Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by r415
And don't forget the whole western half of the country. JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO work, but most of the flights coming in from Europe come too late to make a connection at JFK and still arrive on the west coast on the same day, despite benefit of the time difference.
Check your schedules. All the European arrivals (except the two late LHR and CDG flights) arrive in time to connect to SAN, SFO, LAX, LAS and SEA (as well as soon AUS, TPA, the new later MCO, FLL, etc.).
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill
Is it? I don't think there's been any announcement about this partnership that's significant news (positive or negative) for NYC fliers. The JetBlue press release is clearest:
I had been under the impression that the partnership was supposed to help AA compete better with DL/CO in the NYC marketplace. Nobody who lives in the NYC marketplace is going to be connecting between B6 and AA, so unless you can book stand-alone B6 flights as AA codeshares (e.g., JFK-SLC), or can earn AAdvantage points on B6-marketed flights as well, I don't see any benefit for NYC fliers.

Which doesn't make any sense, and thus I'm sure there's more to it than we know right now.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Not true.
Yes, true. Read what you quoted from my post again, or read ashill's recent post.

Canada and UK's immigration and checkpoint system is pretty much similar to ours: same redundant and doofus TSA like security, no passport checks or exit stamps to leave Canada, direct secure areas feeding into Canadian immigration and customs control from international flights, yet they have an efficient system for ITI passengers without the stupidity of all deplaning passengers to enter Canada and collect their bags to recheck. For many, flying NRT-YVR-MEX is much more easier than flying NRT-LAX-MEX because of this; Canada does not require passengers ongoing to an international destination to enter Canada, they can remain in a sterile zone by just following signs that says "international transit passengers." Without the need to wait in long lines or waiting for bags to come, ITI in Canada is much more smoother than any of all the mishaps that may happen when transiting in the US.
All I know about I-to-I transit in Canada is that F/J passengers on CX's HKG-YVR-JFK are not able to access the CX lounge while in transit and must remain in a holding pen. That doesn't seem so great to me either.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Glad to see Phoenix made the list ^
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:12 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Slots will be swapped, as well. The initially reported eight AA slot-pairs at Reagan National (DCA) in Washington will indeed be transferred to JetBlue. In addition, jetBlue will receive one slot-pair at White Plains (HPN), while handing over 12 JFK slot-pairs to American.

I'm waiting for Parker Brothers to come out with "Monopoly--The Airline Edition"
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:00 pm

Trying to re-rail the thread...

I have to travel from NYC to RSW in early October. Obviously I can do something via MIA, and even ORD and DFW if I want, but I'd be thrilled to go JFK-RSW on B6 if I can get AA EQM's (if I can't, I do it on AA for sure).

What should I do? I need to book within the next week (company rules, sigh), but would hate to miss out on some miles.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:25 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by jfernandez
Trying to re-rail the thread...

I have to travel from NYC to RSW in early October. Obviously I can do something via MIA, and even ORD and DFW if I want, but I'd be thrilled to go JFK-RSW on B6 if I can get AA EQM's (if I can't, I do it on AA for sure).

What should I do? I need to book within the next week (company rules, sigh), but would hate to miss out on some miles.

Thoughts?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

My impression from the releases thus far, and I may be wrong, is that codeshares will only be offered for specific B6-AA connecting flights and not otherwise for B6 flights. Also, it is not clear that EQMs will be earned, all the releases say are "miles".

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americ....html?x=0&.v=1
American and JetBlue also announced today that they have agreed to begin a frequent flyer relationship later this year. Members of American's AAdvantage® program and JetBlue's TrueBlue® customer loyalty program will be able to earn AAdvantage miles or TrueBlue points, respectively, when they fly only on the cooperative interline routes listed below.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dstan
My impression from the releases thus far, and I may be wrong, is that codeshares will only be offered for specific B6-AA connecting flights and not otherwise for B6 flights. Also, it is not clear that EQMs will be earned, all the releases say are "miles".

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americ....html?x=0&.v=1
While codeshares may be in the cards well down the line, for now the relationship is an interline agreement, not a codeshare. I suspect that a codeshare with any domestic carrier (besides the AS codeshare agreement) would require the consent of the AA pilots. And I agree that any miles (for now) will be RDMs, not EQMs.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfernandez

The AA-B6 agreement will allow interline connections between AA international flights and certain B6 domestic flights at BOS and JFK. As your trip is wholly domestic, the interline agreement offers you nothing. Book the trip with AA (and that will be on AA metal) if you want EQMs and book with B6 (on B6 metal, of course) if you want B6 points/miles/whatevers.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:56 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
While codeshares may be in the cards well down the line, for now the relationship is an interline agreement, not a codeshare. I suspect that a codeshare with any domestic carrier (besides the AS codeshare agreement) would require the consent of the AA pilots. And I agree that any miles (for now) will be RDMs, not EQMs.
Sorry, thanks for the clarification & correction on the terminology!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:12 pm
Suspended

I have a roundtrip flight coming up in late August on on of the "approved" jetblue routes. will i be able to get AA miles for the flight?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "frequent flyer relationship" doesn't begin until "later this year" per the press release.

So probably not, but not definitely not.

And even when it happens, the details of the "frequent flyer relationship" have not been disclosed, and it's quite possible that a plain old ticket on a JetBlue flight will not let you earn AAdvantage points.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
AA/Jetblue negotiating Codeshare Agreement

"We are negotiating, working towards perhaps a code-share in the future," Art Torno, American's vice president for New York told TheStreet. He emphasized that no agreement has been reached so far.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10836...cm_ven=GOOGLEN
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking up minimum connection times for JFK, and from what they published there it looks like the B6 destinations where interline with international AA flights will be available are going to be ACK BTV BUF DEN RSW HOU JAX MSY PBI PDX PHX PWM RIC ROC SLC SRQ SYR IAD.

The fares to allow this have not been filed yet, however the capability to issue interline electronic tickets has been turned on with both carriers.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

update: the same cities as above are available through BOS.

Also, the minimum connecting time is:
* JFK
....... B6 domestic to AA international 1:15
....... AA international to B6 domestic 1:45

* BOS
....... B6 domestic to AA international 1:00
....... AA international to B6 domestic 1:30

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.