FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1132113-earning-redeeming-aa-miles-upgrading-ba-ib-ba-fuel-surcharge-oct-1-2010-a.html)

i_fly_AA Oct 1, 2010 12:36 am

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

The following AA.com links are now live (email received around noon ET):

General Announcement and FAQ:
http://www.aa.com/nowmore
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-faqs.jsp

AA Mileage Earning on BA/IB:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-earn-more-miles.jsp
(100% accrual in Discount Economy on all BA and TATL IB)

(BA/IB Codeshares Operated by oneworld Carriers and Affiliates are Eligible)
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...ishAirways.jsp
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...nes/iberia.jsp

AA Elite Status Bonus on BA/IB:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...atus/bonus.jsp
(All elites on IB; PLT & EXP only on BA)

AA Award Travel on BA/IB:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...servations.jsp
(BA TATL flights now eligible for AAdvantage All-Partner Awards)

AA Upgrades on BA/IB:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...rades/main.jsp
(Full Fare Y–>Premium Economy, Premium Economy–>J, J–>F)

AA Upgrades General Info:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp
(all AA Upgrades are now subject to a $20 processing fee)

AA Lounge Access:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...worldCustomers
(EXPs now have LHR T3 Arrivals Lounge access when arriving on an AA flight)

BA Fuel Surcharge Rates for AAdvantage Awards on BA Metal
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb

Originally Posted by AA Email
NOW. MORE. For transatlantic travelers

American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia are now making the oneworld® Alliance even better by bringing you more flights, more convenience, and more opportunities to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles for your transatlantic travel. There has never been a better time to be an AAdvantage® member. Beginning October 1, 2010, you will be able to enjoy more rewards and privileges across all three airlines.

• More Ways to Earn Miles
AAdvantage members can now earn AAdvantage miles on all American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights.* And the miles earned for flights on all three airlines count toward elite status qualification.

In addition, when you fly discount economy fares on any British Airways flight or any Iberia transatlantic flight, you will now earn 100% of the base miles flown — just like when you fly on American.

Plus, AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum® members will now earn their elite status bonus miles for all of their travel on British Airways. View the details on more ways to earn miles.

• More Flights For Award Travel
Your miles can be redeemed for all flights on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia.* The three carriers' combined route network serves over 400 destinations in more than 100 countries, to give you more convenient schedule options when you are ready to claim a well-deserved award.

• More Premium Privileges
The new, expanded relationship will also bring you more opportunities to use miles to upgrade, and continue the reciprocal lounge access for transatlantic customers flying in First Class or Business Class, as well as oneworld Emerald® and oneworld Sapphire® status members. For complete details about upgrades and lounge privileges go to www.aa.com/upgrade and www.aa.com/loungeaccess.

As an AAdvantage member, over time you will see more benefits as we continue to work with oneworld airlines to collectively enhance our product offerings and network.

For more details, visit www.aa.com/nowmore.

Sincerely,

Maya Leibman
President
AAdvantage Loyalty Program

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has just now been posted by AA:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-faqs.jsp

Earning Miles
Q. I flew on British Airways between the U.S. and the U.K. before October 1, 2010. Will I earn AAdvantage miles for that flight?
A. No. Flights flown prior to October 1 are not eligible for mileage accrual on British Airways flights between the U.S. and the U.K.

Q. I purchased a ticket for travel on British Airways between the U.S. and the U.K. in July and my flight is after October 1. Will I earn miles for that flight?
A. Yes. British Airways flights between the U.S. and the U.K. flown on/after October 1, 2010 earn AAdvantage miles.

Q. I traveled out before October 1 and returned after October and both flights were on British Airways flights between the U.S. and the U.K. Will I earn miles for both flights?
A. You will earn miles for your return flight. British Airways flights between the U.S. and the U.K. on/after October 1, 2010 will earn miles.

Q. I traveled between the U.S. and Europe on Iberia in discount economy class. Will I receive 100% miles?
A. You will receive 100% of base miles flown on Iberia transatlantic flight between the U.S./Puerto Rico/Mexico and Spain segment(s) flown on/after October 1, 2010 and for all other Iberia flight segments you will earn 30% of base miles flown.

