Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by emilygrx
I wonder – if BA moves from T7 to T8 at JFK, would they build new BA lounges in the terminal or would they share lounge space with AA (like Quantas at LAX)? I have a suspicion that to save money they would go for the latter strategy but the idea of having access to a BA F lounge at T8 in JFK has lots of appeal
No, they will not share lounges. They won't even share check-in space.

The proposal involves BA building its own annex to the terminal with its own lounges and check-in facilities. The annex will obviously be connected to the current facility behind security.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold
What I think will probably happen is that the current Checkin Hall will be expanded if at all and BA and AA will have their own Check In "Islands". Behind security they will expand the length of the Int'l concourse from Gate 16 towards the JFK Expway. This will add a good # of gates and all above that new extension will be space for their lounges. I dont see that much of a major reconfiguration of Terminal 8. And if the the new alliance goes through there is no need to have BA Specific gates as most gates could be used by either airline.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
How would this shuttle work? It would have to be a bus to go back and forth airside between T7 and T8.
There used to be such a shuttle a few years ago; I used it a couple of times when connecting BDL-JFK-HKG on AA/CX. I think it stopped after 9/11.

Presumably, if BA does move to an expanded T8, CX would move with them? That would be good too.

Happy Travels.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:07 am

Looks like JL may also move to JFK T8, from T1:

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/42744.cfm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
While on the topic, any news of co-locating the other OW carriers into either T5-8 so they are closer together? Just did a simple wikipedia search of all the OW carriers @ JFK and got the following:

Terminal 8
American, Finnair, Mexicana, (and formerly Malev as well)

Terminal 7
British Airways, Cathay, Iberia, Qantas

Terminal 5
B6

Terminal 4
LAN, Royal Jordanian

Terminal 3
JAL
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:13 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi
While on the topic, any news of co-locating the other OW carriers into either T5-8 so they are closer together? Just did a simple wikipedia search of all the OW carriers @ JFK and got the following:

Terminal 8
American, Finnair, Mexicana, (and formerly Malev as well)

Terminal 7
British Airways, Cathay, Iberia, Qantas

Terminal 5
B6

Terminal 4
LAN, Royal Jordanian

Terminal 3
JAL
JAL is not located in Terminal 3 @ JFK. They are in Terminal 1
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by kebosabi
all the OW carriers @ JFK
Terminal 5
B6
Wishful thinking! B6 isn't a OneWorld carrier, despite the recent interline agreement with AA.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Am I the only one who sees it as a strategic mistake to give up OW control of T7?

Jamming everyone into T8 will only guarantee two things. First that any future AA growth will be constrained at JFK, and second DL will eventually get more room to expand.

Both AA/BA need to propose a permanent link between T7-T8 that allows for efficient transfers.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HNL
JAL is not located in Terminal 3 @ JFK. They are in Terminal 1
Correct! JL never been in DL terminal 2/3 and only where JL is in the terminal 1. It is too overcrowded in the DL terminal 2/3 and does not have enough the space due to the congestions.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Remember that BA was one of the initial sponsors of the T8, and that they have a lease which is up in 2015. T8 hasn't yet been completely built-out; that won't be done until the old terminal is completely demolished. I wonder about total capacity based on the original plan...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by GaryD
Looks like JL may also move to JFK T8, from T1:

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/42744.cfm
Your link doesn't open for me, but I would STRONGLY question the validity of this information for a whole bunch of reasons:

-- JAL has an equity investment in T1; who do you suggest would buy it from them (assuming, of course, that the other airlines in T1 would let JAL pick its replacement)? AF might want KL, but why would LH want them? LH might want LX or others from *A, but why would AF want them? Korean Airlines wouldn't want another East Asian airline. OW wouldn't want QF there. etc., etc., etc. Maybe Emirates would be a good match -- but only if T1 can handle multiple A380s...

-- JAL would still need to provide the same staff (primarily "speakers") for customer-facing positions in T8, but without the same degree of control over its facilities. OTOH, in T1, there isn't as much overlap with the other tenants, giving JAL greater control over customer experience.

-- Inter-terminal connections at JFK aren't as difficult as at places like LHR or SYD. Yes, you have to go landside to get the AirTrain -- but in reality, it's not that much more complex than taking the bus at LHR, and it's a lot quicker & easier! Since most international carriers are O&D-reliant for premium passengers at JFK, they like their own terminals.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF
Your link doesn't open for me, but I would STRONGLY question the validity of this information for a whole bunch of reasons:

-- JAL has an equity investment in T1; who do you suggest would buy it from them (assuming, of course, that the other airlines in T1 would let JAL pick its replacement)? AF might want KL, but why would LH want them? LH might want LX or others from *A, but why would AF want them? Korean Airlines wouldn't want another East Asian airline. OW wouldn't want QF there. etc., etc., etc. Maybe Emirates would be a good match -- but only if T1 can handle multiple A380s...
The relevant portions of the article:

LOS ANGELES, April 9 Kyodo - Japan Airlines Corp. President Masaru Onishi on Wednesday ruled out the possibility of the carrier streamlining its loss-making international routes by solely specializing in Asia.

The president also said he will ''positively consider'' transferring passenger terminals for JAL arrivals and departures at airports in London, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.

American Airlines Inc. and British Airways plc -- which belong to the same global oneworld alliance as JAL -- have proposed the moves to make it easier for passengers to transfer between the flights of JAL and the aviation alliance's members.

Onishi spoke with Kyodo News during a visit to Los Angeles to attend a gathering of oneworld executives. (Kyodo)

----------

As I suggested upthread, let DL buy out JL and LH in T1, and let LH buy out BA in T7.

Win Win Win!

Your annoying seatmate,
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Hilton UA Hyatt
Why can't I find additional JFK-LAS flights?

Totally Random question with respect to this announcement, but I'm doing a search for JFK to LAS routes from November onward -- per the announcement -- and I don't see any additional flights. Am I getting tied up in symantics here, saying they'll "increase frequency" which means they'll connect better to LAS from JFK via ORD/DFW, or will they add an additional flight to the 4:50 pm flight they already have set up? If so, historically, when do those reservations become available online? I have assumed since this announcement the # of direct flights would increase by 1. Is this not the case?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JFKLGA30
Totally Random question with respect to this announcement, but I'm doing a search for JFK to LAS routes from November onward -- per the announcement -- and I don't see any additional flights. Am I getting tied up in symantics here, saying they'll "increase frequency" which means they'll connect better to LAS from JFK via ORD/DFW, or will they add an additional flight to the 4:50 pm flight they already have set up? If so, historically, when do those reservations become available online? I have assumed since this announcement the # of direct flights would increase by 1. Is this not the case?

Thanks for the help.
Not all the additions have been loaded yet.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:00 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by CO FF

-- JAL has an equity investment in T1; who do you suggest would buy it from them (assuming, of course, that the other airlines in T1 would let JAL pick its replacement)? .
An equity investment doesn't mean that the airline is mandated to be in T1.

JAL is absolutely planning to move to T8, as is British Airways, and that is despite the fact that British Airways owns T7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.