) increase, including for reasons related to what you note above (for as long as BA doesn't charge the same fuel surcharges for AA-operated flights as BA-operated ones).

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 1, 2010 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:53 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I was refering to how AA elites were earning elite bonuses (i.e. good toward award ticket redemptions) for BA flights that would credit to AA accounts.
Gotcha. I hadn't thought that EQM were ever allowed on the TATL.

Since I can't use SWUs on the BA or IB flights, this change makes no difference to me. It won't change my flying patterns since, while I'd like flying BA TATL, I'm not doing it in coach. Even if they do ever allow SWUs cross-metal, the likelihood that it will be allowed from Coach->Business on the cheapest fares (as is allowed on AA) is slim, IMO.

I think it's cool that they did this so that people who want it can use it. No real negatives from my viewpoint...just no real positives.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp
Even if they do ever allow SWUs cross-metal, the likelihood that it will be allowed from Coach->Business on the cheapest fares (as is allowed on AA) is slim, IMO.
I think we can safely rank that as zero given you can't even do it with miles, the best you'll get will be from economy (probably full fare) to premium economy or from premium economy to business.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Upgrades are a joke.

However for your average flying-economy-to-Europe PLT type this is not so bad. Unless you are going somewhere major, you connect. Connecting AA-BA in LHR is something I do many times a year. Now, we have the option of BA-BA with exactly the same earning and elite bonus. Differences would be:

BA-BA vs AA-BA
+ Better lounges BA in the US
+ NO BUS AT LHR!!!
+ Free booze on board
+ Shorter MCT at LHR (60 vs 120 minutes)
- Pay for exit row seat

So, other than the exit row seat issue, why take AA as a PLAT? Obviously Golds lose the elite bonus, and EXPLATS loose the ability to use EVIPS but PLATS don't really seem to lose anything.
Good point. For people not using a SWU (Gold's/Plats/EXP's that ran out of them), a paid coach TATL ticket would be better on BA than AA. For mileage redemption's though, you'd probably still have a preference for AA unless you want to pay ~$300+ for the benefits you mentioned.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by rfrost
See the 3d paragraph of text above the table. It also restricts AA mileage-based UGs from J to F to full fare tickets, but that one is not really an issue for me.
And it restricts upgrades from WT+ -> Business using AA miles to 'W' bucket fares which are painfully expensive for what they offer. In many cases you could probably buy AA Business Class with some restrictions for less dollars.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
Upgrades are a joke.

However for your average flying-economy-to-Europe PLT type this is not so bad. Unless you are going somewhere major, you connect. Connecting AA-BA in LHR is something I do many times a year. Now, we have the option of BA-BA with exactly the same earning and elite bonus. Differences would be:

BA-BA vs AA-BA
+ Better lounges BA in the US
+ NO BUS AT LHR!!!
+ Free booze on board
+ Shorter MCT at LHR (60 vs 120 minutes)
- Pay for exit row seat

So, other than the exit row seat issue, why take AA as a PLAT? Obviously Golds lose the elite bonus, and EXPLATS loose the ability to use EVIPS but PLATS don't really seem to lose anything.

Upside also for an EXP who has run out of SWUs - as seems to be the case for me at the end of the year...

For what it is worth, I also like the ability to earn TATL for the WT+. It is no biz, but beats WT/Y in my book when I know I have no chance for an upgrade.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Deleted - post I responded to was correct.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by demkr
American to its top tier customers: Go ahead, switch to Star Alliance.
Originally Posted by LH/LX
BA has one of the highest fuel surcharges and taxes in the industry and connecting via London is very costly against connecting via FRA or ZRH or CDG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've gained nothing from this AA change -- rather AA's change is stripping value out of the AA miles I've accumulated (and this is just for starters in terms of devaluation).
As an AA elite, the only thing I've gained is mileage earning on the rare TATL BA flight I take. Maybe there will be a good BA MR, but i doubt it--their fares are usually sky high.

More to the point, this comes as a HUGE devaluation to AA miles for redemption. US to Europe, Africa, and much of the Middle East just got extremely expensive in premium cabins, as BA is a huge partner for those regions. Even when taking AA TATL, you're adding on $500/ticket for F.

In my eyes as an AA flier, I just lost a major redemption partner--perhaps the biggest. BA's grotesque fuel surcharges price me out.

I'm finally going for EXP this year, mainly for mileage redemption benefits and opportunities, and now I'm second guessing that decision. And just as I'm planning Africa and India trips.

I never minded the Canada/Mexico workaround. I strongly prefer the old rules.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Glad I'm not accumulating much with 1W:

Q. Why is there now a fuel surcharge on AAdvantage award tickets?
A. British Airways assesses a fuel surcharge for travel on British Airways for all customers, including customers traveling on British Airways on AAdvantage award tickets.
When this keeps spreading I will get out FFPs, for good.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awpeters
And just as I'm planning Africa and India trips.

At least for India, there are other options like 9W, IT, RJ, GF.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Two quick questions:

1) We have already booked award tickets for next July using AA miles to fly BA. Are they going to retroactively charge us the fuel surcharge?

2) Why is the fuel surcharge more for people sitting up front. Do they weigh more?

Mike
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by mikeef
1) We have already booked award tickets for next July using AA miles to fly BA. Are they going to retroactively charge us the fuel surcharge?

2) Why is the fuel surcharge more for people sitting up front. Do they weigh more?

Mike
1) No

2) You are using more space on the plane so you pay a higher proportion of the fuel (if it was all economy there would be more people on the plane paying the smaller surcharge instead). Of course this doesn't make it right, it should be built into the ticket price and not charged on redemption tickets, which is why I will never redeem on BA again.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by androobe
Of course this doesn't make it right, it should be built into the ticket price and not charged on redemption tickets, which is why I will never redeem on BA again.
How was AA able to avoid FS so far? Again one step forward two backward for AA first with stopovers and one-ways now with TATL BA and FS.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
The big positives for me are you now earn 100% miles flying BA cheap Y tickets plus bonus miles. Huge negative is free tickets involving BA with now cost alot of money. With BA you can upgrade from discount premium economy using BA miles and you cannot with AA miles. Good thing I still have alot of BA miles.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
Because it has nothing to do with fuel costs but is a way to put lipstick on the pig that it is (scamming individuals, corporations and travel agents).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.