Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I like the LGA/ATL on a CR7 with F. But for B6, even if the two went for a code share at some future point I'd take a flight on AA in F, even with a connection, over coach in B6.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I wonder what the APA/APFA/TWU think about this move. I could see AA further reducing flying in BOS as a result of this. I'm sure the unions aren't happy.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SK
According to the B6 Blog,

JetBlue be offering connecting service from the following cities:

Washington, D.C./Dulles (IAD)
The addition of RIC and IAD connections is welcome. The loss of 8 slots from DCA is not (esp. including DCA-JFK). Wonder what other destinations are being lost from DCA?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by dstan
• LGA-MSP - taking a run at DL/NW? (And sluggoaafa will be happy!)
I'd be happier if it was on mainline, and to JFK! This would definitely be a run on DL if they actually did MSP-JFK too, but one can only dream
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:26 am

The big deal with the JFK announcement is that AA becomes competitive in markets like ROC, SYR, PWM, BUF, BTV, RIC, ...

Before if I wanted to fly AA on say, ROC-MXP, I needed a separate ticket to JFK, and I had no protection if I misconnected. That wasn't a serious option compared to CO ROC-EWR-MXP or DL ROC-JFK-MXP.

Now, I can buy a single ticket ROC-JFK-MXP on B6/AA, get help when I misconnect, and avoid Colgan and EWR, and Comair's CRJs and DL's dire JFK terminals. Instead, I get a great Y product on B6, and two great terminals at JFK (AA's and B6's). Cost, forgoing a couple hundred miles each way, and having to go through security one extra time per trip at JFK (outbound, since on an international inbound you get rescreened no matter what). Seems worth it to me.

Combine with AA's increased service in upstate NY, and they move from an option nobody could rely on (3 daily ROC-ORD the only OneWorld flights at ROC), to 5 daily ROC-ORD and international connections at JFK to AA. What's not to like?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I really had to check my watch to make sure that it was not April 1st!!!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Me too.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Wonder what other destinations are being lost from DCA?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by brp
Codeshares are wishful thinking, but would be awesome. Just heard a radio ad yesterday for SFO-FLL, non-stop. Of course, there'd need to be an upgrade path-does jetBlue have F?
I can understand the limits to which flights are involved in this partnership. Jetblue's mainline coach product is typically better than AA's--seats a bit more comfortable, pax more distracted by IFE, so typically a calmer cabin. On elite-heavy routes like SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK where upgrades can be tough, I could see a lot of golds or plats going JetBlue if AA miles were available. Heck, I'd do it if there was a good football game on to watch during the flight!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by dstan
Incidentally, if reciprocity does come thru, B6's JFK-BQN service would afford very convenient access to western Puerto Rico for divers interested in Desecheo, Mona, and the Parguera wall!

(As opposed to the 2-hour, middle-of-the-night, cross-island drive I did from SJU-Parguera last time )

Amen, That drive is a bit of a haul, it would be great to step off the plane and be able to get into the water with in 2 hours (Crashboat, shacks, jobo, tres palmas,etc).

The only reason i keep going into SJU (opposed to BQN) is to fit in a side stop at casa bacardi to get a couple of bottles of family reserve.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Globehopper
A simple, automated people mover shuttle between the two terminals (spanning the JFK Expressway) with post security access on both ends would help. Initially, an airside bus connecting T8 to T7 and T5 could provide immediate benefits.

How would this shuttle work? It would have to be a bus to go back and forth airside between T7 and T8. Or were you thinking of some kind of huge pedestrian bridge with moving walkways, ala DFW? Or something underground?

I'm also excited about the discussion about connecting LGA's concourses C and D behind security for club access!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
My concern is the timing of the announcement, in respect to the final determination and (hopefully) approval of ATI.

Wouldn't this type of agreement, even in its current limited scope, give ammunition to ATI's opponents (along the lines of the opponents suggesting that there is a "hidden agenda" for actions to be taken once ATI's protection is in place)?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:14 pm

While clearly the really exciting stuff would be if AA were to actually strike a serious deal whereby you could fly B6 and earn AA miles, or similar, it seems to me that what's already been announced is actually pretty interesting, despite many "I don't understand, why does this matter" type responses.

Just the simple idea of the two airlines coordinating their flights should matter quite a bit. Traditionally there have been a LOT of overlapping services/routes between the two carriers. They both have sent a ton of flights from JFK to the Los Angeles basin, as well as to Florida and some of the major Carribean destinations (SJU for example), which are highly redundant. If the realign a bit, swap slots, swap certain markets, etc, that could result in just the simple fact of more options and better service out of the NYC area.

I can't stand JetBlue personally, they drive me nuts and I don't fly them. But if they give AA more options from JFK then that's great. And I would certainly fly them short haul, especially to destinations I can't get to on AA.

I would fly B6 to New Hampshire or Vermont or anywhere in New England, which AA has pretty much abandoned. If this frees B6 up to add those or similar destinations I'll gladly take them over the Comair/DL hell or whatever options I've dealt with in the past. Or perhaps B6 will add a DFW or ORD flight out of SWF to connect with AA/OW banks of international flights, which would be fantastic. It's now impossible to get to SWF from CHI directly on any airline.

That last paragraph has some speculation of course, but just the coordination alone seems significant. And if I could actually get AA miles out of the deal in the future, well that's really something as well. But still, what we've got so far is notable.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I wonder what the APA/APFA/TWU think about this move. I could see AA further reducing flying in BOS as a result of this. I'm sure the unions aren't happy.
Other then the AA flights from BOS to MIA, DFW, ORD and SJU (hubs), you can see all the other AA mainline BOS flights eventually going away.
BA will do LHR and CDG
B6 will do all the potentail transcons (SAN,LAX,SFO,SEA.SJC,LAS).
If the partnership works maybe B6 can do ALL (maybe JFK-LAX/SFO exception) the AA non hub/non International domestic as code shares.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I like this in that it gets me from IAD to the Northeast without having to go to DCA if I want to stay with AA or a partner.. right now either its DCA or bust or fly UA to the Northeast.. heck I can't even get to ORD from IAD on AA anymore

I would like the LGB option out of IAD as well.

i hope this becomes a viable option where one can gain EQM and RDM
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
It sounds to me like AA is pushing off their routes to B6 so as AA can focus their attention to long-haul international travel. Sounds great on the surface, but without much more expanded benefits like miles earning or elite benefits, it doesn't add much value.

An ideal situation would be opening up a direct air-to-rail transfer station directly at BOS and JFK and AA code-sharing with Amtrak's Acela on the NE Corridor and earning AA miles just like SNCF and DB...now that'll be news to me!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.