Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:11 am

On a pure speculative thought, did AA have the Dallas market in mind. I'm sure AA would like some control on keeping JetBlue out of DFW and Love. Wright is up in a few years and JetBlue has already voiced some concerns on the Love deal shutting other airlines out. Might be a way for AA to fly out of Dallas to JFK and JetBlue connection and keep JetBlue out of Dallas.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Globehopper
Whether this should be a new thread, or remain in this one, I for one am looking forward to an expanded AA Terminal 8 at JFK (which was only built to half the planned size) that is also connected to Terminal 7 airside.

This would greatly simplify AA to BA connections (assuming ATI) and finally allow AA customers to access the BA lounges!

A simple, automated people mover shuttle between the two terminals (spanning the JFK Expressway) with post security access on both ends would help. Initially, an airside bus connecting T8 to T7 and T5 could provide immediate benefits.
By my reading, the plans provide for BA eventually moving from T7 to T8, obviating the need for an airside transfer method:

"American Airlines and British Airways are currently evaluating a proposal by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to develop an expansion of the new state-of-the-art $1.3 billion international Terminal 8 to allow the airlines to co-locate their operations. Terminal 8 was designed by American expressly to meet the needs of modern customers traveling internationally, and the potential expansion and joint operation of the facility by American and British Airways would allow quick and easy customer connections from airline to airline. If agreeable financial terms can be reached with the Port, the potential co-location would benefit not only the airlines and their customers but the Port itself, which has been exploring various ways to expand JFK gate capacity."

I got it! LH to T7, JL also to T8, and DL to T1! T2 and T3 problem solved!

Oh yeah, New York. Fogettaboudit, makes too much sense.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuck till
If AA solves those problems and codeshares B6, I'm sure the preferred check-in question would be addressed.
I wouldn't be so sure. It's really complicated and expensive to buy a red (or bleu) carpet, re-configure a few tensa-barriers, and put a sign up on a counter saying "Premium Check-In".
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I wouldn't be so sure. It's really complicated and expensive to buy a red (or bleu) carpet, re-configure a few tensa-barriers, and put a sign up on a counter saying "Premium Check-In".
Actually, I think this might be *very* expensive for JetBlue from a goodwill standpoint. It's also fundamentally at odds with their corporate culture. WN may be no frills, but I think B6 is actively anti-elitist (whereas Virgin America embraces a sort of within-your-reach luxury). This sort of plebeian-plus feel is a major marketing draw of B6, which more than any other airline has positioned itself as a lifestyle brand.

Some kettle-friends with whom I recently flew on AA remarked how "elitist" the preferred elite boarding feels compared to B6. In spite of the fact that as my traveling companions could take advantage of my status, they all felt there was something a little off-putting about it -- and they remarked on their general resentment of elite perks when they were traveling on their own. I'm not sure B6 can get away with preferred boarding without alienating their core fan base, becoming just another airline. B6's management must know this, or they would've found a way to institute elite status already. It isn't as if B6 doesn't have its share of 50,000 mile+ travelers.

Last edited by ldpeters; Apr 1, 2010 at 4:26 pm
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ldpeters
Actually, I think this might be *very* expensive for JetBlue from a goodwill standpoint. It's also fundamentally at odds with their corporate culture. WN may be no frills, but I think B6 is actively anti-elitist (whereas Virgin America embraces a sort of within-your-reach luxury). This sort of plebeian-plus feel is a major marketing draw of B6, which more than any other airline has positioned itself as a lifestyle brand.