Q. If I travel in discount economy class on an American Airlines codeshare flight operated by Iberia will I earn 100% of base miles flown or 30% of base miles flown?
A. All flights on American Airlines marketing flights, regardless of the operating airline, earn 100% of base miles flown for eligible discount economy fares.

Q. I'm an elite status member – will I earn my elite status bonus on British Airways and Iberia flights?
A. Elite status members will continue to earn elite status bonus miles for American Airlines and Iberia flights and effective October 1, 2010, AAdvantage Executive Platinum members and AAdvantage Platinum members will earn elite status bonus miles for British Airways flights.

Q. Why don't AAdvantage Gold members earn elite status bonus miles for British Airways flights?
A. Not all carriers that offer elite qualifying miles also offer elite status bonus miles, and prior to our enhanced agreement AAdvantage members did not earn any elite status bonus miles for their British Airways travel. Effective October 1, 2010 with more alignment between the frequent flyer programs of American, British Airways and Iberia, elite status bonus miles will be a benefit earned by AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Executive Platinum members for British Airways travel, just as it is for the elite status members of their own frequent flyer program. However, since their frequent flyer program only features two elite levels, this benefit will not apply to the third elite level in the AAdvantage program, namely AAdvantage Gold.

Using Miles
Q. Why is there now a fuel surcharge on AAdvantage award tickets?
A. British Airways assesses a fuel surcharge for travel on British Airways for all customers, including customers traveling on British Airways on AAdvantage award tickets.

Q. Will I have to pay a fuel surcharge when I use my miles for travel on American Airlines?
A. No. American Airlines does not assess a fuel surcharge to passengers traveling on American on AAdvantage award tickets.

Q. How much is the British Airways fuel surcharge?
A. The British Airways fuel surcharge varies by origin, destination, cabin etc. At the time of booking the reservation agent will be able to provide you with the amount of the fuel surcharge that applies to the itinerary you've chosen.

Q. Is the British Airways fuel surcharge refundable if I cancel my plans?
A. Yes, the British Airways fuel surcharge is refundable.

Q. Why are there additional governmental taxes on my award ticket when I travel on British Airways?
A. The U.S. government has determined that collection of a fuel surcharge makes award tickets subject to certain taxes.

Q. I have an award ticket for travel on American Airlines and now I'd like to change to travel on British Airways or Iberia. May I change?
A. Yes, you can make a change to travel on another AAdvantage participating carrier on an award ticket, but a change charge will apply, plus any difference in taxes, fees and surcharges.

Q. Can I redeem miles to travel in British Airways premium economy cabin?
A. Miles can be used to travel in Economy, Business and First class on British Airways but not for the premium economy cabin.

Upgrades
Q. Can I use miles to upgrade any reservation through my travel agency or corporate travel desk?
A. At this time, you may use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade British Airways and Iberia flights as well as American Airlines codeshare flights operated by British Airways and Iberia which have been booked directly with American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com).

However, British Airways and Iberia flights booked through other sources are not currently eligible for an upgrade using miles because of technical issues regarding systems compatibility. We hope that the inconvenience is more than offset by the opportunity to use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on British Airways and Iberia flights. We are working to expand upgrade opportunities to include to reservations booked through travel agencies and corporate travel desks. As always, you may use miles to upgrade American Airlines marketed and operated flights when booked through a travel agency or corporate travel desk.

Q. Can I use my miles to upgrade from discount Economy fares?
A. You can use miles and a co-pay to upgrade from discount Economy fares on American Airlines flights. However, upgrades on itineraries that include British Airways and Iberia are valid from full fares only.

Q. Why is my upgrade on British Airways valid from Economy to Premium Economy and not to Business?
A. Mileage upgrades are valid for a one cabin upgrade. On those flights where British Airways offers a Premium Economy cabin, upgrades from Economy are valid to Premium Economy. On flights where British Airways does not offer a Premium Economy cabin, the upgrade is valid from Economy to Business.

Q. What is "Premium Economy"?
A. Premium Economy is a separate class of seating and service that differs from standard Economy. Premium Economy is found mostly on international flights and, compared to standard Economy may offer additional legroom and amenities.

