Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Right you are. Thanks for reminding me.

I was under the impression that upgrading from WT+ to CW using BA miles could be done using a discounted WT+ ticket. If I'm right about that, then AA members are at a significant disadvantage in this regard.
Or are BA about to change the requirement for its's memebrs that to upgrade to CW from WT+ you need to have paid full fare.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Just realized: are award fuel surcharges on BA retroactive? I have a CAI-LHR-YVR award booked on BA as part of my upcoming OW trip in November that I booked way back in January.

I'd be angry if I show up at the counter and told "we need more $$$" from you
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by 777lover
With all carriers sharing revenue on all flights, is it going to be possible to book a Z award on say Lhr-DFW on BA but via the AA flight number and avoid the fuel surcharge? doubt it, but thought I would ask.....
awards can never be booked on codeshares...has to be original flight number..
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by fatmac70
Or are BA about to change the requirement for its's memebrs that to upgrade to CW from WT+ you need to have paid full fare.
Apparently not.

Translating : MFU == "Miles for Upgrade"; BA Executive Club is the official BA presence.

Note that BAEC members have the same restrictions when using BA miles to upgrade on AA, whereas AA members have more options on their home carrier - the playing field is level.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
Apparently not.

Translating : MFU == "Miles for Upgrade"; BA Executive Club is the official BA presence.

Note that BAEC members have the same restrictions when using BA miles to upgrade on AA, whereas AA members have more options on their home carrier - the playing field is level.
I have seen that and time will tell and I hope I am wrong.
BA have given a lot away today - I am sure it needs to be paid back somehow.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by mikeef
1) We have already booked award tickets for next July using AA miles to fly BA. Are they going to retroactively charge us the fuel surcharge?

2) Why is the fuel surcharge more for people sitting up front. Do they weigh more?

Mike
Those up front likely do not weigh more (although since they are disproportionately men and adult, perhaps they so), but the C and F equipment is certainly heavier than Y.

The whole fuel surcharge mumbo jumbo remains ludicrous, whether practiced by BA, AC or anyone else. It is a cost of operation and should be incorporated into the cost of the ticket, perhaps reserving the right to add a surcharge if crude exceeds some benchmark which reflects recent market conditions (say, perhaps $80/bbl). But adding a "fuel surcharge" to a "free" ticket as a matter of course is pretty lame. What will they do next, decouple every aspect of travel (food, wear and tear on equipment, maintenance) from the "free" ticket, adding it as a surcharge, essentially making only the boarding pass free?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Just realized: are award fuel surcharges on BA retroactive? I have a CAI-LHR-YVR award booked on BA as part of my upcoming OW trip in November that I booked way back in January.

I'd be angry if I show up at the counter and told "we need more $$$" from you
I'm pretty sure they won't, but if it does, it is very unfair.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by fatmac70
I have seen that and time will tell and I hope I am wrong.
BA have given a lot away today - I am sure it needs to be paid back somehow.
Maybe; who knows.

Overall the two carriers seem to have moved to a system where there IS some form of cross-carrier earn & burn including upgrades but they still favour their own members on their own operated flights. Whether that changes over time remains to be seen.

One thing I think we're not giving enough importance to here is the position for the big corporate customers with deep-discounted, negotiated deals is actually a lot more neutral than it is for small busines & leisure travellers. Since many of the big purchasers have discounted prices based on flexible bucket fares they will be getting a lot more seamless upgrade oportunities than the rest of us. Those folks are going to be the big winners from this.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
Maybe; who knows.

Overall the two carriers seem to have moved to a system where there IS some form of cross-carrier earn & burn including upgrades but they still favour their own members on their own operated flights. Whether that changes over time remains to be seen.

One thing I think we're not giving enough importance to here is the position for the big corporate customers with deep-discounted, negotiated deals is actually a lot more neutral than it is for small busines & leisure travellers. Since many of the big purchasers have discounted prices based on flexible bucket fares they will be getting a lot more seamless upgrade oportunities than the rest of us. Those folks are going to be the big winners from this.
I agree - I work for one of these customers. I wonder if we will get Net Fares that allow travel on all three airlines. Of so that is a major plus re flexibility.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
It looks like AA pretty much copied UA's scheme as there is not really much difference.

United upgradeable booking classes on partner airlines:
  • Business class (C,D)
  • Economy class (Y,B)
Not even close. For one, a UA Y/B ticket gets you upgraded to Business Class on your choice of many airlines. With AA, a Y/B ticket allows you to upgrade to Business Class on only AA or Iberia. On BA, to get into business class you need a full fare premium economy ticket (W class), which for something like ORD-LHR is $3500++ (more than some deep discount Business "I" ticket).