Some kettle-friends with whom I recently flew on AA remarked how "elitist" the preferred elite boarding feels compared to B6. In spite of the fact that as my traveling companions he and my other friends could take advantage of my status, they all felt there was something a little off-putting about it -- and they remarked on their general resentment of elite perks when they were traveling on their own. I'm not sure B6 can get away with preferred boarding without alienating their core fan base, becoming just another airline. B6's management must know this, or they would've found a way to institute elite status already. It isn't as if B6 doesn't have its share of 50,000 mile+ travelers.
I agree. One of the only work colleagues I've ever had real disagreements with remarked once at ATL boarding a flight to PIT that he was surprised that airlines still had first class since everything was supposed to be egalitarian. We were all non-statused on DL. Generally, people with that outlook (especially frequent fliers who still prefer a B6/WN) have an entirely different outlook on many aspects of life from us airline-status junkies. Its like mixing oil and water sometimes.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:41 pm

Anyone know which two RDU-LGA and LGA-RDU flights are being axed w/ the upgauge to CR7?

And, out of curiosity, are the CR7s on AA nicer than their ERJs? Only been on the DL CR7s, which I found better than the AA ERJs.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
I fly JFK-SFO. I'm AA Gold and I get my upgrades to clear.
Hey, that's great. On my last 3 JFK-SFO transcons, the only people clearing (at least at the airport) were exps. YMMV!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I wonder what the APA/APFA/TWU think about this move. I could see AA further reducing flying in BOS as a result of this. I'm sure the unions aren't happy.
As an APFA member I'm pleased. I'm glad AA management finally has a plan and is willing to fight DL for the NY market. I think Jet Blue was a brilliant move. In the current climate of airline mergers the thought of merging with the legacies that are left makes me want to vomit. The only one who wouldn't be terrible would be Continental and they have nothing really different that would benefit AA.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jet Blue but customers seem to like them AND if it came to a merger it wouldn't be the logistical nightmare merging with another legacy would be. If we didn't do anything to remain competitive there would be a ton more jobs lost than there could potentially be with the downsizing of the Boston and DC bases.

The additional routes gained in other places would probably offset shrinking or closing those bases. There are probably a lot of AA employees at those bases who started making evacuation plans after hearing the announcement.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by yuchung5
If AA expends this to all B6 network, this might reduce the chaos of the union strike.
No. The Jet Blue agreement doesn't begin until November.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by AAFA
No. The Jet Blue agreement doesn't begin until November.
Yeah, you have to wait for 6 months. So please be patience for awhile if they are approval to starting new codeshare partnership with B6.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Isn't this the same thing as this thread? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-airways.html
Yes, it is coming from DL forums. It doesn't have need to be merge this forums.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:25 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by AAFA
I'm glad AA management finally has a plan and is willing to fight DL for the NY market.
Me, too! ^
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:44 am

JetBlue and American do not have anti-trust! AA must act in its own best interests. It cannot discontinue routes just to please JetBlue, and visa-versa.
Originally Posted by chuck till
This has nothing to do with anti-trust. It has a lot to do, however, with reducing AA's ERJ usage and freeing up other slots at JFK. AA ERJs RDU-JFK are almost certainly unprofitable, given the price competition from B6 on the same route. AA does need a way for RDU pax to connect with JFK int'l flights, but B6 can do that. Anyone reading between the lines will see that the next shoe to drop will be a codeshare (possibly with B6 entry into OW).. after which B6 will take over the route entirely. It's only a question of when.
the mechanics of it have everything to do with anti-trust, as coordinating schedules/prices absent ATI is illegal and an open invitation to a lawsuit.

The strategy of it is very interesting, especially since DL and US have played their risky ultimatum gambit at DOT. It certainly keeps the pressure up on DL as the competitor whose JFK facilities are most decrepit.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
APFA Remarks on Jetblue Joint Venture

AMERICAN AIRLINES EXPANDS NEW YORK SERVICE

In a detailed news release and press conference on Wednesday morning, March 31, American announced major plans for expansion in the competitive New York City market, including additional flights from both LGA and JFK, further facilities improvements, slot swaps with JetBlue Airways and an interline/cooperative agreement with that carrier to feed passengers to and from each carrier’s flights in non-competing markets serving both New York and Boston. CEO Gerard Arpey framed the expansion as AA’s continuing and aggressively growing commitment to New York and its importance to American’s competitive position. His letter to employees and questions and answers on the numerous facets of the plan are available on Jetnet . The press release from AA can be found from the company’s media relations page .

