Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
American to its top tier customers: Go ahead, switch to Star Alliance.
Huh? If American's top-tier customers haven't switched to Star Alliance already because of the non-earning/non-burning/non-upgrading situation that prevailed until yesterday, why would today's announcement make them switch?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:06 am

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...ishAirways.jsp

We can now earn 100% on discount economy ^
TATL redemptions are great, but with fuel surcharge
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 777lover
Oh this sucks that we have to pay fuel surcharges on BA now.
It has the potential to eliminate all, most or some of the value of intra-European and European-originating award tickets in coach and, less so, in the higher classes of service.

to this aspect which is increasingly putting AA's program into the DL way of operating DL SkyMiles.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 1, 2010 at 2:15 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
i just called AA. a round-trip ticket from SFO to LHR would have $265 in fuel surcharges, not to mention the taxes and other fees. that's ridiculous. guess i'll stick with AA for award travel in coach now. bummer about them not taking the SWU's though.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:30 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
Around $430RT in fuel surcharges in J/F LHR-SFO if I'm reading the chart correctly, and that's without those dreadful UK departure taxes. Compare that to the $33 TOTAL I just paid for a Cathay business award ticket to Shanghai. I can see where I'll be using my miles (won't be BA).
That'll certainly be a comfort to those BAEC who believe (mistakenly IMO) that all their award seats will disappear as AA members clamber to sample those cold nuts in a packet on BA J.

Those dreadful UK departure taxes will be paid no matter who you're flying with. I won't be flying to/from the West Coast but if the increased flexibility means I can now take a TATL flight on the day I want in BA F (I don't plan to redeem in BA J) without using additional day(s) in vacation time then approx US$150 each way is a price I'll pay.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
i just called AA. a round-trip ticket from SFO to LHR would have $265 in fuel surcharges, not to mention the taxes and other fees. that's ridiculous. guess i'll stick with AA for award travel in coach now. bummer about them not taking the SWU's though.
For "now" being the operative word.

Due to goverment allowances for airline collusion by AA/BA/IB, your chances of avoiding the fuel surcharges will be lower than they would otherwise be if the government did not enable this collusion for AA/BA/IB.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:04 am

What I can't work out is whether we have to pay the BA fuel surcharge on all BA flights, or just Transatlantic ones.

Previously we have been able to redeem on the vast majority of the BA route network outside of North America and have not had to pay a surcharge. I would be very disappointed if this was now a global change just because of the new TATL deal.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spanishflea
What I can't work out is whether we have to pay the BA fuel surcharge on all BA flights, or just Transatlantic ones.

Previously we have been able to redeem on the vast majority of the BA route network outside of North America and have not had to pay a surcharge. I would be very disappointed if this was now a global change just because of the new TATL deal.
I read it that fuel fines will be charged on all BA flights.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
the biggest disappointment of this seems to be that it will cost you 25K miles + $350 just to upgrade to their crappy premium economy. i think they offered me the option at the gate of upgrading to premium economy for $300 anyway. regardless, it's literally almost the same thing as coach. a tiny tiny bit more space and absolutely no difference in service level. i think they were also offering upgrades to business for $900. i'd rather pay $550 more and save the 25k miles and go to business. actually, i'd rather just do neither of the above and stay in coach.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:24 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
the biggest disappointment of this seems to be that it will cost you 25K miles + $350 just to upgrade to their crappy premium economy. i think they offered me the option at the gate of upgrading to premium economy for $300 anyway. regardless, it's literally almost the same thing as coach. a tiny tiny bit more space and absolutely no difference in service level. i think they were also offering upgrades to business for $900. i'd rather pay $550 more and save the 25k miles and go to business. actually, i'd rather just do neither of the above and stay in coach.
I think it's about 7 more inches of pitch, so perhaps a bit more than tiny, but I'd agree otherwise with the general assessment of BA's premium economy product.
At first glance, seems a mixed blessing. I haven't been using AAdvantage miles for BA redemptions, so the fuel surcharge doesn't have much impact for me, but I recognize it's a loss for many AA flyers. I am glad to have the option to earn on BA TATLs and at least to have the choice to burn on BA TATLs if I'm willing to pay the surcharge.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Should make the BA elites happy, I can't see me ever redeeming AA miles on BA again.

Virtually nothing of benefit to me there at all sadly.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: A few
Basically the ability to earn AA on BA flights, and redeem with fuel surcharge. Absolutely no shockers here at all. I'd almost started believing SWU's would be usable but that I think was clearly a figment of the collective FT speculative imagination

I am fine with these changes, nothing major but now if I end up on BA either flying or because I want to redeem the option is there.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I read it that fuel fines will be charged on all BA flights.
That's how I read it too, even as I was trying to hold out a little hope that it would only hit if the longest segment on an itinerary was BA-operated.

I've gained nothing from this AA change -- rather AA's change is stripping value out of the AA miles I've accumulated (and this is just for starters in terms of devaluation).
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not how I read it from the upgrade table. It shows 12.5k to upgrade to PE and 12.5 k to upgrade to business from premium economy for North America to Europe ( http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...rades/main.jsp )

Seems a reasonable deal for upgrading to business

Dave
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: AA PLT
I haven't seen anyone point out an obvious benefit for elites.

"Effective October 1, 2010, AAdvantage Executive Platinum members and AAdvantage Platinum members will earn elite status bonus miles for British Airways flights."

Things are not all bad..........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.