Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by tom911
Did they not recognize you were EXP? Seems odd to call you a "not-so-regular flyer" unless you are a not-so-regular flyer.
She was referring to this blog...
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-with-american
which I sent to her - a different poster in this thread linked to it.

She was not referring to me as being a not-so-regular flyer. She knows why I fly (and how much I fly) and it shows.

HAHAHAH
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
FT chatter on disappearing lifetime AA status?

I am hoping to get to lifetime AA gold status by the end of this year but may miss it by a whisker. A little while ago, I picked up some chatter on FT threads that AA was potentially deciding to do away with lifetime status for 1MM passengers. Cannot seem to find details on this anymore, anywhere on FT.

Would anyone here like to comment on the origin of these rumors and whether there is any likelihood that AA will actually discontinue lifetime status for those who have collected one million miles?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
I am hoping to get to lifetime AA gold status by the end of this year but may miss it by a whisker. A little while ago, I picked up some chatter on FT threads that AA was potentially deciding to do away with lifetime status for 1MM passengers. Cannot seem to find details on this anymore, anywhere on FT.

Would anyone here like to comment on the origin of these rumors and whether there is any likelihood that AA will actually discontinue lifetime status for those who have collected one million miles?
I am not aware of any chatter indicating that those who have already qualified would lose their lifetime status. What is regularly speculated on since several years is that at some point AA may stop awarding "new" lifetime status, or change the qualifcation requirements in some way or another.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
I am not aware of any chatter indicating that those who have already qualified would lose their lifetime status. What is regularly speculated on since several years is that at some point AA may stop awarding "new" lifetime status, or change the qualifcation requirements in some way or another.
Honestly, it should be BIS miles like other airlines. I'm a 90% leisure travel EXP who switched over from US to AA on 1/1/07 and even with only sporadic use of my Citi card will likely be at 1MM by early to mid 2012.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:12 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

Is it this thread you were looking for? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-continue.html

(Actually found it by searching on the terms you used in your own thread title: {lifetime status} )
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Cannot seem to find details on this anymore, anywhere on FT.
What search terms did you use before starting a new thread? JY1024 seems to have found it pretty easily.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Thanks JY1024...!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by videomaker
What search terms did you use before starting a new thread? JY1024 seems to have found it pretty easily.
I think it depends upon ones definition of "searched"

Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by JY1024
Is it this thread you were looking for? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-continue.html

(Actually found it by searching on the terms you used in your own thread title: {lifetime status} )
I rather like the new thread
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, DL, BA
There are always rumors, and it is understandable that someone that is close to achieving the status might be concerned.

As someone who flies only a handful of segments a year and did not start using BankDirect until this year, 1MM miles will take several years still so it is not as big of a concern.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by sts603
Honestly, it should be BIS miles like other airlines. I'm a 90% leisure travel EXP who switched over from US to AA on 1/1/07 and even with only sporadic use of my Citi card will likely be at 1MM by early to mid 2012.
Yes, but there are some key differences. On several, you can earn lifetime top-tier status (or at least you could at one time) and on others (UA is/was one, I believe) the 1mm BIS threshold got you mid-tier, vs 3rd-tier.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by JumboD
Yes, but there are some key differences. On several, you can earn lifetime top-tier status (or at least you could at one time) and on others (UA is/was one, I believe) the 1mm BIS threshold got you mid-tier, vs 3rd-tier.
This is a long thread, and this thought has probably been brought up before.

As long as AA keeps sticker upgrades for PLTs and GLDs, and does not shift to UDUs for all elites, like the other legacies, I think we'll see lifetime status stay in place as is. I see the two -- Lifetime Status by any and all miles earned and UDUs -- as conflicting perks.

Mainly, for low-frequency flyers making status primarily by lifetime miles, they're not really doing any detriment to the program.

Sure, a few more people to clog up priority access and priority standby, but they're not really stealing upgrades for free. They still have to buy stickers or earn them by flying like the EQM-based PLTs and GLDs. AA pays out a few more bonus miles and loses some bag fees, but I gains significant loyalty and ticket revenue from non-frequent flyers, and possibly 500mile sticker revenue. If LT elites are willing to pay for stickers, then good on AA - that's a great revenue source. Current elites aren't hurt that much from the policy, and AA gains from it. Its probably a very worthwhile proposition for AA, and the minor harm to other elites doesn't justify canceling. Swelling of elite ranks isn't a concern. You could have a million PLTs on paper - it doesn't make a difference if they don't fly a lot and earned it through other sources.

If AA were to switch to UDUs for all elites, it would be a different story entirely. That would really impact other frequent-flyer elites, as tangible upgrades disappear. AA also loses the revenue on sticker sales.

I don't think we'll see a change in the currently LT program unless we see a change in the upgrade program. If we do, its probably a poor business decision on AA's part.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:25 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by awpeters
I don't think we'll see a change in the currently LT program unless we see a change in the upgrade program.
Can I take the other side of that bet?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
I have been 360 miles short of 1M for over a week now. Come on Avis or HHonors, post something!

Flying Sunday, in any event . . .
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by diaspora04
I have been 360 miles short of 1M for over a week now. Come on Avis or HHonors, post something!

Flying Sunday, in any event . . .
Umm...and now back to our regularly scheduled program.

If the UGU/sticker program does change, I don't see it inherently ties to the alteration of the LT program. But, I don't think the same vice-versa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.