I suspected people would not be happy when the FF-related details of this JV were announced. I specifically referenced the screwing-over of NYC DL fliers who want to fly to, say, Paris. DL ceded the route to be operated by AF, so there are no reciprocal upgrades (only with KLM apparently) and there is no "AAnytime" award. It definitely remains to be seen how the network shakes out. Hopefully AA will continue to operate in the big markets.

Last edited by ijgordon; Oct 1, 2010 at 11:44 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Here's the red herring in the room that I don't see has been pointed out yet, and seals the deal for me to head to *A: Since our eVIPs are not going to be allowed to be used on BA/IB flights, we are going to see a LARGE drop in the number of applicable flights we can use these on.

Think about it, one reason AA/BA/IB are doing the ATI so they can coordinate and shift around the fleet utilization. This means that fewer routes and frequencies that we may prefer to fly on AA may be shifted mostly or ENTIRELY to BA/IB metal, which will completely shut us out from upgrades using eVIPs. Or, in the case of reduced frequencies operated by AA (i.e. JFK - LHR), upgrades will become MUCH more difficult.

Granted, AA's fleet numbers will remain constant and they will distribute to different destinations, but that 'spreading out' effect is not going to be good for upgrade inventory.

There just isn't a point to stay with AA anymore. The combination of higher fares (that will only get higher with the ATI) and reduced upgrades is not going to keep my business. I can get the same benefits, or lack thereof, over at *A but with a VASTLY superior route network.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by denCSA
Here's the red herring in the room that I don't see has been pointed out yet, and seals the deal for me to head to *A: Since our eVIPs are not going to be allowed to be used on BA/IB flights, we are going to see a LARGE drop in the number of applicable flights we can use these on.

Think about it, one reason AA/BA/IB are doing the ATI so they can coordinate and shift around the fleet utilization. This means that fewer routes and frequencies that we may prefer to fly on AA may be shifted mostly or ENTIRELY to BA/IB metal, which will completely shut us out from upgrades using eVIPs. Or, in the case of reduced frequencies operated by AA (i.e. JFK - LHR), upgrades will become MUCH more difficult.

Granted, AA's fleet numbers will remain constant and they will distribute to different destinations, but that 'spreading out' effect is not going to be good for upgrade inventory.

There just isn't a point to stay with AA anymore. The combination of higher fares (that will only get higher with the ATI) and reduced upgrades is not going to keep my business. I can get the same benefits, or lack thereof, over at *A but with a VASTLY superior route network.
You might well be right in every part of your analysis re AA, but don't jump ship quite yet. Let's see how the CO/UA merger plays out. Before that merger, AA was generally better with upgrade and award availability than UA. If both FF programs deteriorate, which one will be better down the line remains to be seen. (I realize, of course, that there are many other *A FF options in addition to UA.)

Last edited by Thunderroad; Oct 1, 2010 at 11:56 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:51 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Arrow AA.com webpages now live

The following AA.com links are now live (email received around noon ET):

http://www.aa.com/nowmore

BA/IB Earning: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-earn-more-miles.jsp
BA/IB Elite Status Bonus: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...atus/bonus.jsp

BA/IB Upgrades: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...rades/main.jsp
General Upgrades: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not even close. For one, a UA Y/B ticket gets you upgraded to Business Class on your choice of many airlines. With AA, a Y/B ticket allows you to upgrade to Business Class on only AA or Iberia. On BA, to get into business class you need a full fare premium economy ticket, which for something like ORD-LHR is $3500++ (more than some deep discount Business "I" ticket).
True, but UA's miles earn/burn rate for award ticket is worse compared to AA:

UA + *A from NA to EU; with no one-way award possible using *A carriers:
E: 55k RT
B: 105k RT
F: 135k RT

AA+AS+OW from NA to EU; allows one-way award using AS & OW carriers as well:
Y: 20/30 one-way/depends on off-peakor peak season
C: 50k one-way
F: 62.5k one-way

Overall, I think AA still has the upper advantage if they market this fact more clearly. One can do one-way LAX-YVR-LHR using AA partner AS and BA on the inbound with a free stopover at YVR for 20k miles, and on the return can fly BRU-ORD-LAX one-way for 20k all on AA with a free stopover at ORD; total of only 40k miles. Can't do that with UA.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Why doesn't AA offer AC members reciprocal lounge access at BA/IB? UA and DL manage this to varying extent with their transatlantic partners; I wish AA would do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.