Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: How long do you think the 1m/2m lifetime status will continue?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Wow...I'm surprised this thread still has legs. Maybe we should start an Oct 15 rumor now?

If we start an infinite number of rumors, then one will be right!!
There is a mention of the dates 10/15, 10/31 and 12/31 somewhere here if you look hard enough. Of course 12/31 is always the most popular every year, followed by something like "it is no secret AA is dissatisfied with the current MM program" or "AA is reevaluating the MM program".
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Well my personal elevation makes it look like the Oct 1st date almost has the final nail on the coffin. I was at 2004700 on 9/29. I called on Oct 04. They said the system confirms LT PLT. My 4 SWU appeared today with the detail line of:
"2 Million Miler Oct 03, 2010". First doc I have on my new status with respect to the undocumented MM program, 2MM level, I will feel better when I get the official email and new card with the words saying LT PLT or equiv.

Nice to finally have that detail line visible on my PLT level account.
Where do you see this? I was at 2M on 9/29 and still do not have SWUs or any documented notation about it.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:11 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Nah, it's Oct 13. Mark your calendar
Hey, that's my birthday!

Greg
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by timbre
Where do you see this? I was at 2M on 9/29 and still do not have SWUs or any documented notation about it.
Log in then select the view my upgrades tab. They should be there. That is the only place I can see them.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Wow, this thread may establish a record for speculative content and off topic posts... but the post regarding new BAEC miles and Tier Points has been relocated for members' information to the Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharges (Oct 1, 2010) thread.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Log in then select the view my upgrades tab. They should be there. That is the only place I can see them.
Did you have to call to get them to do this or did it automatically appear? For some reason this did not happen to my account.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Did you have to call to get them to do this or did it automatically appear? For some reason this did not happen to my account.
It will happen automatically.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:59 pm

On Monday they said within 48 hours. They posted automatically overnight.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a mention of the dates 10/15, 10/31 and 12/31 somewhere here if you look hard enough. Of course 12/31 is always the most popular every year, followed by something like "it is no secret AA is dissatisfied with the current MM program" or "AA is reevaluating the MM program".
As I recall, the latest round of activity in this thread (after a long lull) started recently with someone (on another website) counting six months from some notice (about 5.5 months ago) apparently within AA telling agents to only proactively mention lifetime status to people who were likely to complete it within six months. Somehow that "in October it'll be 6 months from then" morphed into specifically Oct 1, but apparently for no other reason than the tie-in to the TATL announcement and/or "rounding error".

The "6 months from then" has no hard date, because no one has a record of exactly when that announcement stopped being circulated within AA, just a record of about the last time it was known to be used.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:35 pm

The correct date is forecast in the Mayan calendar if you look closely. No secret there.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:35 pm

Belgian fries with your thread sir???:

Browsing through my bestiary of ff book marks I found a live one that still docs, in a tangental way the million miler program:

http://www.aa.com/intl/be/agency/par...lyerAccrue.jsp

Its all that is left now that the Irish site took down their mention of it some year back.

Quote of note from the same:

"Members must requalify each calendar year for each status. Membership year: 1Mar-28Feb (following year)

Executive Platinum members who do not requalify for Executive Platinum status for the next membership year will be given Platinum status for 1 year. Platinum members who do not requalify, except for 2 Million Milers, will revert to Gold status even if they did not meet the qualification criteria for Gold. Gold members who do not requalify, except for Million Milers, will revert to regular AAdvantage status "

Note this page is dated and as of Oct 01 has some very inaccurate info. But, now ya can't say that the program is totally undocumented.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As much as I like to make fun of this thread, I'll admit one thing: when I was closing in on 1MM a few years ago, I was lurking this board all the time looking for new partner promos, etc. And, of course, I stumbled upon that year's version of "AA is about to discontinue 1MM/2MM!!" No question, it nudged me along faster. I seem to recall it was early in a year, so the natural rumor that had traction was "On March 1st, 1MM/2MM is being canceled for good."

I forget which year it was...early part of the 00's.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pushed through some Starwood points as a transfer (with no promo other than the 5K bonus for 20K) just based on the rumor.

AA gets a nice windfall each time this comes up, with everyone jamming through some extra points.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
As much as I like to make fun of this thread, I'll admit one thing: when I was closing in on 1MM a few years ago, I was lurking this board all the time looking for new partner promos, etc. And, of course, I stumbled upon that year's version of "AA is about to discontinue 1MM/2MM!!" No question, it nudged me along faster. I seem to recall it was early in a year, so the natural rumor that had traction was "On March 1st, 1MM/2MM is being canceled for good."

I forget which year it was...early part of the 00's.
Yeah, I too was a bit on edge when closing in on 1MM a few years back. Now I'm sitting at 1,918,839 and all this talk is making me consider dumping enough points into my account to push me over. I was planning/expecting to hit 2MM naturally just after the new year to stretch out the life of the SWUs, but obviously lifetime PLT is more valuable than a few system wide upgrades. Since my personal opinion is they won't do away with the LT program I'm thinking I might split the difference...get close to 2MM without going over. Worst case (again imho) if they start a BIS counter in the next 3 months I'll make it the rest of the way with a few flights.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
lifetime PLT is more valuable than a few system wide upgrades
More accurately, it's a choice between 1) certainty of Lifetime Plat immediately and SWUs that expire earlier, or 2) probability of Lifetime Plat later and SWUs that expire a year later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.