Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Doubt it for ORD, AA Terminal 3 doesn't have CBP processing facilities; even AA international flights have to first disembark passengers at the international T5 and physically move the plane to T3. Huge inefficiency right there.
For arrivals yes. However, for departures using T3 is clearly possible, IB already does.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
For arrivals yes. However, for departures using T3 is clearly possible, IB already does.
True, but I guess this depends on how fast BA wants a turn around at ORD and if they're willing to eat up the extra cost. The disembark pax at T5, tow to T3 to embark is an added hassle and cost.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I read it that fuel fines will be charged on all BA flights.
I think fuel surcharges are bad enough when there is a sudden dramatic increase in fuel prices, but that hasn't been the case for awhile. Damn.. make it part of the ticket price already. These kinds of charges should be outlawed. Fuel is part of the normal requirements for operating an aircraft. What's next, a de-icing charge when de-icing is needed?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by MilesMark
I acknowledge that I don't appreciate the nuances of international upgrades since we use our miles for business class international tickets but, anecdotally at least, there may be an actual improvement in award availability (although maybe only for today). This morning I snagged two business class seats on the dates we wanted in April on BA from BOS to MUC via LHR on the way out and on IB via MAD on the way back. BOS, not JFK! I was stunned. When I asked about a different day, she told me to call back soon as flights were being added to inventory today because of the AA/BA/IB combination. As you know, we could never have flown TATL on BA and any flights from BOS to LHR in business were extremely rare. To avoid the fuel surcharge, I had requested IB for both legs, but only available on the return. Sounds like going through MAD (which I prefer anyway) instead of LHR is going to be a good strategy to save money. We freqently flew IB from BOS to get to Europe, and now it's nice to have BA as a backup.

If you want to snag any TATL award travel, today may be a good day to call.
MilesMark, mind sharing what your taxes and fees came out to?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Why doesn't AA offer AC members reciprocal lounge access at BA/IB? UA and DL manage this to varying extent with their transatlantic partners; I wish AA would do the same.
as a plat I've always had access to all the OW partners lounges world wide, no questions asked. All they needed to see was my plat card and they would let me in.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club
last Minute use of miles on BA

I know BA charges the ridiculous fuel surcharge (tickets on economy using miles from westcoast are almost $400 to london), but do they also charge for flight at last minute like AA does?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by valuepac
I know BA charges the ridiculous fuel surcharge (tickets on economy using miles from westcoast are almost $400 to london), but do they also charge for flight at last minute like AA does?
Historically they haven't charged close-in award fees, however you also haven't been able to book an award or upgrade less than 24 hours from departure.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:13 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Arrow EXP now have access to LHR T3 Arrivals Lounge

As noted on TB, EXPs now have access to the LHR T3 Arrivals Lounge when arriving on an AA flight:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ungeAccess.jsp

(note the new London Heathrow Arrivals Lounge column on the right side of each of the tables)
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by awpeters
MilesMark, mind sharing what your taxes and fees came out to?
One way you can check the likely taxes & surcharges is to use a site like itasoftware.com to price the route and class you want. Once you have that, drill down to the fare details and it will break out the components of the price for you. Most of those are identical for reward and revenue tickets.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:18 pm

You can only upgrade on BA to J from W
You can not buy W on AA.com
You can only upgrade tickets bought on AA.com

Thus, you can never upgrade to J on BA.

Is this correct?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:20 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by dstan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

The following AA.com links are now live (email received around noon ET):

General Announcement and FAQ:
http://www.aa.com/nowmore
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-faqs.jsp

AA Mileage Earning on BA/IB:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-earn-more-miles.jsp
(100% accrual in Discount Economy on all BA and TATL IB)

AA Elite Status Bonus on BA/IB:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...atus/bonus.jsp
(All elites on IB; PLT & EXP only on BA)

AA Award Travel on BA/IB:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...servations.jsp
(BA TATL flights now eligible for AAdvantage All-Partner Awards)

AA Upgrades on BA/IB:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...rades/main.jsp
(Full Fare Y–>Premium Economy, Premium Economy–>J, J–>F)

AA Upgrades General Info:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp
(all AA Upgrades are now subject to a $20 processing fee)

AA Lounge Access:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ungeAccess.jsp
(EXPs now have LHR T3 Arrivals Lounge access when arriving on an AA flight)

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please let me know if the above note in the OP is a reasonable summary and if I've missed or misinterpreted anything.

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jiacono
You can only upgrade on BA to J from W
You can not buy W on AA.com
You can only upgrade tickets bought on AA.com

Thus, you can never upgrade to J on BA.

Is this correct?
I don't think so. You may have to buy a BA ticket from AA: AA can sell BA tickets that may have a fare class that doesn't exist on AA for that same route.

Example: R class business fares from the US West Coast to India via the North Atlantic. The cheapest upgradeable business class fare (for an upgrade to F) is a BA R class; this fare class doesn't exist on AA for the same route, at least not yet.

But you could buy the BA fare from AA, then upgrade it on BA metal using AA miles.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bitterroot
I don't think so. You may have to buy a BA ticket from AA: AA can sell BA tickets that may have a fare class that doesn't exist on AA for that same route.

Example: R class business fares from the US West Coast to India via the North Atlantic. The cheapest upgradeable business class fare (for an upgrade to F) is a BA R class; this fare class doesn't exist on AA for the same route, at least not yet.

But you could buy the BA fare from AA, then upgrade it on BA metal using AA miles.
How do you buy premium economy tickets on any carrier on AA.com? A good number of their partners offer them.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
1 - you dont have to buy it from AA.com (only reason to do so is to avoid the fuel surcharge if possible..)
2 - you can call AA and have them book in W on BA
3 - book on ba.com in W and submit AA FF#...you will still get EQM/EQP - doesnt have to be a codeshare to get those EQM/EQP
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bernardd
One way you can check the likely taxes & surcharges is to use a site like itasoftware.com to price the route and class you want. Once you have that, drill down to the fare details and it will break out the components of the price for you. Most of those are identical for reward and revenue tickets.
You still have not answered the question. We know how to find out about taxes and fees. What the OP wanted to know is how much did the taxes and FS on your ticketed fare come up to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.