Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
Perhaps FT could offer a Gold, Plat, ExPlat reward tier.
The TalkBoard is working on an Ambassador program if you're interested in that.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt 2MM
Moving back to the original topic....

Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
While certainly AA could drop the current MM threshold program with zero notice, why would they want to? Given the nature of the FF community, wouldn't AA want to give some notice that after X date, only BIS miles will count? Won't that likely lead to a short additional revenue boost to AA at the the relatively low cost of awarding the lifetime benefit sooner to those likely to receive it at some point anyway based on BIS miles?
It won't get any more BIS miles if people do what I just did, which is to succumb to the rumor in this thread and transfer over a big bunch of Diners Club points (with the 25% bonus promotion that they're running until the end of the month) to make the 2MM. I'm sure AA get some money out of DC for those points, but I'm not convinced it's worth it to AA for me to have even more miles.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:45 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Hmm...

After reading this post, I'm now concerned. I have 750k in my primary AA account and 70k in another AA account. After reading this all: 1. does AA combine programme miles of both accounts, and 2. should I combine these accounts and push for 1MM?

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by uxb
After reading this post, I'm now concerned. I have 750k in my primary AA account and 70k in another AA account. After reading this all: 1. does AA combine programme miles of both accounts, and 2. should I combine these accounts and push for 1MM?

How do you have two AAdvantage accounts?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
is there any reason to keep them separate even w/o regard to this thread?

yes, combine them.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by uxb

You shouldn't have two accounts. It sometimes happens by mistake. As one possible example, it can happen if you get an AA affinity credit card and forget to enter your existing AA number in the application. They'll open a new account for you.

Since this happens often enough, AA is quite familiar with what they have to do to merge the accounts. There is no upside to keeping both of them. You should merge them even without 1MM considerations. You have to ask, though. They don't assume that two accounts with the same name, or even the same name and address, necessarily belong to the same person. (Lots of Jr./Sr. pairs live in the same home and don't always use their suffixes.)

(There might be one situation where it's good to have two accounts. If you're thinking of doing anything against program rules, and are afraid you might get caught and have your account closed, you might get to keep the other one. I assume that's not the case here, though.)
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
UneXploded Bombs are very unpredictable.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:01 am
uxb

I have my primary account which is from 1999. I opened that when I was a kid and started to earn airline miles through Opinion Place. Today, I use it for everything from Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card, Credit Card and Corporate Card to my regular AA travel and the AAdvantage EShopping portal (*groans*). The second account came in when I took over my mum's finances. I opened a new Citigold account and didn't link it with my current account. No link = a separate card for her to use + a new AA number.

Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven

yes, combine them.
I keep them separate to earn points on her transactions and mine without the incovenience of having to give her my card.

Originally Posted by Efrem
You shouldn't have two accounts. It sometimes happens by mistake. As one possible example, it can happen if you get an AA affinity credit card and forget to enter your existing AA number in the application. They'll open a new account for you.

Since this happens often enough, AA is quite familiar with what they have to do to merge the accounts. There is no upside to keeping both of them. You should merge them even without 1MM considerations. You have to ask, though. They don't assume that two accounts with the same name, or even the same name and address, necessarily belong to the same person. (Lots of Jr./Sr. pairs live in the same home and don't always use their suffixes.)

(There might be one situation where it's good to have two accounts. If you're thinking of doing anything against program rules, and are afraid you might get caught and have your account closed, you might get to keep the other one. I assume that's not the case here, though.)
I am not doing anything illegal with the accounts. I use it as an emergency redemption. This past year I had to fly to CVG for a funeral, and the year before I had to fly back to NYC for the same reason (different person... or so you would hope... ). I know each member should only have one account, so that in itself is against programme rules. However, what is spooking me out is the speculation that 1MM/2MM may end. I would really like to know if I should combine, and if AA combines PTD miles.

On a side note, if I had joined FT in 2001 when I started travelling extensively, then I wouldn't be worrying about this in 2010. :-P
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
Multiple promos when participation is limited, and awarding of EXP VIPs for high volume travelers.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by uxb
I have my primary account which is from 1999. I opened that when I was a kid and started to earn airline miles through Opinion Place. Today, I use it for everything from Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card, Credit Card and Corporate Card to my regular AA travel and the AAdvantage EShopping portal (*groans*). The second account came in when I took over my mum's finances. I opened a new Citigold account and didn't link it with my current account. No link = a separate card for her to use + a new AA number.
So you have your own account in your name and then your mom has an account in her name? If this is the case, then you can't consolidate them into one account. The only thing you can do is to transfer - w/fees of course - from one account to the other.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:17 pm
uxb

So you have your own account in your name and then your mom has an account in her name? If this is the case, then you can't consolidate them into one account. The only thing you can do is to transfer - w/fees of course - from one account to the other.
No. Both accounts are in my name.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem

Multiple accounts can happen quite legitimately as well. One of my friends had two accounts recently, one of which was his old converted TWA account that stayed active because he had a miles credit card going to it, while his AA account number is what he always used for flying. When asked why he had both accounts, he replied that he lost the number for his old account. He recently finally called AA, and they merged the accounts with no problems, but I'm pretty sure he was not violating any enforceable TOS.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
regarding two accounts

i have to believe those employers who keep the miles would require or it would behoove the employee to have two accounts

one for business, one for non-business travel
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by r415
Multiple accounts can happen quite legitimately as well. One of my friends had two accounts recently, one of which was his old converted TWA account that stayed active because he had a miles credit card going to it, while his AA account number is what he always used for flying. When asked why he had both accounts, he replied that he lost the number for his old account. He recently finally called AA, and they merged the accounts with no problems, but I'm pretty sure he was not violating any enforceable TOS.
I hope nothing I said was misinterpreted as suggesting that two accounts only happen "not legitimately." In my example, leaving a number off a credit card application can be an honest mistake. Of all the people who have two numbers, I doubt many were trying to game the system.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
regarding two accounts

i have to believe those employers who keep the miles would require or it would behoove the employee to have two accounts

one for business, one for non-business travel
If I were an employee at a company with such a policy, merits of the policy aside (that's another thread), I'd object to this on the basis that it will make it much harder to gain status. Back when I did a lot of business travel on AA, if I had needed two accounts for this reason, I would have ended up as Platinum (with miles to spare) on the business side and Gold (more or less) in my personal account, rather than EXP for the total. As long as the company gets to use the miles it paid for, why should it object if they're combined with others for this purpose?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Before the federal government allowed employees to keep and use the miles gained on official travel for personal use, many federal employees maintained two accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.