Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by valuepac
I know BA charges the ridiculous fuel surcharge (tickets on economy using miles from westcoast are almost $400 to london), but do they also charge for flight at last minute like AA does?
Nope.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dstan
As noted on TB, EXPs now have access to the LHR T3 Arrivals Lounge when arriving on an AA flight:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ungeAccess.jsp

(note the new London Heathrow Arrivals Lounge column on the right side of each of the tables)
First piece of good news I've had all day

Let's hope they didn't just miss the footnote excluding EXP as the benefit is for 'Emerald' rather than named as EXP.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos
1 - you dont have to buy it from AA.com (only reason to do so is to avoid the fuel surcharge if possible..)
2 - you can call AA and have them book in W on BA
3 - book on ba.com in W and submit AA FF#...you will still get EQM/EQP - doesnt have to be a codeshare to get those EQM/EQP
Booking on aa.com does not work. Option 3, booking with BA, does not work. From the FAQ:

"At this time, you may use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade British Airways and Iberia flights as well as American Airlines codeshare flights operated by British Airways and Iberia which have been booked directly with American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com).

However, British Airways and Iberia flights booked through other sources are not currently eligible for an upgrade using miles"

So that would leave AA reservations. Can they book premium economy? Has anyone ever tried?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum - Lifetime
New Oneworld benefits for AAdvantage EXP and PLAT

American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia are now making the oneworld® Alliance even better by bringing you more flights, more convenience, and more opportunities to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles for your transatlantic travel. There has never been a better time to be an AAdvantage® member. Beginning October 1, 2010, you will be able to enjoy more rewards and privileges across all three airlines.

More Ways to Earn Miles
AAdvantage members can now earn AAdvantage miles on all American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights.* And the miles earned for flights on all three airlines count toward elite status qualification.

In addition, when you fly discount economy fares on any British Airways flight or any Iberia transatlantic flight, you will now earn 100% of the base miles flown — just like when you fly on American.

Plus, AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum® members will now earn their elite status bonus miles for all of their travel on British Airways. View the details on more ways to earn miles.
More Flights For Award Travel
Your miles can be redeemed for all flights on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia.* The three carriers' combined route network serves over 400 destinations in more than 100 countries, to give you more convenient schedule options when you are ready to claim a well-deserved award.
More Premium Privileges
The new, expanded relationship will also bring you more opportunities to use miles to upgrade, and continue the reciprocal lounge access for transatlantic customers flying in First Class or Business Class, as well as oneworld Emerald® and oneworld Sapphire® status members. For complete details about upgrades and lounge privileges go to www.aa.com/upgrade and www.aa.com/loungeaccess.
As an AAdvantage member, over time you will see more benefits as we continue to work with oneworld airlines to collectively enhance our product offerings and network.

For more details, visit www.aa.com/nowmore.

Sincerely,

Maya Leibman
President
AAdvantage Loyalty Program
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiacono

So that would leave AA reservations. Can they book premium economy? Has anyone ever tried?
Yes they can

Dave
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
I don't think so. You may have to buy a BA ticket from AA: AA can sell BA tickets that may have a fare class that doesn't exist on AA for that same route.

Example: R class business fares from the US West Coast to India via the North Atlantic. The cheapest upgradeable business class fare (for an upgrade to F) is a BA R class; this fare class doesn't exist on AA for the same route, at least not yet.

But you could buy the BA fare from AA, then upgrade it on BA metal using AA miles.
I have, in the past, tries to get AA reservations to force a T fare on a BA routing. No go. Maybe that has now changed, but it was not possible in the past.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by jiacono
Booking on aa.com does not work. Option 3, booking with BA, does not work. From the FAQ:

"At this time, you may use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade British Airways and Iberia flights as well as American Airlines codeshare flights operated by British Airways and Iberia which have been booked directly with American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com).

However, British Airways and Iberia flights booked through other sources are not currently eligible for an upgrade using miles"

Haven't tried, but since there's already an interline ticketing agreement between BA and AA, AA res can certainly make the booking and sell the ticket.

With the new JV, AA is revenue-neutral. What may happen as time goes on is that fare classes and prices get homongenized as between the two. When they do, you'll be able to book any specific fare on line, if it's available for the itinerary you want.

That, however, may take a while. Meantime, human beings at AA res can probably do what you want (I suppose it depends on what they think they're allowed to do).

What I see in the meantime is a whole bunch of AA fares that now say "not valid on AA 6125 - AA 6225", and an equal number of BA fares that say "not valid on BA 71xx etc..........In other words, each carrier, for the time being, is stuck with its existing array of discounted fares, so they're simply restricting their use on the new code-shares.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United GS, Marriott Plat
I am EXP, but fly Y most of the time(painful). I am heading from DUB-PEK in a few weeks on BA. With today's news I am looking for BA upgrade using miles. Using AA.com (in £), I can see W class on outbound, but not inbound. So it looks like it is there in the system, but a bit hit/miss. Oddly enough they show W in the Economy Saver option (at £889 - more expensive) and B in Economy Flexible (£666) -- strange. Might be a fluke, but putting it out there regardless.

