FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1120445-speculation-how-long-do-you-think-1m-2m-lifetime-status-will-continue.html)

godlovesugly Aug 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

I know no one is a seer, but I recently got into this scene and it sounds awesome. I fly for leisure right now, about 20k-40k miles a year, will soon have a job that will occasionally require travel, have the SPG Amex, and with the Citi AA card bonus I feel that I have a good start. My only concern is that the lifetime status won't be available, or that it will require BIS miles by the time I achieve 1m.

I read the lifetime status threads, and there have been rumors of discontinuation for awhile. Anyone have more substantiated reasons to believe in its imminent demise or have educated guesses how much time I have? Also, if anyone thinks that getting lifetime status in the time it would take me would not be helpful (because AA may dissolve, or change the program, etc...) I would love to know. Your wisdom and knowledge > mine :-p.

Thanks!

The Mileage Millionaire Aug 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by godlovesugly (Post 14553636)
I know no one is a seer, but I recently got into this scene and it sounds awesome. I fly for leisure right now, about 20k-40k miles a year, will soon have a job that will occasionally require travel, have the SPG Amex, and with the Citi AA card bonus I feel that I have a good start. My only concern is that the lifetime status won't be available, or that it will require BIS miles by the time I achieve 1m.

I read the lifetime status threads, and there have been rumors of discontinuation for awhile. Anyone have more substantiated reasons to believe in its imminent demise or have educated guesses how much time I have? Also, if anyone thinks that getting lifetime status in the time it would take me would not be helpful (because AA may dissolve, or change the program, etc...) I would love to know. Your wisdom and knowledge > mine :-p.

Thanks!

Time is running VERY short before the program changes. It certainly won't be ending anytime soon. Read here:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...t=2996&page=12

brp Aug 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea (Post 14553678)
Time is running VERY short. Read here:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...t=2996&page=12

Whoa, Whoa, WHOA! Let's not make unfounded claims. The information from the link you posted (probably the most authoritative information publicly available) says nothing of the sort. Some sort of change is likely coming soon, but there's no evidence of an elimination.

Cheers.

videomaker Aug 26, 2010 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 14553706)
Let's not make unfounded claims.

But isn't this FT? :D

dayone Aug 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Whoa, Whoa, WHOA! Let's not make unfounded claims. The information from the link you posted (probably the most authoritative information publicly available) says nothing of the sort. Some sort of change is likely coming soon, but there's no evidence of an elimination.

Cheers.

I agree. No reason to harsh the awesome scene.

Changes are coming but the program will almost certainly remain. One compelling reason is that other programs are burnishing their own MM offerings.

godlovesugly Aug 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 14553766)
I agree. No reason to harsh the awesome scene.

Changes are coming but the program will almost certainly remain. One compelling reason is that other programs are burnishing their own MM offerings.

The link given earlier suggests that if you aren't imminently going to achieve 1m/2m that it is not worth trying. I can't reach 1m for a few years unless I really focused on it, should I not attempt it?

The Mileage Millionaire Aug 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Cheers.

Sorry, I didn't mean elimination of the MM program, just the end of the system where everything counts towards PTD miles.

chanp Aug 26, 2010 8:21 pm

I hope for at least another year, Ill almost to 2MM.

mishugana Aug 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea (Post 14553978)
Sorry, I didn't mean elimination of the MM program, just the end of the system where everything counts towards PTD miles.

What will count towards ptd ?

dayone Aug 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Time to dust off the Magic 8 Ball.

rrgg Aug 26, 2010 8:48 pm

AC just announced a new lifetime program and others seem to be getting more attention. I'd guess we'd see more programs not fewer.

Summary of other lifetime status programs:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/theglo...irline-status/

sharklover Aug 26, 2010 8:51 pm

I could really see AA making a change as they now made gold much more valuable than it used to be.

godlovesugly Aug 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by sharklover (Post 14554134)
I could really see AA making a change as they now made gold much more valuable than it used to be.

How/when did they do that? Sorry in advance for the ignorance. :)

sharklover Aug 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by godlovesugly (Post 14554178)
How/when did they do that? Sorry in advance for the ignorance. :)

They made it more valuable by giving you free bags and also when they started priority access.

Gamecock Aug 26, 2010 9:11 pm

I think it is safe to say that the program will change to a BIS-only model the day I reach 950K miles.