Q. When will a "From Economy to Premium Economy" vs. a "From Economy to Business" upgrade apply?
A. The award needed is based on the itinerary and the cabin configuration of the flights you wish to upgrade. If the longest flight segment you wish to upgrade has a Premium Economy cabin, the "From Economy to Premium Economy upgrade applies.

Q. Can I waitlist an upgrade using the AAdvantage Participating Airline upgrade award?
A. No. Flights cannot be waitlisted when using the AAdvantage Participating Airline upgrade.

Q. Is this new upgrade valid only on transatlantic routes?
A. The new upgrade is valid on any flight systemwide on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia (except Iberia flights to/from Cuba due to government restrictions.)

Q. Why can't I upgrade on Iberia from Business to First?
A. Iberia offers Economy and Business class only. They do not offer a First Class cabin.

Q. Which AAdvantage participating airlines can I upgrade?
A. At this time, AAdvantage Participating Airlines Upgrade awards are valid on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and codeshare flights both marketed an operated by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia.

Q. Can I upgrade on other AA codeshare flights operated by other airlines?
A. To be eligible to upgrade, the flight must be both marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia. Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible to upgrade.

Q. Can I use my systemwide upgrades on British Airways and Iberia?
A. No, systemwide upgrades may only be used on American Airlines marketed and operated flights.

demkr Oct 1, 2010 12:45 am

A. You can use miles and a co-pay to upgrade from discount Economy fares on American Airlines flights. However, upgrades on itineraries that include British Airways and Iberia are valid from full fares only.

ARG!!!

Full fare Y on BA to upgrade to Premium Economy? REALLY???

. Can I use my systemwide upgrades on British Airways and Iberia?
A. No, systemwide upgrades may only be used on American Airlines marketed and operated flights.

DOUBLE ARG. This totally stinks!! Cannot use eVIP on BA or IB...and cannot upgrade on BA or IB unless you buy full fare Y ticket.

Blueboys999 Oct 1, 2010 12:54 am

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 14865286)

ARG!!!

DOUBLE ARG. This totally stinks!! Cannot use eVIP on BA or IB...and cannot upgrade on BA or IB unless you buy full fare Y ticket.

I'm struggling to see much in this that is good news for AAdvantage members wanting to utilise their miles on BA. Presumably the only way to upgrade to J is to buy full fare Premium Economy. :td:

I can already hear BAEC members breathing huge sighs of relief at this announcement.

sukn Oct 1, 2010 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 (Post 14865317)
I'm struggling to see much in this that is good news for AAdvantage members wanting to utilise their miles on BA. Presumably the only way to upgrade to J is to buy full fare Premium Economy. :td:

I can already hear BAEC members breathing huge sighs of relief at this announcement.

Indeed!

Using Miles
Q. Why is there now a fuel surcharge on AAdvantage award tickets?
A. British Airways assesses a fuel surcharge for travel on British Airways for all customers, including customers traveling on British Airways on AAdvantage award tickets.

Q. Will I have to pay a fuel surcharge when I use my miles for travel on American Airlines?
A. No. American Airlines does not assess a fuel surcharge to passengers traveling on American on AAdvantage award tickets.

Q. How much is the British Airways fuel surcharge?
A. The British Airways fuel surcharge varies by origin, destination, cabin etc. At the time of booking the reservation agent will be able to provide you with the amount of the fuel surcharge that applies to the itinerary you've chosen..

demkr Oct 1, 2010 1:01 am

American to its top tier customers: Go ahead, switch to Star Alliance.

Andriyko Oct 1, 2010 1:09 am

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 14865286)

ARG!!!

Sorry but I am relieved that pretty much nothing's changed. Less competition for award seats as AA members will have to continue flying AA to use their instruments or pay WTP fares to upgrade to biz - the same way we do.

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 14865347)
American to its top tier customers: Go ahead, switch to Star Alliance.

