Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd
It's actually showing A6 but when I tried your suggestion through the BA website, nothing showed up for the flight I'm booked on.
Because A inventory on an AA-marketed BA-operated code share is only a revenue class.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Tried finding answer, but couldn't.

Am I able to upgrade someone else via SWU if they booked flight via BA, but flying on AA metal?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by funtrainsf

Am I able to upgrade someone else via SWU if they booked flight via BA, but flying on AA metal?
I just did a Google search for:
Code:
systemwide upgrades site:aa.com
The first result took me to this page on Systemwide Upgrades, where I found:

Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or American Eagle flights offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel. Not valid on codeshare flights.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Thanks Microwave. I did notice the same, but was unsure what "marketed" meant as far as this. So you are saying in this case the flight is "marketed" by BA, but "operated" by AA so it won't work?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thanks Microwave. I did notice the same, but was unsure what "marketed" meant as far as this. So you are saying in this case the flight is "marketed" by BA, but "operated" by AA so it won't work?
The term "marketed" refers to the carrier whose code appears on the ticket for that flight segment. So a BA codeshare flight operated by AA (LHR-RDU, for example) is marketed by BA but operated by AA. Furthermore, as this flight is indeed a codeshare, it won't work (see the part where SWUs are "not valid on codeshare flights").
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:46 am

Thank you for the clarification. I'm on board and have learned terminology from you. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

It shouldn't matter if it is you or someone else since you are free to use your SWU for anyone you wish. If the flight is booked as an AA code then it shouldn't matter if the ticket was issued by BA as AA should be able to reissue it after applying the SWU. If the flight is booked as a BA code then I don't know if you can apply the SWU or not.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
It shouldn't matter if it is you or someone else since you are free to use your SWU for anyone you wish. If the flight is booked as an AA code then it shouldn't matter if the ticket was issued by BA as AA should be able to reissue it after applying the SWU. If the flight is booked as a BA code then I don't know if you can apply the SWU or not.
Unfortunately, it is booked as a BA code.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Unfortunately, it is booked as a BA code.
The AA SWU page does say it applies only to flights operated and marketed by AA, so that would exclude flights booked as a BA code.

The AA upgrade award page says you can upgrade AA, IB, or BA flights using AA miles regardless of which carrier's code was booked to book, so you should be able to upgrade with miles even if you can't use a SWU.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anabolism
The AA SWU page does say it applies only to flights operated and marketed by AA, so that would exclude flights booked as a BA code.

The AA upgrade award page says you can upgrade AA, IB, or BA flights using AA miles regardless of which carrier's code was booked to book, so you should be able to upgrade with miles even if you can't use a SWU.
Note however , that only the more expensive fair bases are upgradeable using miles plus the ticket has to have been booked through AA

If the person booked through BA, it will not be upgradeable
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:03 am

I guess this is the appropriate thread to post on the YQ ''fuel surcharge'' ripoff at BA.

The excuses and justification for even having a YQ are quickly evaporating. A good example is comparing BA with the main domestic rival, EasyJet. EasyJet has never had fuel surcharges, and has rather consistently had better profitability than BA, and, at least before the IB merger, a higher market capitalization. EasyJet just announced a record profit. All without fuel surcharges. This exposes the lie that charging for fuel seperately is somehow necessary to corporate profits.

BA needs to achieve the level of fairness and honesty of EasyJet and put the fuel costs back where they belong - in the fare, not as a seperate YQ,

Fuel is not an optional extra but a basic part of the service being sold. Planes will not fly without it. Pricing it seperately on the tax line is just dishonest.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Carolinian
A good example is comparing BA with the main domestic rival, EasyJet. EasyJet has never had fuel surcharges, and has rather consistently had better profitability than BA ...
Yes, indeed: BA's and EZY's route networks and passenger flows are so comparable, aren't they?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carolinian
I guess this is the appropriate thread to post on the YQ ''fuel surcharge'' ripoff at BA.
Since your post is about revenue fares, the BA forum is the appropriate place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.