Carrier Flight
Number Departing Arriving Aircraft
Type Cabin

Booking Code
Modify Your
Selection
City Date & Time City Date & Time

BRITISH AIRWAYS
OPERATED BY AER LINGUS 5966 DUB Dublin Oct 18, 2010
01:40 PM LHR London Oct 18, 2010
02:55 PM 320 Economy

Fare Class = B

BRITISH AIRWAYS 39 LHR London Oct 18, 2010
04:35 PM PEK Beijing Oct 19, 2010
09:30 AM 777 Economy

Fare Class = W
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
I have, in the past, tries to get AA reservations to force a T fare on a BA routing. No go. Maybe that has now changed, but it was not possible in the past.
I believe T is the discount WT+ fare...you have to ask for W from AA reservations..
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Haven't tried, but since there's already an interline ticketing agreement between BA and AA, AA res can certainly make the booking and sell the ticket.

With the new JV, AA is revenue-neutral. What may happen as time goes on is that fare classes and prices get homongenized as between the two. When they do, you'll be able to book any specific fare on line, if it's available for the itinerary you want.

That, however, may take a while. Meantime, human beings at AA res can probably do what you want (I suppose it depends on what they think they're allowed to do).

What I see in the meantime is a whole bunch of AA fares that now say "not valid on AA 6125 - AA 6225", and an equal number of BA fares that say "not valid on BA 71xx etc..........In other words, each carrier, for the time being, is stuck with its existing array of discounted fares, so they're simply restricting their use on the new code-shares.
some people have quoted pricing irregularities (Y fare but J reservation etc) in BA due to the JV...they will fix it soon so you might want to book the full flex B and take your chance...

in the past (2+ yrs ago) - whenever i have booked Y/B from BOM-LHR...BA was generous enough to give me a seat in CW if available because of OW Emerald...so you might get lucky as well...Gluck!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by galaticos
I believe T is the discount WT+ fare...you have to ask for W from AA reservations..
It is, but my point was that in the past, AA has been unable to book a WT+ fare. I'm sure that has changed now.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:02 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by goldengate
Just converted our SFO FCO J class crappy AA seats via ORD to First Class BA seats via LHR in a 747. Definitely worth the $150 per ticket.

Way to go, AA!! ^^
Ciao!

So no additional miles needed?

And aren't there more taxes/fees for LHR than the original route which had total tax/fee at about $45

What about the fuel charge? Was that added, or since the original tix were booked prior to the change were you able to avoid it?

And (lastly!) I forgot, did you end up booking 2 one-ways or a roundtrip? (I'm trying to determine my costs to do the same and I'm on 2 one-ways which I thought would incur a $150+25=$175 change fee).

Glad you're happy with your new route!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
It is, but my point was that in the past, AA has been unable to book a WT+ fare. I'm sure that has changed now.
In the past AA has been able to book it

Online , it was only possible if WT+ was the lowest fare class available since no option to specifically request WT+ but AA reservations have always been able to book specific classes. Have booked several BA WT+ tickets through AA reservations in the past

AA has just never had a WT+ award option

Dave
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by shouchin
I am EXP, but fly Y most of the time(painful). I am heading from DUB-PEK in a few weeks on BA. With today's news I am looking for BA upgrade using miles. Using AA.com (in £), I can see W class on outbound, but not inbound. So it looks like it is there in the system, but a bit hit/miss. Oddly enough they show W in the Economy Saver option (at £889 - more expensive) and B in Economy Flexible (£666) -- strange. Might be a fluke, but putting it out there regardless.

Carrier Flight
Number Departing Arriving Aircraft
Type Cabin

Booking Code
Modify Your
Selection
City Date & Time City Date & Time

BRITISH AIRWAYS
OPERATED BY AER LINGUS 5966 DUB Dublin Oct 18, 2010
01:40 PM LHR London Oct 18, 2010
02:55 PM 320 Economy

Fare Class = B

BRITISH AIRWAYS 39 LHR London Oct 18, 2010
04:35 PM PEK Beijing Oct 19, 2010
09:30 AM 777 Economy

Fare Class = W
W will get your WT+ - call BA to confirm or go to BA.com / manage my booking and input your PNR...it should come up as WT+ if your booking code is W..
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
I think fuel surcharges are bad enough when there is a sudden dramatic increase in fuel prices, but that hasn't been the case for awhile. Damn.. make it part of the ticket price already. These kinds of charges should be outlawed. Fuel is part of the normal requirements for operating an aircraft. What's next, a de-icing charge when de-icing is needed?
Count me as among the ticked off on this point. Since I doubt I'll be flying BA for any US-UK flights, none of the new benefits are doing much for me. But well over half of my AA miles are redeemed on Canada-Europe BA flights, which just went up about $300 a pop. I guess that's what they meant by titling the announcement email "Now MORE for Transatlantic Travelers" - truth in advertising.

It's not a fuel surcharge. It's a CO-PAY. At least have the balls to call it what it is. Big, huge .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.