Why so dramatic? It was not a secret how BAEC works - that upgrades are available only from full fare and that upgrades are only one cabin up. Was anyone expecting that BA would change that specifically for AA FFs? You now have access to the same award seats as we do, and you must pay teh same price. I think it is fare. We were not granted unlimited free upgrades on domestic routes, for example, so we won't "steal" those seats from you.:)

NA-Flyer Oct 1, 2010 1:26 am

BA has one of the highest fuel surcharges and taxes in the industry and connecting via London is very costly against connecting via FRA or ZRH or CDG :td:

Hyperacusis Oct 1, 2010 1:27 am

I am curious to see if AA will allow upgrades from any WTP fares to CW, as BA does. This would make it a lot more worth it.

My biggest gripe with this whole situation is that now YQ applies to BA award tickets issued using AA miles. This was never the case before, and was a good way to get around the YQ issue with BA award tickets.

GentleGiant Oct 1, 2010 1:28 am

So how does one book tickets on BA using AA miles - can this be done online at all?

NA-Flyer Oct 1, 2010 1:30 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 14865453)
So how does one book tickets on BA using AA miles - can this be done online at all?

Not yet. You should call AAadvantage desk for the time being.

tom911 Oct 1, 2010 1:35 am

Are these fuel surcharges from a BA forum thread in May still correct? 94.5 pounds would be over $US150. That's each way? Guess I won't be redeeming award tickets anytime soon SFO-LHR on BA metal. Hello, AA nonstops from LAX, DFW, ORD or JFK.

Originally Posted by shark67 (Post 13945075)
12 May, 2010

British Airways will increase the Fuel Surcharge on longhaul tickets purchased Europe on or after 14 May 2010.

The changes will mean:

The surcharge in World Traveller under 9 hours increase by €3 from €66.50 to €69.50 per flight; and over nine hours increase by €5 from €89.50 to €94.50 per flight

The surcharge in World Traveller Plus under 9 hours increase by €3 from €83.50 to €86.50 per flight; and over nine hours increase by €5 from €114to €119 per flight

The surcharge in Club World and First under 9 hours increase by €3 from €103 to €106 per flight; and over nine hours increase by €5 from €132 to €137 per flight

The amounts are stated in € and the CHF equivalent should quote in your GDS from Friday 14 May 2010.

Unfortunately, we have little choice but to pass on some of this extra cost to our customers.

oiRRio Oct 1, 2010 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko (Post 14865377)
Why so dramatic? It was not a secret how BAEC works - that upgrades are available only from full fare and that upgrades are only one cabin up. Was anyone expecting that BA would change that specifically for AA FFs? You now have access to the same award seats as we do, and you must pay teh same price. I think it is fare. We were not granted unlimited free upgrades on domestic routes, for example, so we won't "steal" those seats from you.:)

Indeed I will now get my EXP elite bonus on BA flights. More importantly I can now redeem on BA flights from the UK-US. Although the latter point isn't clear from the FAQ it states it here. http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...n.jsp?from=Nav

The downside is I will have to pay a fuel surcharge on those AAward segements I book on BA. I think a few extra quid shouldn't be an issue if I choose to fly in BA J or F using miles.

Wrt the upgrades I prefer AA J to BA J so I'm not overly concerned about it particularly when I can upgrade from any fare class on AA. Not really bothered whether it's full fare economy or premium economy that's required on BA for AAdvantage members and given that's what they require from BAEC members then it's only fair.

Overall I'm happy. ^

777lover Oct 1, 2010 1:41 am

Oh this sucks that we have to pay fuel surcharges on BA now.

tom911 Oct 1, 2010 1:51 am

Originally Posted by oiRRio (Post 14865488)
The downside is I will have to pay a fuel surcharge on those AAward segements I book on BA. I think a few extra quid shouldn't be an issue if I choose to fly in BA J or F using miles.

Around $430RT in fuel surcharges in J/F LHR-SFO if I'm reading the chart correctly, and that's without those dreadful UK departure taxes. Compare that to the $33 TOTAL I just paid for a Cathay business award ticket to Shanghai. I can see where I'll be using my miles (won't be BA).

777lover Oct 1, 2010 1:54 am

With all carriers sharing revenue on all flights, is it going to be possible to book a Z award on say Lhr-DFW on BA but via the AA flight number and avoid the fuel surcharge? doubt it, but thought I would ask.....