Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by L3talk
Hi, does anyone know how long after made qualified purchase does Citi credit the 75000 promotion miles? I would make 2MM after the 75K hit my AA account, thus I am somehow nervous on if I can make lifetime Plt before year end?
Typically a day or two after the statement (in which you crossed the purchase threshold) closes.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
thanks, I know the earned miles will be posted within a day or 2, I didn't know the big promotion miles (75K) is also that fast, I am all relieved now!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Hi, does anyone know how long after made qualified purchase does Citi credit the 75000 promotion miles? I would make 2MM after the 75K hit my AA account, thus I am somehow nervous on if I can make lifetime Plt before year end?
Being so close to 2MM, you should definitely do whatever you can to reach peace of mind on this sooner rather than later. While I am subject to the general hysteria on this thread, the only thing different I have seen this year than in past years (where the hype reached similar levels) is that 2 people have been told that it would be a good idea that they reach their million mile or 2million mark before year end if they can. Unfortunately even thought the analytical side of me says there is probably only a 10 or 15% chance this will be changed in the next few months, I have been the victim of several significant Delta program devaluations without prior announcement making me nervous that AA is also capable of such. Furthermore, it looks like AA has significantly devalued AAdvantage miles for European redemptions in particular with their change to VERY hefty fees on BA metal awards. If they can do that without sufficient warning, perhaps they'd also do that to the lifetime status program as well.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel
perhaps
The key word here. This thread definitely should win the FlyerTalk Oscar for "Best Speculation"
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Being so close to 2MM, you should definitely do whatever you can to reach peace of mind on this sooner rather than later. While I am subject to the general hysteria on this thread, the only thing different I have seen this year than in past years (where the hype reached similar levels) is that 2 people have been told that it would be a good idea that they reach their million mile or 2million mark before year end if they can. Unfortunately even thought the analytical side of me says there is probably only a 10 or 15% chance this will be changed in the next few months, I have been the victim of several significant Delta program devaluations without prior announcement making me nervous that AA is also capable of such. Furthermore, it looks like AA has significantly devalued AAdvantage miles for European redemptions in particular with their change to VERY hefty fees on BA metal awards. If they can do that without sufficient warning, perhaps they'd also do that to the lifetime status program as well.
If you are drinking the cool aid that makes sense. Personally, I'm doing everything I can to hold off hitting 2MM until next year. Every year for the past 5+ years this hysteria resurfaces...I'll bet $2 the same discussion is started again next year too.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: United 1K
Going for the Gold. My second Citi card just posted with the 75K bonus and I finally passed the 1 million mile mark after 16 years.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jaguar
Going for the Gold. My second Citi card just posted with the 75K bonus and I finally passed the 1 million mile mark after 16 years.
Hi, did you receive the 75K bonus right after the statement date ? thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Don't have high hopes for myself at ~250k, even if AA/Citi lets me churn these 75k cards to some degree, oh well
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Hi, did you receive the 75K bonus right after the statement date ? thanks.
1-2 days after.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
If you are drinking the cool aid that makes sense. Personally, I'm doing everything I can to hold off hitting 2MM until next year. Every year for the past 5+ years this hysteria resurfaces...I'll bet $2 the same discussion is started again next year too.
Actually, it seems that every year, the frenzy and hysteria mounts. We have yet to see the end of the Million Mile program as we know it, but that is perhaps the only thing that will quell the frantic speculation.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by gemac
Actually, it seems that every year, the frenzy and hysteria mounts. We have yet to see the end of the Million Mile program as we know it, but that is perhaps the only thing that will quell the frantic speculation.
I'm sure a public commitment to it as a published benefit rather than an unpublished one would quell it, at least temporarily
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nkedel
I'm sure a public commitment to it as a published benefit rather than an unpublished one would quell it, at least temporarily
That would be nice. I think the fact that it could be gone and no one know for awhile probably makes this issue loom larger. I learned not to worry myself about this benefit because of this topic, especially since it's completely out of my control.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
I think the fact that it could be gone and no one know for awhile probably makes this issue loom larger.
Not too likely, given this thread and the "I just hit X million miles" thread. I think we'll find out pretty quickly.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Belgian fries with your thread sir???:

Browsing through my bestiary of ff book marks I found a live one that still docs, in a tangental way the million miler program:

http://www.aa.com/intl/be/agency/par...lyerAccrue.jsp

Its all that is left now that the Irish site took down their mention of it some year back.

Quote of note from the same:

"Members must requalify each calendar year for each status. Membership year: 1Mar-28Feb (following year)

Executive Platinum members who do not requalify for Executive Platinum status for the next membership year will be given Platinum status for 1 year. Platinum members who do not requalify, except for 2 Million Milers, will revert to Gold status even if they did not meet the qualification criteria for Gold. Gold members who do not requalify, except for Million Milers, will revert to regular AAdvantage status "

Note this page is dated and as of Oct 01 has some very inaccurate info. But, now ya can't say that the program is totally undocumented.
they don't have the particulars of the program, but it is mentioned on the aa website. unfortunately, it under the luggage tag FAQ here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/luggageTag_faq.jsp

found via google search ["million mile" site:www.aa.com]
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
FYI, i was talking to a very helpful agent the other day that has been at AA a long time. I mentioned that i should be over 1MM in about 4 mo and if i should be worried about the Gold 1MM deal going away. She said "no, not at all, that program has been around for a long long time - you'll be fine". So i'm feeling better about getting there soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.