Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

I know no one is a seer, but I recently got into this scene and it sounds awesome. I fly for leisure right now, about 20k-40k miles a year, will soon have a job that will occasionally require travel, have the SPG Amex, and with the Citi AA card bonus I feel that I have a good start. My only concern is that the lifetime status won't be available, or that it will require BIS miles by the time I achieve 1m.

I read the lifetime status threads, and there have been rumors of discontinuation for awhile. Anyone have more substantiated reasons to believe in its imminent demise or have educated guesses how much time I have? Also, if anyone thinks that getting lifetime status in the time it would take me would not be helpful (because AA may dissolve, or change the program, etc...) I would love to know. Your wisdom and knowledge > mine :-p.

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:56 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
I know no one is a seer, but I recently got into this scene and it sounds awesome. I fly for leisure right now, about 20k-40k miles a year, will soon have a job that will occasionally require travel, have the SPG Amex, and with the Citi AA card bonus I feel that I have a good start. My only concern is that the lifetime status won't be available, or that it will require BIS miles by the time I achieve 1m.

I read the lifetime status threads, and there have been rumors of discontinuation for awhile. Anyone have more substantiated reasons to believe in its imminent demise or have educated guesses how much time I have? Also, if anyone thinks that getting lifetime status in the time it would take me would not be helpful (because AA may dissolve, or change the program, etc...) I would love to know. Your wisdom and knowledge > mine :-p.

Thanks!
Time is running VERY short before the program changes. It certainly won't be ending anytime soon. Read here:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...t=2996&page=12

Last edited by The Mileage Millionaire; Aug 27, 2010 at 7:32 am
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Time is running VERY short. Read here:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...t=2996&page=12
Whoa, Whoa, WHOA! Let's not make unfounded claims. The information from the link you posted (probably the most authoritative information publicly available) says nothing of the sort. Some sort of change is likely coming soon, but there's no evidence of an elimination.

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by brp
Let's not make unfounded claims.
But isn't this FT?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brp
Whoa, Whoa, WHOA! Let's not make unfounded claims. The information from the link you posted (probably the most authoritative information publicly available) says nothing of the sort. Some sort of change is likely coming soon, but there's no evidence of an elimination.

Cheers.
I agree. No reason to harsh the awesome scene.

Changes are coming but the program will almost certainly remain. One compelling reason is that other programs are burnishing their own MM offerings.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
I agree. No reason to harsh the awesome scene.

Changes are coming but the program will almost certainly remain. One compelling reason is that other programs are burnishing their own MM offerings.
The link given earlier suggests that if you aren't imminently going to achieve 1m/2m that it is not worth trying. I can't reach 1m for a few years unless I really focused on it, should I not attempt it?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:16 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Sorry, I didn't mean elimination of the MM program, just the end of the system where everything counts towards PTD miles.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I hope for at least another year, Ill almost to 2MM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Sorry, I didn't mean elimination of the MM program, just the end of the system where everything counts towards PTD miles.
What will count towards ptd ?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Time to dust off the Magic 8 Ball.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:48 pm

AC just announced a new lifetime program and others seem to be getting more attention. I'd guess we'd see more programs not fewer.

Summary of other lifetime status programs:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/theglo...irline-status/

Last edited by rrgg; Aug 27, 2010 at 7:40 am
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
I could really see AA making a change as they now made gold much more valuable than it used to be.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharklover
I could really see AA making a change as they now made gold much more valuable than it used to be.
How/when did they do that? Sorry in advance for the ignorance.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
How/when did they do that? Sorry in advance for the ignorance.
They made it more valuable by giving you free bags and also when they started priority access.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I think it is safe to say that the program will change to a BIS-only model the day I reach 950K miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.