Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It seems like it's in AA's interest to keep the program as-is.

For years, it has caused me to use AA's partners whenever I'm in a position to choose and the typical product bundle is going to include some airline's miles. iDine and flowers are two examples...if I use FTD, I can either accept 20% off the price (usually) or I can accept airline miles. I nearly always pay the extra 25%, purchasing AA miles.

With iDine, I figure 5-8% of my meal's cost is for miles. I accept AA miles for these transactions as well.

It's all because of the lifetime levels - AA partner miles are more valuable than UA partner miles. (Both are more valuable than of the other programs in the U.S.)

So I'm driving incremental revenue to AA to get to 1MM/2MM - and then I'm likely to give them incremental revenue in the form of choosing AA over the competition for travel.

Why would they kill this off? It would make no sense.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by izzik
What percent of AA's flyers (or even % of elite members) are xMM? Very, very small I imagine.. why would AA impact their long-time customers this way? Is it worth it?

Yes, xMM can be achieved via lots of point accrual w/o flying but that represents a microscopic proportion of AAdvantage members.
Perhaps more importantly, if someone has achieved status through heavy credit card use, but hardly flies, does it matter if they have elite status? If they fly a lot, they would earn status the regular way. If they hardly fly, then they are taking very little from other elite members or AA by having status.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jlsw7
If they hardly fly, then they are taking very little from other elite members or AA by having status.
I agree with that being the general case -- excepting what it means in terms of handling during peak vacation travel routes/dates/times -- for AA elites.

However, in comparison to what it does to other elite members, changes in this area probably have at least as much or more to do with what it does to AA.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grlmopz
Additionally, I have 80K MR points
Those can't easily be transferred to AA.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
It seems like it's in AA's interest to keep the program as-is.

For years, it has caused me to use AA's partners whenever I'm in a position to choose and the typical product bundle is going to include some airline's miles. iDine and flowers are two examples...if I use FTD, I can either accept 20% off the price (usually) or I can accept airline miles. I nearly always pay the extra 25%, purchasing AA miles.

With iDine, I figure 5-8% of my meal's cost is for miles. I accept AA miles for these transactions as well.

It's all because of the lifetime levels - AA partner miles are more valuable than UA partner miles. (Both are more valuable than of the other programs in the U.S.)

So I'm driving incremental revenue to AA to get to 1MM/2MM - and then I'm likely to give them incremental revenue in the form of choosing AA over the competition for travel.

Why would they kill this off? It would make no sense.
Why? Perhaps for the same reason DL killed this off years ago. And if it made so much sense to have things the way AA does it, why haven't the other airline sheep followed (back) AA in this regard?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jlsw7
Perhaps more importantly, if someone has achieved status through heavy credit card use, but hardly flies, does it matter if they have elite status? If they fly a lot, they would earn status the regular way. If they hardly fly, then they are taking very little from other elite members or AA by having status.
Not to mention that someone making 2mm miles PLT lifetime would need to charge $200K per year for ten years to get there. I wouls assume that there are very few people out there running that kind of money through a credit card each year.

AA probably realizes that most of the miles are BIS or double RDMs from flying for PLT/EXPs.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I agree with that being the general case -- excepting what it means in terms of handling during peak vacation travel routes/dates/times -- for AA elites.
Actually, on peak vacation routes/times, it seems like there are far fewer elites on the plane than on my usual flights. I've generally received quality customer service from AA during vacation-period irrops - both in my "real" Plat years and as a 1MM Gold.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why? Perhaps for the same reason DL killed this off years ago. And if it made so much sense to have things the way AA does it, why haven't the other airline sheep followed (back) AA in this regard?
I don't fly DL enough to know myself - do you know why they killed it off?

I personally find DL partner miles worth less because I find Skyteam and DL's redemption difficulties worth less, so I can't honestly say I'm choosing AA over DL just because of MM levels. (Although for 5,000 miles per Marriott night, I've been happily accepting some DL this summer.)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't fly DL enough to know myself - do you know why they killed it off?

I personally find DL partner miles worth less because I find Skyteam and DL's redemption difficulties worth less, so I can't honestly say I'm choosing AA over DL just because of MM levels. (Although for 5,000 miles per Marriott night, I've been happily accepting some DL this summer.)
I don't know why DL killed it off, but DL management must have had their reasons to kill it off or it would still be happening like it does currently with AA.

DL management killed it off years before NW and KL joined up with SkyTeam.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Exactly. If I were EXP for life, I'd have little incentive to fly a full 100K miles each year. I could fly 50K and still be EXP,with all of the benefits. I'd certainly not be the sort of person that AA would want to give EXP to (as if I were now ). With GLD and PLT, there's not nearly as much given away, and there's incentive for EXP. Definitely no business reason (and AA are a business, after all) to grant LT EXP.

Cheers.
I disagree--what else is new?
How about lifetime EXP at some major threshold such as 5mm or 10mm miles.
If AA feels credit cards are not as important than limit it to miles flown only--but this is to reward loyal fliers that have been with AA for years and to make it an incentive to fliers that are with AA now.
If the reward system did not work than why is AA doing it at all?
That is because it works--and it works best with the people that fly the most and are the most loyal.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by Gamecock
I think it is safe to say that the program will change to a BIS-only model the day I reach 950K miles.
I agree with this assessment and I hold to it and avoid the agony of speculation.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It's being rumored more actively than usual that the MM program will end late this year. I don't know, either way. However, if this is the case, you can't make 1MM by then.

If it isn't the case, you don't have to make 1MM by then.

Either way, business as usual. No need for heroic measures.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by vail
I disagree--what else is new?
How about lifetime EXP at some major threshold such as 5mm or 10mm miles.
If AA feels credit cards are not as important than limit it to miles flown only--but this is to reward loyal fliers that have been with AA for years and to make it an incentive to fliers that are with AA now.
If the reward system did not work than why is AA doing it at all?
That is because it works--and it works best with the people that fly the most and are the most loyal.
Sitting in the AC at LAX, will cross 4.9 MM on the way to STL this afternoon. Nice to dream about lifetime EXP at 5.0 MM, but I doubt it will ever happen!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Daze
I agree with this assessment and I hold to it and avoid the agony of speculation.
^

As a recent convert to the FT mindset of accumulating miles, I will continue to do just that on AA.

If AA changes the rules, I will still have the miles to take a couple of nice trips on QANTAS, British Airways or Cathay Pacific.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by grlmopz
Hi all,

I'm in the process of deciding if million mile lifetime Gold status on AA is a worthwhile goal to pursue.

I currently have 360K miles, with another 110K in the pipeline. Additionally, I have 80K MR points and 150K Starwood points. If I were to transfer all of these into AA miles today, I'd be about 265K miles shy of a million.
My recommendation would be to use the Starwood points for hotel stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.