How this might affect AA employees—and specifically our members—is of particular interest to APFA. In a comment on the company’s plans, President Laura Glading was quick to emphasize that though “in general, expansion is to be applauded—especially in light of the contraction we have experienced over several years—it is not going to occur at the expense of APFA members. We all want to see growth opportunities, but it must mean tangible growth and security for front line workers.”

Responding specifically to the planned interlining cooperation with JetBlue Airways, Glading commented: “The company feels this can lead to greatly increased passenger feed to and from American’s major New York and Boston domestic and international markets. If this indeed brings the expected projected revenue boost, this is good news for labor which has steadfastly supported American and is personally invested in its success and future.”

Members have questioned already how this all relates to the ongoing negotiations and the latest concessionary demands put forth by AA. Now is clearly time to achieve our goals and reap our full share of the revenue pie which American’s own top executive now touts as aggressively growing. This puts the entire scheme of management to extract more concessions from us to shame and exposes it as just another disingenuous delay tactic. The company’s future growth is not to be financed from the pockets of its employees, already picket clean. APFA does not stand for: AMR’s Project Funding Account. Our members have clearly spoken: the bank of APFA is closed. Now more than ever, it’s Our Turn.
I'm pleasantly surprised that the APFA has come to terms and realized action such as this can be beneficial to employees. However, Glading mentioned that they support it if and only if it does not occur at the expense of APFA members. They could have taken the approach the United AFA has taken over the new IAD-MAD service operated with non-union Aer Lingus crews.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
AA wants to expand the Admirals Club and its terminal at JFK only 5 years after it opened? Couldn't they have maybe planned a little better than this?

It didn't previously occur to them that they might want BA under the same roof?
No, BA was not an intended tenant when the new T-8 was designed. AA and BA had just flushed the first of their three ATI attempts when it became clear that the two airlines would have to divest too many slots at LHR. Around the same time as AA announced the new terminal, BA announced a $140 million renovation to its terminal.

When AA designed the new Terminal 8, it was to encompass 1.9 million square feet, contain 59 gates (41 large jet, 18 Eagle), two Admirals Clubs totaling 40k square feet, two arrivals lounges, two Platinum Business Centers and a 10k square foot lounge for use by other airlines.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/26/ny...l?pagewanted=1

This site contains some drawings of T-8 as originally envisioned:

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/jfk/

Of course, AA's plans were derailed in late 2001 and the terminal project was eventually downsized. The Admirals Clubs ended up being much smaller than planned, Platinum Business Centers were canceled and the 10k square foot lounge for other airlines was not built.

While it might be fair to fault AA for not proceeding full-steam-ahead with the origninal design for the terminal, I don't think it's fair to now criticize AA for rethinking that decision or for a lack of foresight in 1999. After all, AA and BA tried for ATI again after the new T-8 was announced which was again rejected because of the large number of slot divestitures required. Now, after receiving preliminary ATI approval, it makes sense to revisit the terminal locations of the participating carriers.

Originally Posted by Globehopper
Whether this should be a new thread, or remain in this one, I for one am looking forward to an expanded AA Terminal 8 at JFK (which was only built to half the planned size) that is also connected to Terminal 7 airside.

This would greatly simplify AA to BA connections (assuming ATI) and finally allow AA customers to access the BA lounges!

A simple, automated people mover shuttle between the two terminals (spanning the JFK Expressway) with post security access on both ends would help. Initially, an airside bus connecting T8 to T7 and T5 could provide immediate benefits.
I don't see any talk of connecting T-7 with T-8. This announcement is about BA possibly moving to an expanded T-8. As you mentioned, T-8 was built to just over half of its initially planned size, and now is the time to explore expanding it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.