Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I'm struggling to see much in this that is good news for AAdvantage members wanting to utilise their miles on BA. Presumably the only way to upgrade to J is to buy full fare Premium Economy.

I can already hear BAEC members breathing huge sighs of relief at this announcement.
Indeed, I am delighted that BAEC is not giving it away
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by androobe
which is why I will never redeem on BA again.
this just got me thinking... does this mean getting award redemption on AA to madrid will now be in high demand? iberia won't charge a fuel surcharge therefore people wanting to go from u.s. to europe will choose madrid as their connection city to avoid fuel surcharges intra-europe. sounds like it'll be hard to find award seats on jfk/mia/dfw to mad now (at least that's the routing i think i'm likely to take to avoid fuel surcharge, plus i'm tired of switching terminals at heathrow.)
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I hope AA is charging an arm and a leg for BA miles redemptions on TATL AA flights.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by demkr
American to its top tier customers: Go ahead, switch to Star Alliance.
It looks like AA pretty much copied UA's scheme as there is not really much difference.

United upgradeable booking classes on partner airlines:
  • Business class (C,D)
  • Economy class (Y,B)

I kind of figure something similarly restrictive as *A's scheme would come about. Nice to have the 100% elite bonus back though. Now I don't have to avoid BA on those A/DONEx tickets and I can fly them over the small pond!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I hope AA is charging an arm and a leg for BA miles redemptions on TATL AA flights.
Looks like it is - $373 plus 50K BA miles for ORD-LHR on AA.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by mikeef
2) Why is the fuel surcharge more for people sitting up front. Do they weigh more?
Yes. Statistics would probably show a small, positive correlation.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Just converted our SFO FCO J class crappy AA seats via ORD to First Class BA seats via LHR in a 747. Definitely worth the $150 per ticket.

Way to go, AA!! ^^
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by goldengate
Just converted our SFO FCO J class crappy AA seats via ORD to First Class BA seats via LHR in a 747. Definitely worth the $150 per ticket.

Way to go, AA!! ^^
How was it only $150 per ticket? You mean $150 each way, so $300 round trip for each person?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldengate

Way to go, AA!! ^^
How much was the FS?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
BA has announced the following on its web site:

"There are also lounge benefits too. British Airways' Silver card holders, travelling in economy on American Airlines transatlantic flights, will be entitled to use the American Airlines' Arrivals Lounge in Terminal 3."

It seems rather odd and unfair that BA silvers can use the AA arrivals lounge, but AA PLTs and EXPs cannot, or have I missed something?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Exactly right.

It's funny how a few days people were speculating that the only thing this joint venture accomplished is that all of AA's flights to LHR would be empty. Now i'd venture to say the exact opposite. AA's flights to LHR will have all the AA elites plus the BA elites who now get to come to the US without paying $300 for a coach "award" ticket and even more for a premium class award ticket.

And even though I go SFO-LHR a few times per year, I'll stick with AA instead of the non-stop on BA cause I want to be able to use the SWU.
Same here. I will continue to fly AA over BA unless I see deals like the current 50K miles for flying C on BA (see below)

Last year, thousands of Executive Club members took full advantage of our 50,000 bonus BA Miles offer. In fact, many of them went above and beyond in their quest to collect BA Miles. One member took 10 round-trip flights last year and earned 500,000 BA Miles. Enough for 10 tickets to Europe. Or 5 tickets to the Far East.

This may be your year to fly to London and beyond. Simply book qualifying flights before December 15, 2010, with travel completed by December 31, 2010. As a valued Executive Club member, you will receive 50,000 bonus BA Miles when you fly in
Club WorldSM or First. Want more? Fly again and collect another 50,000. Each and every qualifying flight this fall will add to your mountain of bonus BA Miles. Flying in
World TravellerSM or World Traveller PlusSM will earn you 25,000 bonus BA Miles.

Once you're registered for this generous offer, you can start working toward a new record for collecting bonus BA Miles that will never be broken.

Member must pay all applicable surcharges (including airline surcharges), government fees and taxes. To qualify, you must be a current Executive Club member and register for this promotion, or if not a current member, must join and register. Offer valid for residents of the US, Canada, Bermuda and the Caribbean only. Member must (i) book a round-trip ticket in a qualifying published fare: British Airways
World TravellerSM (Y, B or H class), World Traveller PlusSM, Club WorldSM or First fares or OpenSkies
Biz Bed or Biz Seat by December 15, 2010 and (ii) travel between September 29, 2010 and December 31, 2010. All travel must be completed by December 31, 2010. Offer applies to new bookings only. Other restrictions apply. Please see ba.com/fallpromo for full Terms and Conditions
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jlsw7
It seems rather odd and unfair that BA silvers can use the AA arrivals lounge, but AA PLTs and EXPs cannot, or have I missed something?
That is a disparity that I would hope will be rapidly corrected as it is indeed an injustice of some magnitude.

Other changes are filtering through as well as BAEC have announced that tier point earnings on discount economy have doubled to 50% and mile earning quadrupled to 100%.

So far this is looking like a very large win for BAEC members and very little benefit to AAdvantage members with a net loss on Award redemptions.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T

So far this is looking like a very large win for BAEC members and very little benefit to AAdvantage members with a net loss on Award redemptions.
Yes and the awards will be harder to come by as BAEC members will now have increased earnings. I also see that BAEC members earn a minimum of 500 miles on BA, whereas for AA members it is still 125.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Gotcha. I hadn't thought that EQM were ever allowed on the TATL.

Since I can't use SWUs on the BA or IB flights, this change makes no difference to me. It won't change my flying patterns since, while I'd like flying BA TATL, I'm not doing it in coach. Even if they do ever allow SWUs cross-metal, the likelihood that it will be allowed from Coach->Business on the cheapest fares (as is allowed on AA) is slim, IMO.

Cheers.
Bummer
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
That is a disparity that I would hope will be rapidly corrected as it is indeed an injustice of some magnitude.
And it has been (partially) while we have been debating it! All OW emeralds (arriving on AA) now get access to the AA arrivals lounge at LHR T3. Now that is some good news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.