Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bernardd
Though being pedantic, the real information is somewhat sparse, "Later this year, American's AAdvantageŽ members and JetBlue TrueBlueŽ members will be able to earn AAdvantage miles or TrueBlue points, respectively, when they fly on the cooperative flights listed below. More details to come."

I also see that Houston Hobby (HOU) is included in the list but not AUS. presumably because AA competes aggressively (my choice of words!) between AUS-JFK and AUS-BOS with their one ill-timed daily AUS-JFK roundtrip.
I wonder about the AUS flights as well. The B6 AUS flights are much better timed (the AA flight is timed only for international connections, really no good for domestic only pax), and AA no longer does a BOS direct from AUS.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
I wonder about the AUS flights as well. The B6 AUS flights are much better timed (the AA flight is timed only for international connections, really no good for domestic only pax), and AA no longer does a BOS direct from AUS.
Sadly it doesn't even do international connections very well - I don't think there's a connection to Europe that has less than a 3:15 layover, while you can only connect from one LHR service per day, and that after a long layover. GIG / GRU / EZE are even worse.

And as you say, whats the point of a non-stop to JFK that arrives at 2:30pm if you're going into Manhattan - by the time you arrive the day is shot, and you've basically lost a day travelling.

I've probably missed something, but can anyone see what this flight is actually trying to achieve?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Sadly it doesn't even do international connections very well - I don't think there's a connection to Europe that has less than a 3:15 layover, while you can only connect from one LHR service per day, and that after a long layover. GIG / GRU / EZE are even worse.

And as you say, whats the point of a non-stop to JFK that arrives at 2:30pm if you're going into Manhattan - by the time you arrive the day is shot, and you've basically lost a day travelling.

I've probably missed something, but can anyone see what this flight is actually trying to achieve?
Its clearly not after the domestic market though I'm sure it will get some domestic traffic for non-time sensitive leisure travelers. At least you'll clearly be there for dinner.

But I don't understand the fuss about the int'l connections. AA isn't trying to connect AUS to GRU and EZE via JFK. They have DFW. And with DFW-GIG, the same applies there now.

FCO is a 2:45 connection. MXP is 3:15. MAD is 3:10. BCN is 4:20. ZRH is 3:00. CDG is 3:15. BRU is 3:30. 9W to BRU/India is 3:40. Other code-share connections are in similar time slots.

I'll admit they could probably trim 20-30 minutes off the arrival time and BCN is a longish layover but what rationale traveler would want to fly through a busy international gateway (whether it be JFK, EWR, PHL, ATL or ORD) to a transatlantic flight with less than a 2:30 layover?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That's great news for NYC fliers!
Is it? I don't think there's been any announcement about this partnership that's significant news (positive or negative) for NYC fliers. The JetBlue press release is clearest:

Members of American’s AAdvantage program – the largest frequent flier program in the industry – and our TrueBlue program will be able to earn AAdvantage miles or TrueBlue points, respectively, when they fly only on the interline routes.
(Emphasis added.) This wording makes it seem like the AAdvantage earning is only on JetBlue interline flights connecting from AA international flights.

I don't mean to throw cold water on this, and as a non-NYC-based flier, I am excited about where this partnership might go in the future.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
FCO is a 2:45 connection. MXP is 3:15. MAD is 3:10. BCN is 4:20. ZRH is 3:00. CDG is 3:15. BRU is 3:30. 9W to BRU/India is 3:40. Other code-share connections are in similar time slots.
Sorry, I missed the FCO flight. I'm more used to looking at typical connections at DFW in the 1-1:30 range with afternoon departures from AUS to Europe.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Sorry, I missed the FCO flight. I'm more used to looking at typical connections at DFW in the 1-1:30 range with afternoon departures from AUS to Europe.
Admittedly, DFW is less delay prone than JFK. And in DFW, my experience is that when the weather gets bad, things are more uniformly delayed.

But even in DFW, I wouldn't chance a connection so short to an international flight.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:32 pm

Earn AAdvantage Miles on B6 Interline Routes

Looks like the relationship with JetBlue just got more cozy. Can't earn miles on too many routes but it's a start.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americ....html?x=0&.v=1

EDIT: Mods, just realized someone already posted this. Whoops.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:11 pm

But even in DFW, I wouldn't chance a connection so short to an international flight.
Sorry to disappoint but I've been doing it on and off for more than a decade with only one major problem I can remember. Ex-BOS however I used to get my plans badly disrupted at least once a year.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Sorry to disappoint but I've been doing it on and off for more than a decade with only one major problem I can remember. Ex-BOS however I used to get my plans badly disrupted at least once a year.
Its not a matter of disappointment. As I said, DFW is less prone than JFK to delays. Not sure if how often you do it to make a decision as to whether you are lucky or not. Doesn't really matter. All I said is that I would never want such a short Dom-Intl connection. But if I needed to do a 90 minute connection, my AA hubs of preference would be LAX>MIA>DFW>ORD>JFK.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
redundant post

Last edited by ESpen36; Jul 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Now why would you say that? I think the focus is on feeding international connections (both AA and OW) more than the NYC market but I don't see any basis for the allegation that they are place holders. More international and less domestic feed doesn't seem to be a winning formula either.

Okay, I suppose, but.....MCO/FLL? Really? Why does AA need more flights from its JFK Flagship International terminal to Disney? (=cheap leisure market) (why not just send the Kettles from LGA?)

I agree that these FLL/MCO flights appear to be placeholders until major international flights can begin. AA really needs to push overseas markets ex-JFK if it wants to compete with DL here.

If AA truly wanted to make JFK a major domestic-international-domestic connection point, there would be more JFK-ORD/DFW service (to feed traffic from AA's fortress hubs to JFK, which has niche international flights that neither hub offers, like ZRH/BCN). But there's barely any JFK-DFW/ORD at all, and no apparent plans to increase it.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Okay, I suppose, but.....MCO/FLL? Really? Why does AA need more flights from its JFK Flagship International terminal to Disney? (=cheap leisure market) (why not just send the Kettles from LGA?)
FLL is a huge local market to Europe.

I agree that these FLL/MCO flights appear to be placeholders until major international flights can begin. AA really needs to push overseas markets ex-JFK if it wants to compete with DL here.
Six new routes coming in 2011; five to Europe.

ATI changes everything.

If AA truly wanted to make JFK a major domestic-international-domestic connection point, there would be more JFK-ORD/DFW service (to feed traffic from AA's fortress hubs to JFK, which has niche international flights that neither hub offers, like ZRH/BCN). But there's barely any JFK-DFW/ORD at all, and no apparent plans to increase it.
DFW-Europe market is small; AA doesn't need more than what it has on JFK-DFW.

Not to mention Dallas/Chicago-Europe are well covered on AA's own non-stops and connections via Heathrow and Madrid.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: Grounded
C'mon AA, toss in JFK-SJC for AA mileage earning... Lord knows *nobody* competes with B6 on that route
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I want PWM. (From AUS. Which is out of scope of this agreement )
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36

And don't forget the whole western half of the country. JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO work, but most of the flights coming in from Europe come too late to make a connection at JFK and still arrive on the west coast on the same day, despite benefit of the time difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.